PowerLine USB-C to DC Compatibility

Originally announced last September, Anker is finally preparing to release PowerLine USB-C to DC… Here’s a look at compatible devices across the four different versions:

Do you have a compatible device? If so, be sure to let us know if you are looking forward to the release of this cable!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing these details! Looks like an interesting product

1 Like

Looks good.
Wonder if any of those plugs fit Dell laptops :thinking:

1 Like

So is this as I suspected, from the lack of selector switch, that you buy one of the four versions for your laptop? So not 1 product with 4 attachments, but 4 discrete SKUs?

That is a voltage, plug size and polarity question. The diagrams above tell us the plug size, so you’d have to look up the voltage and polarity of the others above and look across.

What Dell laptop?

Thought experiment:

• someone typically makes their most expensive decision 1st, then decide their next most expensive decision 2nd.
  • so someone has one of these laptops, which come with their non-PD chargers included.
  • such a person may then want an multi AC outlet to power their laptop non-PD brick and possibly some USB ports for other devices like phone, buds.
  • So why would such a person have a USB-PD port and then use it to power this cable? Who has excess USB-PD ports they bought and use for a non-PD laptop?
  • So I am thinking this would make the most sense for travel, for a person with a non-PD laptop and another device, like a work laptop and a personal device, and just want to carry a PD charger.
2 Likes

Seems like a good cable, unfortunately I won’t be buying it since I have no use for it

1 Like

Looks like we have a winner!

As you say @professor will this come with all adaptor plugs or just one.
Personally i think it will come with all 4, but i guess time will tell.

Thanks for sharing these details @Insider

Would be interested to see if PowerLine USB-C to DC would also be compatible for Anker / soundcore products - Model Zero, Rave / Rave Mini / Trance, Wakey

That would be the easiest option to migrate existing Anker / Soundcore products to use USB-C

1 Like

Doesn’t look like it

It seems so, but I don’t think this is how the product was originally announced.

Possibly?

1 Like

Dont really see this solving problems but creating more frustration… One cable for each kind of device…

I think I can safely ignore / avoid this USB-C to DC cable.

1 Like

You just said it could be cool if it supported Anker products… Why not these devices?!

1 Like

If it is one cable with 4 attachments, may be this adds provisions for more attachments…
image image

But having a separate cable for each device does not really help.

Plus if most new laptops already support charging via USB-C… Why would these USB-C to DC charging cable be required? May be i am missing something.

I would have liked to see Anker support their own products first along with other products.

But there again is a market for every product out there… People will need it.

1 Like

Most people have only one laptop, though.

I do agree that the demand for this cable should diminish quickly over time.

1 Like

It’s very useful right now.

A laptop isn’t like earbuds- you can’t just replace it to match your universal port- because it cost so much.

So most people are stuck with their DC barrel plug until they need to upgrade their laptop.

1 Like

Still, most new laptops charge via USB-C, and if they don’t, it’s often because their input is greater than 100W, which this cable cannot solve.

Once PD supports 200W, I think almost all laptops will use USB-C.

The product does not make electronic sense to be capable of 4 different plugs. To make one cable for 4 plugs would need the USB-PD mode to be selected within the plug, not in the cable, so why that bulge in the middle of the cable? No, it would be selecting the USB-PD in the bulge and you have the plug then dumb.

I remember seeing this cable in person at the AnkerOnboard 2019 event. But don’t remember seeing any attachments. I was under the assumption it would be a DC port to USB-C. Can you confirm?

1 Like

Looks USB-C to me!

Because it has that fat middle bit, it must be selecting the USB-PD mode and possibly adding a resistor to lower the voltage a little, e.g. laptops often use 19V so the left side there is connected to a 20V capable USB-PD output, the middle of all the modes 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V, 20V then selects the 20V only, resists it down to 19V and presents it to the right side. I don’t see any joins in the connector to detach, swap, attach, therefore logically it’s a unique cable per right side shape.

1 Like

Yes :wink:

I thought I had read something about attachments, but maybe not.

Based solely on the photos, it has to be glued to a single unit one cable type, not different. The bulge in the middle must be doing the USB-PD mode selection and any voltage reduction. They could have made a different product with the selection done in the ends but photos would look totally different, the middle fat bit would be gone or you’d see a non-permanent connector to it.

1 Like

That end no way can contain the USB-PD mode selection. It could possibly hold a resistor.

Anker certainly can make a system where you buy one cable and it has a set of ends, but it would look physically totally different.

These are not big enough to have a DC-DC conversion go in within, at most they do a small amount of resistance down e.g. 20V to 19V. So you’re talking you’d have to use a Powercore / Powerport with a voltage out mode matching the laptops, e.g. a Powercore / Powerport with a 20V output mode would then offer 20V or 19V out the end.

It cannot do a buck-boost type in the size of the product in the photos, so you cannot put in say 9V 3A one end and get 20V 1A out the other.

Most people reading this will be thinking Watts, when what matters is Volts 1st, Amps 2nd. Volts determines does it work or not. For anything which works, Amps then determines how fast it is. So someone in the future will see a 45W laptop requirement and buy an Anker product 45w made up of 15V 3A and it the laptop needs 20V 2.25A so would not with this cable. Anker will have to be very clear with what Powercore/port products work with each cable due to the Voltage and no buck-boost DC-DC (other than a small step-down via resistor)