Maximize Your MacBook’s Potential | Up to 17% OFF

My laptops are dying, and new laptops seem to be very expensive, so I’m currently install Linux on my phone with a X11 viewer and giving serious view to just buy a USB monitor and use bluetooth keyboard mouse. I’ll always have a decent phone so I can turn it into something decent with peripherals. As peripherals break they can be replaced, so not one expensive laptop, is my thinking.

The memory management of Android is it’s biggest drawback, on Linux I can in Firefox have loads of tabs and run them in containers so the nagging ads can’t drop cookies across each other. On Android the app keeps being closed and tabs closed and reloaded.

I’m traveling now with a phone and Android tablet with keyboard, install Linux on phone now and accessing from tablet.

1 Like

Why a “new” one, a good old used one will do.

I would not dare to carry my old T410S around.
Never.
( Though I have glued the screen frame it still fragil and the hinges are unstable)

For trips I use an elder SAMSUNG A.
Its OK, though my skills writing with those touch-keyboards are very low!:rofl:

1 Like

I’m saying you can use client/server paradigm.

If you were to have a device which had good display, keyboard, but it’s memory, storage or CPU was the weakest part, you can use as a client device “dumb terminal” and remote into something else which has the memory/storage/CPU you lack.

It’s more common when a high end CPU laptop has a broken screen, hinge, or is fragile when moved to make it the server and place it out of the way, can be used for, say, media processing.

In Linux the common remote access is ssh, the interface versions being X11 or VNC.

Anyone either with an interest in making useful roles for old hardware, or trying to spend the least money, can use these tricks. Known about by the older generations and can be taught.

1 Like