New Anker sister product:Nebula TV projectors

I registered here to add my support to Anker’s decision to add a ultra short throw (UST) projector to their consumer line-up for 2017. I note there have been some comments on the forum that do not see a $3,000 projector as being of value to them. Of course, UST projectors are not for everyone but I, for one, am excited to learn the specifications, see one in action and ultimately (hopefully) purchase one.

I’ve closely looked at similar UST laser projectors over the last few months but similar products are closer to the $10,000 mark (and still not available), which despite being offered with a sound system is still much to rich for my blood. I’ve looked at the Chinese market offerings but only one is available and I’m not keen on buying ‘blind’. China is just a bit too far to travel and return if a fault should arise.

I currently own a LG PF1000U UST projector which uses an LED as its light source up to 1,000 lumens. It has 1080p resolution and I project to onto a 90" 16:9 screen. When I bought it in 2015, it was best UST for the price and I’m still very pleased with it. However, it does have three issues that I suspect the Nebula has addressed that may ensure I seek out and purchase the Nebula:

1. Light output - up to 1,000 lumens is fine for a dark room but insufficient for anything bordering on what might be considered ‘daylight’. Nebula’s quoted up to 3,000 lumen (and their anti-reflective screen) might address this issue. Certainly, from the YouTube video (CES 2017 demo) the picture brightness was, in my opinion, excellent.
  2. The LGPF1000U appears to have an issue with light output eveness. In the lower left quandrant of the picture is a sizeable rectangular area of lower light very noticeable in darker scenes. I note I am not the only owner to have this issue. Additionally, the LED maintains a constant light output even in dark scenes and this means black is never truly black but grey. The Nebula uses a laser (and perhaps LED as well). Lasers can be turned off during the scanning process to create a frame and thus there is the potential for the Nebula to have true blacks.
  3. The LG is unable to produce an evenly sharp picture.Watching a film is less noticeable but subtitles or used as a computer screen and its very noticeable. I am led to believe that lasers are always pin sharp no matter the distance or angle to screen. Again, from the YouTube demo the picture looked pin-sharp.

One forum poster opined that he thought 1080p was insufficient. My opinion on the matter is that its just fine - especially since there is scant few video material at 4K and growing very slowly. I’m very happy with 1080p at 90".

I appreciate I am speculating but I don’t think I’m too far off the mark regarding the above improvements and I am very keen to see one in action; probably with my credit card in my pocket…:grinning:

I live in the UK and had to travel to Paris to view the LG projector (and purchase).It would be great if Anker were to sell to the UK market but, if not, I’d travel to the nearest location necessary to view it.

Of course, if the nice people at Anker were to supply a review product it would make my year. That was supposed to be a subtle hint but what the heck - if you don’t ask, you don’t get!

2 Likes

After seeming the xiaomi short through laser projector I too would love to see Anker make one and sell in the uk too :slight_smile:

1 Like