PowerCore II 13000 long term storage

Is it better to store a PowerCore II 13000 fully charged or completely discharged?

I want to buy one, but I want to store it as a back up to my PowerCore II 10000. I’m thinking it would be better to just put it away when it arrives, and not charge it.

I haven’t had to use my PowerCore II 10000 yet, so I just drained it by charging devices instead of using house current, just to keep the PowerCore properly maintained.

It was a week in the hospital at Christmas time where I realized I should have a power bank handy for emergencies like that, but I don’t normally need a power bank, since I don’t use my phone much, and I’m home every day

But I really like the dual ports on the new 13000.

1 Like

Complete discharging is bad.
It should be kept charged, but not fully charged.

You will find more about, by using the magnifier (upper left corner)
and search for such questions.

Ideally you’d own two or three smaller Powercore, use one then cycle through the next then the next, so each get used a little over time. Charged, used, recharged, stored, then used a month or two later, repeat, with one being actively used now and then again later as you swap between them. That way you always have a fully charged backup and they are never left alone too long.

That verification your backup actually works is thus continual, every few weeks you’d be swapping and so knowing it worked. If your backup were to fail you’d know while the working one exists pending the postie to replace backup. As such the backup concept disappears as you have two or three and each is used alternatively, you don’t have a dedicated backup.

If you didn’t want to do the ideal then at least try to swap between them as often as reasonable.

The issue is not long term storage, the issue is the false assumption, which grows over time, that your backup is actually still functional. The longer you leave it, the longer there is for it to fail, such as it got cooked in a hot place without you realising. So the idea of a backup causes more chances the backup fails.

If you did want to ignore the best advice, then store it roughly 2/3rd full in a cool, not cold, not hot, place like in a drawer in main part of house away from sunshine and worst of heat and cold. If it’s not shocked by cold or heat it should last month’s between uses and years before it’s totally dead.

I do also recommend people avoid having one big Powercore as it’s more likely to fail. Two or ideally 3 smaller ones are much harder to fail. Smaller Powercore can be kept with you all the time, useful for you or anyone else.

The larger Powercore use multiple cells which all have to be working for the Powercore to work. So larger Powercore fail faster. There is a voltage balancer inside which can cope only so far with one weak cell.

I have 3 10000 and use as above.

2 Likes

Thank you. I bought my PowerCore II 10000 and a 5000 hybrid in early January, and I just now exhausted them by charging my phone and my wife’s Samsung tablet, and then recharged them both for storage.

I did this to follow the instructions, which say to deplete them and recharge every 4 months or so, for proper maintenance. So I will do this again in July or August.

As I said previously, I don’t normally need a power bank, but you never know what comes up in life, like a week in the hospital. An unexpected event is not the time to be ordering stuff you need.

My question was regarding the best practice if I want to avoid doing what I just did. What if I ordered a PowerCore II 13000, and just put it in a drawer without using it or charging it? Just brand new, put away.

If I left it like that for a year, is that bad practice?

The impression I’m getting here is that best practice is for any and all power banks coming out of the factory, they need to be cycled as I have just done. So even a PowerCore left in the Anker warehouse is being abused if not cycled (and of course they can’t do that to an unsold product). But with product flow, this isn’t an issue. They don’t sit on the shelves in warehouses.

So batteries like what’s in these can’t sit for long, ever. They must be cycled periodically, right?

Each cell is unique as it’s a chemical process and have a destined lifespan so we can only use vague words like typical and expect.

The typical warehouses that store these until you buy have better regulated temperatures than a typical home, so they’d typically age faster at home.

They leave Anker factory 2/3 charged and stored for months waiting for purchase, so yes that’s a typically good practice.

If you did store them 2/3rd full for a few months then used, discharged recharged to 2/3 stored, they’d probably last year’s (typical 4-5 years).

So it’s not that storing them unused for a year is worse for the powerbank than 4 months, it’s that more time is spent with a failed unit you didn’t know it had failed, the purpose of it being a backup is weakened the longer you go without verification it’s working.

The issue is that over 4 months it may fail and you’d not know. If that’s ok for you are you don’t really need these then you’re doing the next best thing.

If you don’t normally need a powerbank then consider just using one say once a month to charge your phone and verify its working.

It isn’t that power cycling is good or bad for Powerbank, it’s that doing it verifies the unit is fully working and knowing it’s failed is useful as you can act. A cell ages a little every time it’s used, typically there’s 300-500 cycled of life so a full cycle say monthly would use 10% of the life over years so isn’t significant, but what it does tell you it’s fully working which is significant as useful knowledge. A backup rarely tested is a bad backup.

1 Like

If it shows you how charged it is by having LED lights, I’d keep it with enough charge for 1 or 2 LED lights to be on

1 Like

This is what I normally do. I have several 20,000 and a few of the 10,000 and I cycle through them.

1 Like

10Ah is a good EDC size, so it’s what I leave the house with almost every day. I use one til it needs a recharge, and then cycle through.

20Ah for me is too big for an EDC, they are more backup, I use them in the home in lieu of a long USB cable as a proxy for a charger, usually for a tablet.

So on average I have 65Ah of power (assume the actively use 10Ah is mid-charged) which is enough for all the gadgets for a week.

Add a couple of Nano chargers, and two solar panels, and camping stoves and fuel (and water and food), it becomes a system for “whatever”.

In reality the most taxing thing I’ve had this last year was breaking my leg, I used the 10A while waiting for surgery.

So planning for the zombie apocolypse covers simply falling down too.

2 Likes