Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

Personally I think it will succeed, @ndalby is right about people not choosing to upgrade, but not everyone jumped to the iPhone 7, I have been waiting for the new iPhone because its the 10 year anniversary. Also everyone is already excited since the name “iPhone 8” is what everyone calls it. Apple makes quality and reliable devices, for example my dad used the iPhone 4 until last September, he had it for years not deciding to get a new one until the OS was outdated and could not be updated any more. Android has great OS and customization and thats what everyone talks about, but thats not what everyone needs. For some people a phone is to talk, text, take a photo or two, check email and thats it. Its the idea that its simple, lasts for years and won’t get viruses. So yeah it will succeed like all apple products

1 Like

I like Apple’s attention to detail (hardware and software), the frequent software updates, and if you have other devices, they all work seamlessly together (airdrop, airplay, continuity). Android is not as polished as iOS. Apple also sold me on the idea that they make the hardware and he said software, and that a tweaked version of the same software isn’t meant to be whole bunch of other manufacturers’ phones. Therefore not only are there more apps on iOS, but they are also more optimized (they’re also often better and recieve updates first). As for those people that switched to Android and then reverted back, I’d relate it to the power of the Apple ecosystem. Honestly a lot of them probably have reasons they really care about but either not obvious enough/too difficult to explain or are afraid the person who asked them would call them stupid.

Personally, I’m also in love with iOS animations :heart_eyes:

@AnkerOfficial why do you choose iPhones over Android phones?

I’m kind of hoping that the iPhone SE gets an update this fall so I can move back to that form factor. I want to upgrade from my iPhone 6, but I don’t want to lose the aux port.

iPhone 6 should be perfect for another year at least. I do not recommend switching to SE. If they come out with SE 2 (which I doubt they will), it probably won’t have a headphone jack either. Besides, the SE is way too small. Heck, the iPhone 6 is pretty darn small for my liking. Either wait a year and see if you still need a headphone jack on your next phone or switch to Android. :grinning::wink:

I have attended an event in Canon where a guest speaker, Ron Nixon, a cyber security expert, told us that it is a myth that apple is harder to hack than an android.

He himself worked as a hacker and cyber security expert during his time and told us that the only reason why apple seems “safer” is because of its small market share. He said it is not worth the effort as a hacker to try and hack apple users when the android market is 85%-89%. It just doesnt make sense from a hacker’s business perspective to go for a lower market share when a lions share is that of an android.

Also keep in mind that as bigger the market share becomes, the more fragmented the OS is and the easier it is for hackers to exploit those on super old OS on android. Apple can tout all they want about having 90% people on the latest OS but they do not have a 85%+ market share worth of users to try to streamline their OS to.

Because I’ve become accustomed to using iOS system…:joy:

1 Like

Inertia.

2 Likes

Likewise! It made getting a new phone more exciting because you had to wait the full two years (or most of it, at least) before you could get a new phone. C’est la vie.

1 Like

That is hilarious! LOL!

1 Like

I just moved moved from iPhone 6s to a new android a few days ago, and I’m really pleased with the features Apple staunchly refuses to add to their phones. Moreover, Apple’s software has gotten more and more proprietary with every new OS and device release. I finally broke down when I was just trying to transfer some photos to a computer and Apple’s stupid autosync deleted ALL of my music. Amateur mistake, I know, but sometimes I’m trying to do things quickly and Apple gets in the way every time. So will iPhone 8 succeed? I don’t know, but they sure lost me with their most recent releases and their creeping control of my stuff.

Also I saved several hundred dollars, got a faster processor, more RAM, more storage, more customization, and an overall better experience with the new android. Agreed iPhone 8 is not worth the asking price. None of their hardware is anymore.

For reference, I have a macbook air 11", iPad Air II, 27" iMac, and various old iphones, etc. I’ve been a Mac user for years and this is the beginning of my transition away from their stuff. They are no longer innovators, and their design culture is myopic and cultish, designed to extract as much money from their customers as possible. Many will keep on playing that game, but I gave up. Bye Apple!

7 Likes

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android :sunglasses:

1 Like

Eventually Apple lost you hahahaha :joy:

The step before a changed mind is an open mind. When I show an Android device to an iPhone user, the initial reaction is inertia - it is just different - and re-learning effort. So then I end up having to demo and educate, then they see it is just different, but not necessarily worse, and then talk about cost. Ultimately you can run the same app in the same number of finger movements, for roughly half the cost.

Then, talk about SIM-only cellular plans, and an unlocked phone. Typically you can buy the phone outright and negotiate / find a SIM-only deal and then the monthly costs from say $70-$100 to $30-$40. At any time if one carrier has an offer, you can then be just a phone call away from taking that without any lock in. For example I run 4 lines with T-Mobile with 10GB/month/line data and I pay $135 total incl tax.

Android devices are between $100 and $1000 so one approach is to buy two Android devices and move your SIM across as the situation needs. In the same way you’d not wear your best clothes in a dirty environment, you’d take your cheaper phone as a backup phone.

1 Like

Going where exactly?

Going poof. Gone.

We will have smart headbands.

Have you tried a smartwatch? What it does is produce a more intimate relationship between mind and technology where you have an immediacy of information (notifications), and I got a smartwatch with a LTE and I put a SIM in with it and pair with my buds and then I leave phone at home, this is a nice compact setup.

Android Pay on my wrist is handy.

I mention this because I see the next few steps, one is that a direct physical connection between our nervous system and technology is inevitable. If you think about it, the electronic signals are made to pass through silicon semiconductors which emit light which go through the air into your eye and converted back into electrical signals. That is a very inefficient process, the eyes are not perfect, with an aging population it is even worse (need glasses to see the screen in your hand). So if a chip is embedded in our skulls it can send that electrical signal directly, i.e. you “see” the screen without any light.

Similarly, to have electrical signals go out through a nervous system to operate muscles to move your fingers so you can type for that then to become electronic signals, when then eventually becomes light back in another eyeball later, is inefficient. So I see the embedded technology transmitting thoughts directly.

The steps after that get harder to predict, but ultimately the act of a language (say English) is itself inefficient, to convert thoughts into a particular grammar and syntax which has to be learned, and fractures humanity as not everyone can know the same language, so ultimately I can see the case for direct thought transmission. So electronic information is transmitted by machines directly as thoughts and vice versa and between humans.

The human body easily produces 75W which is more than enough to drive human powered radio transmitters. In the end therefore we just have added radios to our brains and we eat as usual.

Of course this has been a concern of science fiction writers, TVs, films for years.

1 Like

5-10 years? Nah I highly doubt that. Screens will be around way longer. We dont even have massive produced flying cars yet for christ sake…

2 Likes