New User Restrictions

I tried replying to the Anniversary post just now and received this message

I had the same problem on the anniversary thread, but some people were saying that I chose one of the lucky numbers so hopefully I won

So it then means that once you hit level 3 probablyā€¦you can post more times if needed. Since it is 300 post, I am not sure you can get that many before contest is over

1 Like

The anniversary competition thread has a 3 consequtive post limit for all of us. But I see you as level 1 can only do 3 per thread per day.

If you feel a specific limit is unreasonale then highlight. Itā€™s been adjusted over the years and may be set too low for some type of post.

But really, a new user does need lower limits than higher level members as it really does help keep the spammers reduced.

Just now flagged a spammerā€¦ and I see someone else has done another before me. If the L0 members stopped being created to post dubious links then Iā€™m sure we could relax.

So every dubious message flagged as spam quickly helps us to relax restrictions.

1 Like

I agree. It may suck for him but it help reduce spamming as we saw on soundcore that one day when they had that one spammer.

He can still do his birthday giveaway and will have something to look forward to next year

I also see the counter argument. There are a couple of moments in the Anniversary thread where I could see the same person using multiple accounts to get around limitsbecause there was a repeating block of 12 where a L0 interleaved the same >L0. But at least it increased the effort to game the system so reduces understanding it canā€™t eliminate.

So if higher members are reasonable then lower members who have more restrictions will feel less hard done by.

1 Like

Just turned level 3, but I still need permission to post a thread. Why is that?

1 Like

Congrats on your recent level up. And I wasnā€™t aware there were restrictions when it comes to starting new threads

1 Like

Are you sure itā€™s not a new thread per day limit?

Youā€™re making a lot of new threads.

https://community.anker.com/search?context=topic&context_id=87265&q=%40QueenMagic%20order%3Alatest&skip_context=true

There are limits all over here for all of us. Some are to stop a hijacked account going postal. Some are to protect from sleeper accounts.

1 Like

It was an assumption that at level 3 you got new abilities. Your account is hidden so I could not see your user level ( new, basicā€¦) . ( go to your picture and expand to show info. You will have a trust level.

I believe I finally remember where some of that info came from.

You should have a badge for basic user. It has a link . https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

You can always check with @AnkerOfficial

1 Like

Levels and trust levels are different beastsā€¦I would PM @AnkerOfficial to check your status.

@professor whenever I want to post a thread containing a deal, I receive a message stating my post is pending. Iā€™m pretty sure other users donā€™t experience that, and can instantly post.

@Duane_Lester I checked all my badges and it does not appear to show anything about basic user

ndalby Iā€™ll do that

Hiding your profile effectively stops anyone other than admin helping you.

2 Likes

The restrictions tighten in response to a concerted spam attack.

So the most freedom occurs when there is also the highest vigilance to spam.

What you canā€™t do is get rid of spammer as an industry as there are places where itā€™s their sole income. What you can do is make them not accomplish their goals and they give up here and go elsewhere.

That requires a team effort. Typically it involves 24*7 coverage so users flag and moderators delete and admin bans collectively over a sustained period til the spammers give up and go elsewhere.

So then you get two classes of forums. Those with a vigilant team who stop spam, and the others who are now the next attention of spammers.

Amazon is a funding source of spammers. The affiliate code is income. Here in this forum, all Amazon links have a tag replacement so Anker benefits. So a spammer here wants to link to a site which then links to Amazon links with their own tags. So spammers want to insert links, for those links to go unnoticed, be on topics which users search and for that search string to get Google to search and find here.

Thatā€™s as far as Iā€™ll outline, but just say vigilance is key, all users who flag are helping which then allows the most freedom.

1 Like