OPPO to showcase its 125W fast charging technology on July 15

Forget about 100W, here is for 125W :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Wow Iā€™m really interested in seeing this. Wonder what long term effects will have on a battery

interested to see the priceā€¦ how much of a big hole will it drill into usersā€™s pockets , also these are made using proprietary / specific to their phones to utilize the full potentialā€¦( like FlashCharge tech by Vivo)ā€¦

If iPhones and Samsung devices cannot fully use this potential, why upgrade to these?

Exactly. Just because you can ā€¦ :space_invader:

Good find @Ice1

1 Like

I see it as just a challenge to those top 2 makers and companies like Ankerā€¦

Depends.

When a cell is empty you can force a low more W into it.

So look for 0%-20% getting 125W vs 20%-ā€¦???%

If they are putting 125W into a cell from 40% full, your point would be my concern too.

For many here who carry a Powercore, we donā€™t really have flat phones so weā€™re topping-up and probably not even using a 18W chargerā€™s full W.

e.g. from @pfrodsham review

Look at how the % added charged drops as you go up from 10%

30% added in the first 15 mins vs 24% in 2nd 15mins vs 13% in 3rd 15mins.

So in this iPhone example, the 18W is only really being used fully from empty, and then ā€¦ 15Wā€¦ drops.

All the OPPO is doing is making best use of that low level of charge.

But there is a battery technology coming, graphene, will allow the much higher W input for more of the recharge time - around now it getting viable, so Iā€™m looking for such a battery technology change, until then higher W chargers are helping empty phones charge faster.

OPPO also uses a high Ampage cell-voltage approach. They do the DC-DC stepping in the charger, so the cell within may be wanting 3.7V empty and want 4.2V full, the charger is pushing 3.7V ( + what the rest of phone needs) so that means a very high Ampage, that means a fat and/or short cable. Iā€™d be looking for a short fat cable on the 125W demo.

1 Like

Great answer, very informative. But when do you think graphene battery will fully come out in the market?

Oh god that claim of 0-100 in 15 minutes really doesnā€™t look healthy. @professor great answer. Thanks!

Predictions:

I have only public statements as source.

But itā€™s about now. There is a cost but it is small for flagships.

If I add a 6 months delay from January statements, for all of the you-know-what delays, I get to now.

Opinion:

For a phone, you do not need this.

For a larger tablet, it helps.

For a laptop, it helps enormously.

As this OPPO is probably about phones, it is solving a problem you do not need to solve. Just carry a Powercore 10000 PD Slim, it keeps your phone going all day, for $20-$30 and then recharge it overnight. You do not need a 125W phone charger.

Lol yea Iā€™ll stick to my Powercore for right now since it contains all the power I need (currently)

1 Like

Also Oppo uses 2 cells in their devices (at least they have in the past), so itā€™s essentially 63w to each cell.

So hereā€™s my logic:

Question 1: Do I buy a Powercore?

Do I buy, or not buy a Powercore? If I buy a Powercore it protects me from prolonged periods away from power, such as power outages, unexpected events, and to be more independent, long times outdoors, camping, traveling, etc. They cost $20-$30 for a medium size one.

Conclusion: buy a Powercore, it is a low cost for such of safety and freedom. ā€œno brainerā€.

Question 2: Do I carry the Powercore?

So as I own a Powercore, if Iā€™m away from home, moving, do I carry it or leave it at home?

I donā€™t truly know if the short trip out is going to be short, I have a bag anyway usually, the Powercore is slim and small, I can use it if required, or let others use it if I encounter their needs greater than mine.

Conclusion: if going out with a bag, yes carry it, for safety and flexibility, if going out with just my trouser pockets, probably not.

Question 3: Do I use my carried Powercore?

So Iā€™m out, with my Powercore, do I let me phone go fully / nearly flat, or do I use the Powercore? Well recharging my phone binds the phone to the wall socket for a period of time, to fully recharge at least an hour. I donā€™t know Iā€™ll get that length of time near a wall socket. The phone charger is bigger than the Powercore, so do I need to really carry both, might as well own and carry a Powercore at least 1-2 phone recharges.

But I can use my phone if thereā€™s a wall socket somewhere in the vicinity if I keep my phone charged with the Powercore, and recharge the Powercore when near the wall socket.

My phone doesnā€™t really go flat just in my pocket/bag, it goes flat from holding and using. But then I donā€™t walk using the phone for hours, I may look at it periodically, but for hours of use Iā€™m sat still. With my Powercore. So should I use the Powercore I have when sat still away from home, or not?

