PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock network issues in standby with Big Sur (local network dead)

Hey @renef & @jasremove,

I just got my PowerExpand Elite few days ago, and just noticed the issue too. After searching around the net, it landed me here and many other related threads on the net.

I’m on the latest update of Catalina with a MacBook Pro 16" (2019), fresh clean install, with Google Fiber 1g connection.

Big Sur is still too buggy/problematic as of now for me to use.

I hope Anker is reading this thread. If not, I hope @renef still has his/her support case opened, so we can point Anker to read this and do something about this.

Here are what I understand after reading various different stuff:

• Many if not all brands of docking stations with ethernet port, are using the Realtek 8153 chipsets.

• This chipset seems to be infamous for having issues on macOS. If you google “macos 8153”, you will see quite a few results. Plus, if you read Amazon reviews of many different brand of docks, there are often various different issues with the ethernet port. And most like they are on the 8153 chipset.

• I don’t think one can avoid RTL8153 chipset, I have not found a decent dock from a decent company that doesn’t use that chipset, it must be the cheapest and easiest to implement.

• This particular problem appears to generate broadcast storm on the ethernet port when the macOS (which running with the native driver from Apple for this ethernet chipset) goes to sleep, it basically renders the LAN on the router/switch useless for everything connected to it.

• It feels like it’s more a macOS driver implementation issue. Because I notice that even speed tests have some small but notable differences (and jitterness) on the negative side. I have an older MacBook Pro using the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter, it just works better and faster with the speed test.

• Many noted that directly using the driver from Realtek’s download page for macOS up to Catalina helps address some of these issues including this broadcast storm. But I’m not keen to use that, cuz there seems to be issue loading that driver consistently, and it’s a messy business using third party driver on macOS, like you have to disable system integrity protection.

• Here is some other info that dealing with the Realtek’s driver.

• But it appears that this problem can be mitigated on the chipset firmware after some google search.

• This thread on MacRumors talked about it. Search for the word realtek, as the thread talked about other usb issues. Read the whole thread if you have time, quite interesting.
    • CalDigit worked with their customers complained about the broadcast storm, and eventually release a firmware on just the ethernet chipset that addressed it.
    • Appears that with CalDigit’s new firmware, one can use Apple’s native driver without problem instead of Realtek’s driver.
    • CalDigit only seems to has a firmware update for usb-c-pro-dock, not their flagship ts3-plus yet. And appears someone has the same broadcast storm issue with ts3-plus according to that MacRumors thread.

Side notes:

• I have a company issued Thinkpad T580 that has Thunderbolt 3 interface to connect to a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock or any other Thunderbolt 3 docks. It’s running latest Fedora 33, updated to everything latest.

• Tested this Thinkpad with this Anker dock and its ethernet port. It recognizes the realtek 8153 without any problem or needing any additional driver installation as the linux kernel already included the driver for this natively.

• The Thinkpad does not create any issue at all when it goes to sleep, and it maxes out my 1g google fiber in speed test consistently without apparent jitterness.

• So it appears the linux kernel has a much better implementation of this driver for 8153?

• Even if I have my network cable plugged into the Anker dock, I don’t have issue if my Macbook Pro is fully shutdown or if I unplug the Thunderbolt3 cable connecting to the dock causing the dock to go to sleep with a green light. This only seems to create broadcast storm if the macOS goes to sleep.

Conclusions:

• Seems the issue can be addressed in the firmware side?

• Reading off the net, seems some standalone Thunderbolt3 to ethernet dongle (even though it’s likely 8153 chipset too) works fine. That means hardware vendor implementation of the chipset could make a difference, like with proper firmware.

• I like this dock after looking at specs of various other docks, and in general, I like many Anker’s products and its support. But the ethernet connection is one of my top need on getting a dock. If this doesn’t work probably, I may have to return this to Amazon, and get a different brand and try my luck (even though they mostly all are 8153 chipset). Sigh…

Actions:

• @renef, if you still have your support case, can you ask Anker to read this thread and see if they can fix it on firmware? If CalDigit can, then they can I suppose. I’d assume, Anker has relationship with Realtek and/or Apple to sort this out and get some insight. Maybe Realtek know what CalDigit did to fix this, and can tell Anker how to fix this.

• I may open a case with Anker before I decide to return it. This is not a cheap piece of accessory, it’s $250 list price, I really hope there is a decent support on it. It’s disappointing, I really want to like this dock, I don’t want to waste my time on this. :frowning:

Thanks for reading up until now, sorry for the long ass post. :slight_smile:

-AC

@achanwl: Thanks to your post I learned a lot. “Broadcast storm” captures the problem perfectly.

Currently my ticket is not high priority. I have currently received an offer from support to exchange the device for another one.

However, this is already the third device with identical behavior, so what should this change about our problem?

