PowerCore III 10K Wireless: great for certain people (We Love Testing)

Overall, the PowerCore III 10K Wireless Battery/Charger is a fantastic portable, powerful, travel-friendly, and daily-use battery pack. It’s now my go-to in my travel bag, and I could easily see using this at work and take it home with me (if going into offices was still a thing).

For now, we’re using it as our primary charger in the great room of our house due to its versatility. It’s really nice to be able to unplug and move the charger to the living room or kitchen if you need to charge while reading a recipe, for instance. It feels about the size + weight of an iPhone with a big case on. We also haven’t had issues with charging through a pretty thick case (with a magnet on the lower third of it). Compared to some other wireless chargers, this one sits super flat and is nearly impossible to not place correctly.

I’m excited to really put this to the test when I start traveling again. The kickstand has been useful even just as a holder for my phone at my desk, but one of the obvious use-cases is on a plane where it becomes a welcomed addition for watching movies. While not something to rely on often, using the supplied USB-C cord as the last resort for powering my MacBook Air can be quite handy if you’re in a pinch and need a bit more time (it will essentially allow you to work without draining the MacBook battery, or charge very slowly).

A downside that some other reviewers have mentioned, and that I assume all 1-3 star reviews on Amazon will say is that it doesn’t come with a wall charger and requires a USB-C charger which is not quite as prevalent as other types. For the newer MacBooks and iPad users, though, this won’t be an issue…it might actually be preferred knowing it brings down the cost. If you’re going to be traveling with it, there’s no need to be carrying around multiple so you can use the same one as your laptop/iPad.

I’d also only give 6/10 points for intuitiveness, which I think might make this battery/charger harder to recommend to some non-technical folks. There’s one button with multiple uses and not an obvious way to understand what the different lights mean. To turn on the wireless charging in battery mode, you have to click once to see a blue light (it’s not automatic upon detection of a phone), and if you’re charging AirPods or other headphones/watches that use a lower-level charge you’ll need to click it twice to see a green light. The phone stand is also not super intuitive as it looks more like some kind of hook than a stand.

As for value, $49.99 feels a bit high for the amount of storage (10,000mAh), especially when compared to the current price tag of $19.99 for a non-wireless charging option (so $30 premium for slower wireless charging + rarely used phone stand). Note that the wireless components in this one are only adding 1oz + 0.55in of height to the charger…pretty slick that they fit all of that in without giving up much!

In summary, I’d recommend this charger if you’re someone that has wireless charging devices, are somewhat technical, and own another USB-C device already (and have that wall charger). It becomes a lot easier if you’re someone in the market for both a wireless charging option at home + a portable battery. A bit harder to recommend as a battery to someone like my parents, though, which might limit the opportunity for holiday gifting something like this.

Something I didn’t mention was that it comes with a travel pouch as many Anker products do, but I never find myself using them…are they just becoming wasteful at this point? Let me know in the comments if the travel pouch is something you use or not. In this case, it might actually be helpful to put both your phone + charger in the pouch to keep them wirelessly connected while traveling in your bag. There might be some overheating issues, so I’d be curious if someone from Anker could weigh in on that here.

Hope you found the review helpful…sorry it’s a bit delayed. It seems like there was a delay in getting these shipped out.

6 Likes

Review :+1:

1 Like

Love your thoughts and photos @parterburn
Mine has become and everyday carry item too and i like the case, stays in the case all the time when not in use.
I don’t use mine while plugged into a mains socket.
If a 15000 or 20000mah version lands i will upgrade mine for that.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve seen that view come up a few times now. 20Ah would be less pocketable, less of an EDC. I own a 20Ah (non-wireless) but carry the house with 10Ah as its lighter in pocket and 10Ah is ample for a day. So I imagine 20Ah would be for places you regularly sit down and no wall socket nearby and you don’t have to recharge it for a few days?

Yes the lack of a bundled charger I can imagine is a problem to those who don’t read.

I would like these “not included” words to point to a bundle in each country of an 18W charger to give more chance for noobs to get a charger if they don’t have one yet.

Surprised yours didn’t rattle, is that a sign of a few have a slacker manufacturing tolerance?

I’d expect the next iteration to be 20W, thinner, and a 20Ah version as it seems to be a common ask. I’d like the stand ditched but I see you imagine it would be useful on a flight.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to also

https://community.anker.com/testing_club/completed

You’ll have a place on screen to click link(s) to your review.

1 Like

Agree @professor that the 20ah won’t be as pocketable.
But the 10ah sits in the backpack so from that perspective it wouldn’t make a huge difference to me.
The extra capacity would just mean I could charge my phone and Debs too and it would still last another day/outing without a charge.

Im excited to see what v3 brings.

2 Likes

This would make a great xmas gift!

1 Like

Nice review. And yea the price is pretty high but I guess it’s a premium you pay for portable powerbank + wireless charger combo

2 Likes

Nice review

1 Like

Nice review and photos! :clap:t3:

1 Like

I think this will drop to around the £30 at some point, maybe New Year sales @Shivam_Shah?

1 Like

We’ve seen a lot of Anker products drop soon after the launch so yea I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sales

2 Likes

Eventually. The floor price of the 10000 PD slim is £16, the cost of Qi is about £4-5 so I’d expect a floor price around £21.

There will be some development costs which requires a number of unit sales so I can’t predict dates.

Yes I’d have thought £30 is viable soon.

The next part is my wild speculation, I’m writing it so I can either be shown right or wrong, “putting my neck out”. I can’t edit my posts eventually so this becomes a fixed prediction eventually.

I think the outer casing of all Powercore can have an embedded Qi transmitter, as most of the rigidity of the casing comes from the external shape, not the middle of the larger sides. So it can be structurally weaker in the middle without making the Powercore more prone to damage.

I think therefore the thickness and weight penalty of Qi embedded in the case will reduce, to the point the larger Powercore (10Ah - 30Ah) you’d not particularly notice a size or weight penalty.

I think the initial crude method of “if Qi transmits, drop wired by 10W regardless of need” can make the electronics cost of Qi be low, around the $4-$5 range. Later more intelligent schemes of sensing Qi needs and reducing wired output by less would be more costly and so take more time to happen and even more time to happen at low cost. So the method of this 10K wireless is crude but I think can drop in cost.

I think the role of wireless in phones, buds, watches, is just going to keep increasing, I think a wireless buds case will move into the buds charging wirelessly directly. I think the phones will be recharging buds and Powercore recharging phones and buds will just happen.

I see the cost penalty of Qi being $4-$5 so it becomes a de-factor “why not” like how 18W now is de-facto common over the previous 10W with a $4 cost penalty. (10K Slim vs 10K PD Slim)

What I cannot predict is dates, which products when. My gut is the 20Ah will come next using the same technology as in this 10A product, so a little thicker and quite a price hike. I dread to think but I get $60-$70 type launch prices if I extrapolate - cost doubled = launch price. My gut is then the 10Ah 3rd gen will happen sleeker and lower cost, then the 20Ah sleeker, til it blends into the “no news” sometime 2022/3.

We’ll see…

2 Likes

Solid review and great photos. Nicely done,

1 Like

Solid review and great photos. Nicely done,

1 Like

I think this will drop to around the £30 at some point, maybe New Year sales

1 Like

Nice review

1 Like

If you’re going to reply might be a good idea to not copy paste someone else’s

2 Likes

Great job. Very detailed and in depth review
I can tell you put a lot of time and effort in :clap::wink:

:100: this. I have worked over the last year to convert all of my tech from my phone to my work laptop over to USB-C charging devices. 20ah charger with qi would change how I could define “mobile”

2 Likes