Conclusion: Yes I should use my Powercore, I can then recharge it when near a wall socket rather than bind myself with my phone to the wall socket. I only carry my wall charger for intended overnight trips, the Powercore keeps me going all day.

Question 4: should I pay extra for a phone with faster charging?

So my phone is rarely even half empty, because Iā€™m either moving and not using the phone, or sat still with my Powercore connected, so my phone wonā€™t really benefit from faster charging, as faster charging needs a nearly empty phone, so there is no benefit.

Conclusion: No, if the phone you want for other reasons (camera, etc) happens to have a bundled faster charger, then no harm done, and use that at home to charge the phone when not in use, but Iā€™d never pay extra, not care.

Question 5: are people who pay extra for faster phone charging stupid or what?

Conclusion, not stupid, just not thinking logically, just smile quietly and when their phone is flat and no wall socket, while they have their fast charger at home and unexpectedly out longer, or they have the charger with them and no wall socket, and no Powercore, just offer them your Powercore and wait for the utter logical no-brainer to sink in. Weā€™re all stupid about something.

Question 6: do I carry nothing, or my Powercore, or my charger, or both?

The wall charger is larger than the Powercore, so I only need to carry it for an event longer than the phone+Powercore battery life. If my Powercore does 1-2 phone recharges then that is the longest day. So if not intending to be overnight, no point in carrying the wall charger. I can then recharge everything at home later, have hours to do it, so there is never a situation I need to charge phone faster than a few hours or the Powercore faster than a few hours. I do need to avoid Powercore which take > 8 hours to recharge as they risk not charged when ready to go out again.

Conclusion: for day out, carry just a Powercore, for overnight trips, carry Powercore and charger cable of rechaging both phone+Powercore, like a dual socket charger. So not the phoneā€™s original charger. So the phoneā€™s charger never leaves home.

I donā€™t like big heavy phones, they remove the freedom of the corner case of just out with your phone in a pocket without it weighing down.

I do have phablets, I use them when with a bag and intend to spend hours looking at the screen, a bigger screen is more productive, two handed typing.

So I prefer to have a phone small and if Iā€™m packing to go out for a period with intention of a lot of screen time, then also carry a tablet. So today for example Iā€™m a week away from home, I have my phone and a 10.8" tablet with keyboard.

So I see a big phone, particularly if expensive, as a false offer, it neither has the productivity of a tablet, nor the small size for forgetting its in your pocket.

I like your analysis @professor and the minimalist approach.
OPPO is just doing publicity propaganda so that some users just donā€™t think if they really need it or not but just go buy it to show off ā€¦

For any normal phone user the included battery with an additional 10K Powercore would be more than sufficient for any typical work day until they get home and give their phone rest next to their bed and plugged in to wall outlet.
But, believe me there are few folks, heavy users, may get benefit of this quick charging and no tangling cables.

We certainly need fast charging for laptops / larger tablets.

The cost and size equation pivots once you get into larger devices. A 10Ah Powercore which does 2 phone recharges is smaller than a charger, but a laptop is the opposite, a 26800 is more like 1 laptop recharge and is larger than a 60W charger.

A 100W charger compact and the technology within the laptop to do a full recharge quickly is the required solution.

Here is another one comingā€¦

The company claims that the Realme 125W UltraDart Fast Charging technology can charge a 4,000mAh battery up to 33 percent in just 3 minutes.

So Iā€™m seeing these already proven methods combined:

• they are doing the DC-DC conversion outside of the phone, so the heat from it is not in the phone, not next to the phoneā€™s cells
  • thermal conducting methods within the phone to spread out heat, turning the phone into more of a heatsink.
  • the existing capability of Lithium cells to recharge faster when emptier so long as heat is kept down (see above).

This very high Wattage method therefore is about going from 0% to a useful lower % fast. It is not a method to get to 100% fast as the heat is a bigger issue as Lithium gets higher in voltage.

The way to get Lithium to get to 100% fast is newer cell chemistry, not just tricks with heat management.

Aside: this point about heat management is why you never but a combo solar panel + lithium product, it is the exact opposite of all the tricks used to charge phones faster.

I briefly passed through home and repacked my bag, Iā€™m heading back out with a Powerport 5 PD, Powercore 20000 PD, and a Powercore II 6700, and not carrying (still) the vendor specific faster charger. A Powercore is more useful than a fast charger. My backup charger in case of charger failure is the Nano.