PowerCore Fusion 5000 and MacBook 12

I would like to replace the complete power supply MacBook 12 with a wall charger with built-in powerbank, two questions:

1. When connected to a power outlet, Fusion will be able to charge the MacBook 12?
  2. Without an outlet, Fusion will be able to charge the MacBook 12?
1 Like

The MacBook is a 29W input device.

When plugged into power the Powercore Fusion is a 10.5W output device.

When not plugged into power the Powercore Fusion is a 15W output device.

So the Powercore Fusion is between roughly 1/3rd and 1/2th the output of the maximum input to the MacBook.

That may still be useful to you in certain contexts such as when you:

• want to slow the drain of the MacBook, as 10.5W or 15W input is better than nothing
  • slower recharging the MacBook.
1 Like

Well, I like universal solutions that can fully replace several devices. In my scenario, PowerCore Fusion should provide power to the MacBook, iPhone, and serve as a spare battery just in case.
I hope the Anker will release a more powerful PowerCore Fusion with USB-C port, and added the function of the HUB, it is actual for a MacBook with only USB-C ports, it would not be priced. Another would be the strap of Smart Watches performed the function of the cable, not to carry a cable, something I suffered :slight_smile: thank you for the detailed response.

2 Likes

WE can hope but we have to be also realistic.

The Powercore Fusion is a fusion of a portable charger and a wall plug charger. The wallplug has a common upper weight limit.

Powerport 2 - 3.4oz

Powerport 4 - 4.8oz

Powercore Fusion - 6.7oz

Also the bigger the wall charger in the dimension of distance off the wall the more that weight tends to pull the charger out of the wall. Powerport2,4 and Fusion sized compared.

The Fusion is a combination of a battery and charger. The battery inside the Fusion next to a charger of comparable Wattage of what is inside the Fusion.

A Lithium cell can be recharged at about 1x its capacity so 5000mAh 3.7V 18Wh can input around a safe max of 18W and a safe max output of 1.5x-2x so 24W-36W but when you place the cell next to the charging electronics these safe upper limits are lower. The Fusion is a 15W output.

So there is no debate here from a safety perspective that if you place Lithium cells in the same package as the charging circuitry (merging a Powerport with a Powercore) you have a lower tolerance for the cells inside that package to be charged. Hence the bigger you make a “Fusion” the slower has to be. Thermally therefore if you had say a Powerport with 36W output and a Powercore with a 36W output, the merging of these must either be physically larger or must charge slower. This problem becomes exponential at scale as surface area (cooling) grows slower than the volume (heat).

So take for example the only USB-PD portable charger, it’s shape is long thin type to dissipate the heat across as much area as possible. The larger the Wattage the more flat it has to become, less rounded. Also see the size of the charger.

If you were to merge these then the heat from the charger is inside the package with the Lithium cells. So where exactly would you place the pins? Well to make it flat still and to make it not fall out of the wall you would have to place on the wider side so it is flush with the wall. So then imagine how many wall plugs such a shaped item would actually fit in?

So you see the problem with some of what you ask.

• if you place a bigger cell inside, the whole wallplug becomes larger and heavier
  • if you make the fusion longer off the wall it will pull itself off the wall more easily
  • if you make it flatter against the wall to make its distance off-wall shorter then it becomes wider and so places in tighter spots less easily. For certain contexts this not a problem.

I would say the Fusion can be improved, from the photos you see it seems somewhat larger than it needs to be. There can be a USB-C output version. Possibly having the plug flatter against the wall could be tolerated by some. A modest improvement is viable. Where I see the problem is a substantial increase of Wattage and Wh are constrained by the weight and size issues. If you place a larger Wh cell inside to both increase capacity and Wattage it becomes increasingly unrealistically large and heavy and will simply fall out the wall more easily. In travel situations the wall socket is more worn and pinches the pins less and already the Fusion easily falls out. I own a Fusion and mine goes in my EDC to the office travel bag as the plugs in the office are new and not worn and widely open to fit a fat wide charge, but I do not take when I fly and into hotels as the plugs in terminals and hotels are simply too worn the Fusion simply falls out.

Probably you could consider merging a Lithium cell with an off-wall type so there is a cord to the charger, so the weight is not pulling on the wall. So place a cell inside:

But even then due to the thermal issues you are putting together that which should be kept separate.

2 Likes

Hi everyone and thank you for this amazing topic, a bit old but coming back to life. I am, too, interested in a charger-battery which would allow me to not have to be constantly reminded that I forgot to charge my battery…

@professor, thank you for your explanations, I can see that an all-in-1 device is difficult to create. However, does Anker offer batteries that can both be charged AND deliver power at the same time?

Yes I think there’s an Apple specific product