My notes, observations and ideas

Hello to everyone, this is my very first post in here :slight_smile:

I recently bought and installed a 5-part security kit after a break-in attempt to the apartment right above me.

The quality is great, everything’s up and running, all good so far but there’s a catch.

For people like me, who live in a crowded building with many apartments, it’s not easy (or even allowed) to install a camera outside our main doors.

A door sensor or an indoor camera will trigger the (weak…) HomeBase alarm when it’s already too late. Precious time is lost when a security ecosystem is not able to detect a threat before the red zone is breached.

I made some notes after testing my Eufy products, their integration and automation. I’ve also tried to come up with ideas on how to enhance the security level of our homes.

Ideas/Products

Pressure Sensor: To be used as a door mat for human weight detection. Default settings should not trigger the alarm when a parcel, animal or small object is placed/standing on the mat. Pressure mat should trigger the alarm if displaced far away from the door.
Sensitivity level, alarm delay, mat distance from door, on/off features all adjustable via app.

Touch Sensor: For detecting contact with the door handle.

Vibration & Sound Sensor: Mountable on doors for detecting break-in attempts. If door is locked, it’s going to be violent… and such vibrations are unmistakable. Sensitivity level & alarm delay adjustable via app. The combination of these two sensors will eliminate wrong readings (e.g. an air breeze will slightly vibrate a closed door but won’t make any bumping noise)
(An indoor camera, motion sensor and door/window sensor will not be able to detect a break-in attempt. It is critical to have vibration sensors on the doors & windows too).

Stand-Alone Alarm Speakers: At least +120dB of sharp, high pitched noise. (Similar to the beep noise that cameras make when paired with the HomeBase). A combination of motion sensor & alarm speaker would also be great. Sensitivity level, alarm delay and speaker volume adjustable via app. An option to upload our own sounds would be welcomed. If not, provide us with various sounds to choose from.
Option to trigger all stand-alone speakers at once no matter what (including HomeBases).

Observations/Notes

HomeBase 2: Alarm is too weak. Please increase it if possible and/or provide more sounds to choose from

HomeBase 2: I’m unable to trigger the alarm manually via the app. There should be a digital panic button in the app, similar to the physical red button located on the top side of the Eufy keypad.

Door & Window Sensors: Should trigger a bit faster

2K Indoor Cameras: They have exceptional image quality (I own two) but unfortunately HomeBase integration is not supported.

Eufy Home: Not compatible with Eufy Security. WiFi lamps should be able to turn on if motion sensors are triggered.

5 Likes

Hi @RatherBeMe some really cool ideas for improvements. I especially like the idea of a pressure mat or switch.

A couple of the members here serve as mods in the eufy community. I know @Ice1 is one such person. Perhaps he maybe able to steer some of these to the eufy staff for review?

Other person that maybe be able to direct the ideas is @AnkerOfficial the big kuhuana here on this site and is always very helpful :wink::star_struck::star_struck:

Oh and a big welcome to the community too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thx man, It’s my pleasure to own Eufy products and be here :smiley:

1 Like

@RatherBeMe Great ideas and observations.
There was a discussion about stand alone alarm speaker, as the demand grows, eufy may consider to launch this in future.
Join below community for more eufy security specific discussions:
https://communitysecurity.eufylife.com/

1 Like

Nice review of the system and ideas for improvement

1 Like

#1 Update to my original post

Observations/Notes

2K Pan & Tilt Camera: Marked area for motion detection monitoring is slowly drifting away after each camera restart. Re-marking needed after few restarts to make sure that objects of interest are not out of focus.

Multiple HomeBases: Today I got my brand new Cam 2 Pro cameras along with another HomeBase 2 station only to find out the following:

• Each HomeBase acts as a different entity and cannot work together
  • My 2nd HomeBase is supposed to act as a WiFi repeater but that doesn’t seem to be the case. My EufyHome LED’s which are located away from my 1st HomeBase and next to the 2nd HomeBase still have weak signal
1 Like

#2 Update to my original post

Observations/Notes

HomeBase 2 Automations: Automation profiles can not be attributed to specific security modes separately. Once created and enabled, they are active across all security modes. I’m unable therefore to utilize the power of automation for the following reason:

When I’m at home (Home Mode), I wish to receive only notifications if the main door is open or if motion has been detected at the balcony. But at night (Sleep Mode), I would like my Cam 2 Pro cameras to sound the alarm if the motion and door sensors are triggered. To achieve the desired effect, I have to manually activate/deactivate my automations… The system has many flaws but they can all be fixed with a firmware update.

2K Pan & Tilt Camera - Motion Detection - Other Movement: Turning on/off the room lights triggers the motion sensor & alarm in this setting (no matter what sensitivity level), rendering the EufyHome WiFi LED’s schedule useless. (My Cam 2 Pro cameras are not affected by this issue) .
This is because the AI of Pan & Tilt cameras can detect shadows. On the other hand, the Cam 2 Pro cannot detect shadows because of the physical motion sensor, which requires an actual physical obstacle within its detection range

I’d recommed to send them an email with some of your ideas :+1:

1 Like