PowerCore+ 26800 PD not charging Macbook Pro 13' (2016)

“The toucher bar mac will not be charged by the battery”

My MBP is a touchbar at model. What did you mean by this?

1 Like

There were reported issues that ‘touchbar’ models could not charge correctly from Anker powerbanks. Not certain if this related purely to the 26800+ (non PD), to the initial PD release (can’t recall if initial ones were pulled) or the current release. Read it was something to do with flow reversal, so essentially your Mac tries to charge the powerbank rather than the other way around. Your does have PD listed on the PowerCore label, to rule out an incorrect one being sent?

I would drop support@anker.com an email with the serial and purchase date of your PowerCore to see if they can shed anymore light on the ‘touchbar’ model charging issue.

1 Like

sorry for delayed response but the toucher will significantly diminish your battery. "That characterization came from user yillbs on MacRumors.com. “I don’t think anyone can convince me that this thing isn’t just flat out the worst battery life ever on a MacBook,” yillbs wrote, clearly frustrated. “I’ve been defending it like mad, but at this point… how can you? 4.42 hours is just bad.”-PC world. As you can see your touch bar will kill the incoming charge at a rate that is ridiculous, even if you turned it off it would still affect the performance. you would need to have brightness almost zero, touchbar off, all apps/pages closed, and back lit keyboard off to maybe get a bit of charge. unless Anker releases a 60W PD in quarter 4, (please Anker!!!) which would be Novemeber/December, I do not believe that it will work for you.

P.S I haven’t tried this but maybe two power core 26800 PDs connect to the computer may work. note, I do not condone this and am not responsible for fire, damage, burns, lacerations, and or death :smiley:

heres proof it can work, @Arwen is right thought the stock cable is required.

tried to get wire, powercore+ 21000 usb-c and mac battery all in one picture.

But it works!!!

2 Likes

If you click on the battery icon, does it say charging? I get the lightening bolt as well, but it simply says “not charging”.

1 Like

yes, it does say charging

This battery does not charge the MPB 13’ late 2016 with touch bar. This should be reflected on the products page.

1 Like

this review have a multimeter stick to a mbp touchbar and it does charge

I thought I had the same issue, however I realized when it wasn’t charging I had my dual display hooked up (not a normal use case for the battery pack as I was on my desk, however I had just received it and was testing) along with having Photoshop and a few other programs that take a lot of power. When I unhooked the second display and closed a few of those programs the Mac began to charge off the power pack. I assume when it says its not charging its because the Mac is using too much power to be able to charge and run off the battery pack at the same time as the battery pack only provides 30W opposed to the 87W Apple Charger.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know that!

This setup still does not work for me.

Only Chrome is running at the lowest brightness setting. “Lightening bolt” shows up in the menu bar, but upon clicking it says “Battery Is Not Charging”. I’ve tried 2 Anker 26800’s with 2 different MacBooks Pro 13’s (late 2016). Tested with both the included cable and Apple cable.

1 Like

It specifically says it will not charge macbook pro with touchbar, powerdraw exceeds the power output of the charger itself. It will however as another member pointed out charge the macook pro when it is turned off and not being used

It is working for me.

Did you ever get this to work? Disappointed. I specifically bought this battery for this purpose.

1 Like

Same here! I had a MacBook Pro 15 2017 (Touch Bar) and PowerCore+ PD 26800 is unable to charge the MBP at all. it shows “Not charging”, there is no LED indicator on the Power Bank.
I did press on the button before plugging in it…
NOTE: it is difficult to tell if the Power Bank is turned on or not

1 Like

Sorry it’s not charging for you, but it does say in the description of the product when buying from an authorized source that it will NOT charge a macbook pro with touchbar. The touchbar draws too much power, it can trickle charge it when not n use but even then it takes a long time.

1 Like

Interesting… you would think that the included cable would work.

Here’s a tip from @AnkerSupport

Where? I see that it does not support high-speed charging, but that doesn’t mean it won’t charge it.

Rest assured that if you are unable to get it to work, Anker will take care of the issue. Just reach out to their support team by emailing support@anker.com if that’s what it comes down to.

Do you think Apple is going to phase out the touchbar? There seems to be a ton of hate.

It use to be listed as not cmpatible woth macbook pro touchbar, not sure when they removed it but it was there

It was listed once, I think both in the Amazon / Anker site description and also the imagery (I think) but it looks like it has been removed in the mean time. Maybe Apple patches / firmware in the interim have resolved the compatibility issue, as it was I believe, to do with flow reversal where the Mac was trying to charge rather than be charged.

On the Pro’s I’ve used with it on I can’t say I’ve ever used it beyond speed scrolling through a video clip. I think the main bulk of hate comes from the extra premium you have to pay to get a 15" Pro just because of the touchbar (which most will not use beyond the escape and F1-12 keys). As for phase out, I wouldn’t think anytime soon as Apple are not known from walking away from a self created standard, even if it’s poorly received (a la homepod). Probably got another two refreshes before they replace with another ‘brave idea’

2 Likes