Support confirmed compatibility with Big Sur, but provides no evidence that the driver installation actually works under Big Sur. All references are to Catalina. Support knows why no evidence is provided for Big Sur…

Perhaps the voice of the customer will become clearer if each affected user sends a ticket to support with reference to this ticket and that device back for replacement or refund I don’t expect support to provide a solution in the short term though.

But i will be happy to add to my ticket again and add to my originally planned exchange with reference to this ticket. Since the exchange does not seem promising, the thread may help to make the urgency clearer in the meantime. “Wallet” and “reputation” may be worth for something…

Just a note to say that I am also experiencing the same exact issue. Strongly considering returning this while I can.

One of the things that I want to say is, are we sure this isn’t an issue with Big Sur in general? I am finding reports all over the internet about ethernet dropping.

I am having the exact same issue!! As soon as my MBP goes to sleep, my Orbi network gets knocked out… shutting off the Anker hub fixes the issue

Found a workaround… connected my Anker USB- Ethernet dongle to the hub…

Works fine… but I still want a fix…

2 Likes

I have the same issue and the same solution …

A short update on the problem and my contact with Anker Support.

I have requested that the ticket be periodised higher as there is still no resolution. I have referred to this thread.

The message was very sobering and only expressed regret that I was not satisfied with the product. I then made my displeasure clear once again, as the quality of the reply was not satisfactory.

I was then offered an Anker 20000mA battery pack as compensation - WTF? On your hint with external USB dongels, I then asked that - should the offer continue - a (cheaper) USB-C network adapter should be sent.

This was granted and I can confirm that this workaround of an external network adapter really helps. The standby no longer has any effect and there is no broadcast storm. In this mail it was also mentioned that the problem was discussed with the product management - but apparently did not result in a status.

Despite this solution, there is a problem with Anker’s support promise: it is not being kept! Or from the point of view of the ordinary employee: it cannot be kept. Apparently the problems are not perceived or it simply does not interest. I wouldn’t be surprised if the USB-C network adapter is always included in new sales :wink:

But I am with you - a solution for the actual device would really be better and in the sense of a customer-oriented orientation. Since the last contact, however, I have found a solution but have given up hope. My recommendation: get an adapter (from Anker Support) or return the crappy device.

Can confirm I am also having problems with the Ethernet. I called my ISP and they couldn’t solve it and suggested it might be the Anker hub. Based on this thread, it seems it is.

For me, I have it plugged in via Ethernet and it has only ever shown being connected once for a brief period of time. The rest of the time it simply says “cable unplugged”.

I’m a software engineer using three screens and a ton of external devices. The last couple weeks I’ve been experiencing incredibly long fetch times for software dependencies on web-based repositories. I’ve done just about everything to diagnose it, including reviewing network activity via Wireshark. My IT counterpart has seen a huge volume of failed or “permission denied” errors coming from my machine. My question is: does this “broadcast storm” only happen when you have an Ethernet cable plugged in? Because initially I was just using WiFi. And in fact I’ve pretty much only been using that, since the Ethernet doesn’t seem to work.

Very disappointing for a $250 top-of-the-line hub. Will definitely be filing a support request and demanding this adapter. Though I got the hub to get away from adapters!!!

I have experienced the same issue here with the non-Thunderbolt version of this dock that is straight over USB-C.

Can we have a firmware update for both docks that rectify this issue? It’s very annoying that I can’t just use the product as it is intended and have to remember to turn the dock off when I’m not using it.

Raise a ticket with support

support@anker.com

Had the same problem as @renef and found a solution that has worked for me.

I received my PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock last week and had the same issue.

I have it hooked up to a 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro also running Big Sur and noticed every time it went into standby none of my other devices could access the internet and I couldn’t control smart lights or my garage door. My solution at first was just unplug the ethernet cable when I wasn’t using that MacBook. I was disappointed with that workaround because with the price of the dock everything should just work.

I found a solution that works for me by coincidence when the next day I just happened to upgrade my router. After upgrading my router everything works as it should even when the 16 inch MacBook Pro is in standby and the light on the dock is green and ethernet cable still plugged in to the dock.

My old router was a Linksys EA7300 and I upgraded to an Asus RT-AX82U.

I am not sure why the router upgrade has everything working as it should. I wouldn’t think the router should have anything to do with it but apparently in my case it did.

Hi @Mezocyklone unfortunately this has not helped with me yet. I have an ASUS RT-AX86U and a AVM Fritzbox 7490 working as routers. I connected both of them individually as routers during my test. However, I did not notice any change, the Network Broadcast Storm still occurred.

Hey, @renef I am also having that problem with my Anker PowerExpand and MBP 2019 running Big Sur. I just finished reading through this thread and it’s the exact same problem. I have had to turn the dock off when not using my MacBook to ensure that my other network devices are able to function correctly. But there is one thing that I have noticed in my situation that I don’t think anyone has mentioned.

