[New Release] PowerCore 20000 Redux

It’s nice to see Anker going into the USB C whelm. Unfortunately, I think it’s going to take a bit longer for the USB C to be the norm. Hopefully it’ll be sooner then later that other companies will adopt the USB C.

2 Likes

The bigger the Powercore the more you need:

• how power input to recharge faster “Recharges in 9 hours.” Anker could get this down to 5 hours if they wanted to.
  • it to recharge larger devices like laptops and so need a minimum 20V output

The bigger the Powercore the more it can:

• run cells in series to offer more voltage
  • recharge faster across more cells.

So this version of Powercore is good for:

• phones, off-grid for days / week

This is not good for:

• tablets, laptops

What is happening is laptops are moving from 19V barrel chargers to USB PD so there is a widening gap between the best Anker can do and what Anker actually does.

3 Likes

The only MicroB I need is due to Anker. So Anker is trailing innovation.

I have a 27 month old 26800 which apart from size is better than this 2019. It does not leave the house as the amount of energy I need for longest time off-grid is less than 26800 apart from laptops which will need more wattage than these to work.

4 Likes

Thanks for helping all us with great deals :ribbon:

1 Like

[quote=“ndalby, post:4, topic:65714”]
it is also a redux model that chances are, was in production since the end of last year before announcement…any USB-C based ones I would think will be for new standalone products, not updated / rehash variations
[/quote]Ok, but that doesn’t change the unfortunate reality that Micro-USB ones are being released while USB-C ones aren’t…

[quote=“cshenoy, post:9, topic:65714”]
How do you get the details on new product releases
[/quote]This[quote=“elmo41683, post:10, topic:65714”]
Search, research all Anker channels and watch Amazon
[/quote][quote=“cshenoy, post:9, topic:65714”]
Did Anker provide these details to Senior community members / Contributers
[/quote]This is supposed to be happening, but it’s not, at least not yet. Any and all of my posts ATTM are about information available to the public. If/when Anker starts sharing insider information with senior members and/or star contributors, we would likely not be able to share it early.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone! Seems like most of us are in the same boat, confused and frustrated.

1 Like

I agree my only micro usb Products are Anker products. And other Anker products I go to buy from Anker I don’t because I’m waiting for the usb c version to come out such as headphones.

1 Like

Just the same old gear with a new nicer looking case. :confounded:

But but but it has trickle charge :unamused:

1 Like

Wooooohoooooo lol
If I needed trickle charge for my smaller devices, I wouldn’t be carrying around a 20000mh hahaha
Maybe a small 2000mh with trickle would be a good thing for earphones though.

2 Likes

The Mini in reality is not far off trickle charger, it cuts off at like 90% charge and I might need to press power a few times to turn Anker buds to fully charged.

The sweetspot product you can imagine is within cheap viability is a 3 cell 21700 with IQ2 PD 9V 2A 18W 3 sockets.

This 20000 product is technically weaker than their Powercore Ii which recharged in 5h vs this newr one 9h, so electrical it’s a rehashing of 3 year old technology just using 21700 *4 vs 18650 *6. The volume of 4 21700 is 21x21x2x70x2= 123,480cumm , 6 18650 is 18x18x3x65x2= 126,360 so actually this is no smaller just taller and narrow so why can only fit 2 ports.

1 Like

Trickle charge is nice I will admit that but i usually use the battery to charge my phone and usually it’s because I need power and I need it fast so usb c would be the way to go

This is not Anker’s fault it is the phone manufacturers and chipset designers patenting their wares so there is a zoo of charging.

The last time Anker did something to de-clutter this was IQ2 when they reverse-engineered compatibility with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0. Before that was IQ where iphone and Android used different pins for charging.

Currently, unless Anker is going to do-clutter again, with let’s call it IQ3, you do need to really have 2 sockets, like way back before IQ when you had an Android socket and an iPhone socket.

Power Delivery negotiates on a voltage / current and then delivers the fastest - and so you get a race to the bottom and sometimes you end up with a useless socket. Laptops for example, may only do a minimum of 20V and Anker does a maximum of 15V, so your laptop will not find a common denominator and you bought a useless combination.

Some technologies use 5V but they can usefully take more than 2A current. So all of these 5V products would be not wasting anything plugged into a 5V 3A socket.

So there’s a choice:

• PD specific products
  • dual IQ2 PD products
  • Anker reverse engineers a new IQ3 which merges these.

So its not such much criticism of Anker for what they released, but what they not released. A slightly different Fusion say not 15W but a USB-PD 9V 2A 18W and a IQ2 9V 2A I8W which both could not be used concurrently at 18W but say would become 5V 2A 10W sockets, would have been a modest change but made the Fusion 10000 more useful to more people. Specifically I have a tablet with I have metered and can benefit from 9V 2A 18W so if they’d done that I’d have found it more useful.

I have a laptop will not work with the 30W USB-PD product Anker gave me, so it they did a 45W, would move from use-less to use-ful.

It’s what @joshuad11 said. We lack higher power in smaller products and we lack even higher power also. To make a physically huge product which is only 10Ah and only 15W is quite a bit of meh, and yet Anker thinks its worth shouting out.

Waiting.

And my final rant is… Anker says really amazing things are coming - exactly what? They were mentioning many PD products a year ago at CES 2018, most of which did not ship, and now its a secret? And they have this community to ask us if something matters or not in deciding what to do next and doesn’t ask us?

2 Likes

Maybe when Anker releases portable charges they should add the option to choose between a micro USB or USC C cable. Maybe even charge a dollar or 2 extra for the USB C cable

Or keep it simple and no bundled cable and let you pick. I have a draw of original short-ish black Anker cables i never use. They need to focus on innovation not marketing.

1 Like

Let’s hope rethink their bundled cables going forward :+1:

I updated my spreadsheet to compare.

Both Redux 10000 and 20000 are physically bigger for the same performance than their predecessor from a wattage perspective.

So I looked from a physical size, mAh and Wh perspective to figure out why.

The LG M50 21700 5000mAh is 47% bigger, 49% more mAh and 47% more Wh than the Panasonic 18650 3350mAh.

So they’re basically the same energy with a small difference per unit of size.

So you’d expect therefore to change cells to the same energy density the resulting products would be about the same size but they have got bigger.

The only logical reason I can think of is the Amazon dimensions are wrong.

If I’m not wrong the name Redux needs to change to Enlarge.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Not necessarily improved :wink: