[New Release] PowerPort III 2-Port 60W

Most likely, max 60 Watts total, but 60 watts can be sent to a single port.

Chargers seem to be getting bigger - you’d think a travel charger would be more compact

1 Like

I have a generic travel charger with folding pins for UK-USA-EU
It’s a decent size & reliable but quite slow by current standards - I’m looking to upgrade a

Or USB-A port :+1:

1 Like

Booo! :-1:

1 Like

Nah, let’s have a fully loaded USB-C charger.

1 Like

These travel chargers are the ones most crying out for a truly intelligent power distribution.

I know what below is a repeat of post 5, but travel chargers have a greater need than ones which stay home.

Problems (why):

• heat dissipation is to the square vs heat production to the cube. Higher wattage items become less efficient at shedding heat, so you must make them more slab shaped (flatter, pancake)
  • when traveling you don’t want a slab shape because the weight and volume of the non-functional outer shell worsens
  • you do get the point that two chargers is less weight and volume than one charger so often have a low power one for use in aircraft seats or where sockets are constrained access, and a higher power one for when sockets better
  • but when traveling internationally the two chargers each need their own plug adapters.

So one way around this is:

• a lower power charger
  • this does not have the sum of your device power needs, but about half to 2/3rds, this makes it smaller but not slower.
  • you carry a Powercore, this allows you to survive a long day without access to power.
  • when you get short access to a power socket you plug in devices if socket is nearby, if it’s distant you recharge Powercore.
  • when you dont have a power socket, you use the Powercore
  • once you are with a socket for a long time you plug in device and Powercore
  • the charger has numbered ports, high priority and low priority
  • your devices, e.g. laptop, plugs into high priority port
  • your Powercore plugs into lower priority ports
  • Anker turns all ports off every few minutes, say 10 minutes
  • The priority port is turned on, allowed to negotiate the maximum is needs
  • Then the lower priority port is turned on
  • and so on for 3 or 4 ports
  • as the priority device gets charged, once it nearly fully charged it will drop it’s needs, e.g. the current will fall
  • at the next charger recycle, ports turned off and on, the priority port will ask for less power
  • the lower priority port will be able to get more power as the high priority port device gets charged

Example without this idea (what Anker is doing now non intelligent):

• dual 30W, connected to say a 45W laptop and a 45W Powercore
  • you have to carry a huge 60W charger
  • the laptop wants 45W but gets 30W so charges slower
  • the Powercore even if nearly full and so only needs say 20W is given 30W, so in total 55W of 60W is used, and so power is wasted and the laptop is charging slower. Dumb.

Example with my idea, 60W charger

• the same above 45W laptop and 45W Powercore
  • the laptop gets 45W and Powercore gets 15W
  • as laptop gets full, it takes 30W, Powercore 30W
  • laptop 15W, Powercore 45W

Example with 45W smaller charger:

• laptop get 45W, Powercore 0W
  • laptop gets full, Powercore 30W
  • unplug laptop, Powercore 45W

The charger is smaller, better for travel, but your device gets the maximum it needs and the budget balance is usefully put into Powercore

There is a cost of intelligence, the design and the parts, so I suggest you focus this in what is actually moving, specific travel chargers. The chargers which don’t move can be dumber and not higher cost.

4 Likes

Well I still have a speaker with micro USB and my Samsung watch cable is a micro USB as well :joy:

Same here, old Galaxy S5, Boost 20w and Bolder LC40, and all charge fine with a USB-C to micro USB cable :+1:

2 Likes

There are two item I need USB-C output : The Motion + and a powerbank.
The rest is old fashioned.

2 Likes

Hmm, didn’t even think about getting one of those lol

2 Likes

And seems to charge much faster too!
Pick up a USB-C to micro and give it a whirl. :+1:

3 Likes

Now time I think about it, I do have one of those 5 in 1 cables, in one end it has micro USB, USB C and a lightning charger for iPhone and on the other end it has USB A and USB C lol.
Thanks for opening my eyes :+1:

2 Likes

I feel so stupid.

You revealed to me something I did not know existed, a C to B cable. I only knew of A to C and C to C and the B to C converter.

My only B type needs are my flashlights and buds which don’t need much power. My phone / tablet / laptop been C for > year.

So I could standardise on C charger, with long C-C cables and one short C-A cable. As the dual C charger is the same size as the one c + one A charger, I’d be net more powerful and smaller.

2 Likes

I like this gif :rofl:

3 Likes

Good, but it does produce an infinite loop

I like that you like it.

3 Likes

was a coincidence that I was watching the Twilight Zone (2019) on CBS and saw Jordan Peele quite a lot of times (lol 10 times…) and his gif appeared here :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey @professor
I didn’t either until i won the PowerDrive III dual USBC.
Needed to get use from it so a bit of an Amazon search produced the goods.

1 Like

Same here… wish it was a USB C wall charger … how much time I spend in my car? to make use of this?

2 Likes

Hey @Ice1
I spend quite a bit of time behind the wheel, 5hrs today in fact, so i tend to charge a few things in the car.
I often charge the Bolder, phone, ipad sometimes PowerCore when driving.

1 Like