1. The problem is isolated to my switch. I have a main router in the house, but I have 1 ethernet cable run to a 5-port desktop switch, and my multiple desktop systems, my NAS, and my Anker dock are attached to that switch. When the MBP goes into standby, it knocks out the connection for anything attached to the switch, BUT it does not affect any of the other devices that are connected via ethernet directly to the router. It doesn’t mess up anything connected via WiFi, either.

At this point, I may try contacting both Apple and Anker to see if there is anything in the works on either end. It doesn’t sound like Anker is interested in any kind of firmware update for the dock, but perhaps approaching Apple Support to ask for an updated .dext version of the .kext driver that you mentioned.

Also, have you tried contacting Realtek support to see if they may have an updated driver for Big Sur?

Update I emailed Realtek support, will report back with their response.

1 Like

Hi @Travis_Dykstra,no, so far I had only tried to define the problem as precisely as possible so that Anker can obtain a solution from the manufacturers or itself. Unfortunately, this attempt has failed so far.

On the basis of this thread, different usage scenarios may reveal other aspects that help to analyze the cause. For example, routers, switches and network segmentations used.

Since I currently have a working setting (USB-C J45 dongle connected to the dock), my willingness to continue to hassle with Anker support (in the truest sense of the word) is very low. I had hoped that the people in charge at Anker would take responsibility for the problem as soon as they saw this thread.

I don’t currently have the energy and time for problem description and QA with other manufacturers - especially when they retreat to the position that it’s not their hardware or implementation.

But I am happy for any support, should you see possibilities or have contact possibilities, where this problem can be addressed. Thanks for already contacting Realtek support, I look forward to hearing back.

That’s an assumption.

Like all good geeks, we test our assumptions (don’t we) by observations.

Hence guys I think it’s move to support email, if no help then form conclusions about returning items and/or not buying. If they do reply by email then post here so others know.

My theories are that it’s too much effort for a support person to scan the random chatter here for where they can support, so email is best. There’s also a suspicious set of threads where some people seem to reply as different users to same thread to fake larger issues. Emails with serial numbers and proof of purchase is harder to fake mass venting.

I needed to reply to this thread as I am experiencing the same issue. The network has been experiencing issues since I added the first PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock to a MacBook Pro 2019 16".

I tracked back the problem directly to the Dock as the issue does not occur for days when the dock is removed. I can see the port error and the it occurs only for the specific port where the dock is connected. Added the dock and only the laptop directly on the main router connected via Ethernet cable. The network keeps reporting that the port for the DOCK on the router disconnects and reconnects constantly. The bigger issue is that the problem takes the other devices offline and results in a drop of all devices on the network in the office.

I have removed the dock for now, but it is needed for the external devices and HDMI for the office laptops.

Even crazier, none of the docks have Anker QR Code stickers or serial numbers but came directly form Anker via Amazon.

That’s smelling fishy, makes me wonder if it’s a fake.

Email support@anker.com with copious photos as I’ve never seen an Anker product without S/N lurking somewhere on the product, it can be in very small letters.

Are you sure it said Ankerdirect and not just Anker from one of these sellers? Someone can state they are Anker without actually being Anker.

I found this post doing a related google search and thought I would chime in. I am not using the Anker dock but I tested a CalDigt USB-C Pro Dock and it had the exact same issue you are describing. I have also had this issue with USB C dongles that do power passthrough and with a Samsung Thunderbolt 3 Monitor with ethernet built in. All the devices use the same Realtec NIC.

The problem is when the computer goes to sleep (or is disconnected while the dock still has power) the NIC sends a pause frame. I won’t go into details (link below for that) but some switches forward the pause frame to all the other ports effectively freezing the entire network. It behaves like a broadcast storm but its different.

http://jeffq.com/blog/the-ethernet-pause-frame/

I solved this problem by getting a managed network switch that could be configured to completely disabled ethernet flow control. Every unmanned switch I tested seem to have this issue. I am an IT guy and I drove myself nuts trying to figure out what was taking out my network so I’m hoping this post helps someone who happens across this discussion.

I want to add that I am seeing the same thing with the 13-in-1 USB-C dock and a Dell laptop. The network goes offline as soon as the dock goes into standy. I have been just turn the dock off to keep the issue at bay but finally started looking for a proper solution and found this thread.

Anyone have any luck resolving this that didn’t involve a USB ethernet adapter?

1 Like

Created an account literally just to share the exact same experience. I’ve been troubleshooting this for SEVEN HOURS straight today. Isolated early to this same Anker dock, but took me a while to isolate the behavior. Devices plugged solely in to a stand alone switch and you’ll be fine, but the second I introduce any sort of routing in to the mix (in my case, plugging the wireless satellite AP back in to the same switch), the network connectivity to my NAS will drop within ~10 seconds of unplugging a MacBook from the dock. It’s absolutely “broadcast storm” behavior.