Linux?

This is great, im gonna have to do this since i can no longer sign into my macbook. My fault i know for spilling tea on it twice, but hopefully this will allow me to use it still. I will try this this weekend with a spare hard drive i have

1 Like

Now I see It was me I started that thread in 2018.

"Old threads are the best, lasting forever" :smiley:

2 Likes

Ahh, it’s good to see the real Neil liking this post :joy:

1 Like

When I first saw the title, I thought you would jump in but it was started by you :crazy_face:

Very well stated! I don’t understand why some people get so worked up on something that is just used as a catalyst to open a web browser! :rofl:

1 Like

I stopped working professionally 6 months ago and shrunk my gadgets right down in size so I am not almost exclusively mobile. I do still use Linux regularly.

I am typing this on my Huawei Mediapad M5 10.8 with keyboard folio, Android, it is a LTE big phone in a laptop form factor. I use Userland to run a Debian command-line only environment which pretty much is only used to run PERL apps I cannot easily get in Android. I did dabble with a full Ubuntu desktop environment but it didn’t offer enough benefit to keep its storage footprint. I have 64GB internal+192GB SD in the tablet. I’d say next gadget purchase I’d go for more storage.

I keep a Raspberry Pi type higher end server with 1TB hdd, its Debian. It is my main server, downloader, backup. It’s how I keep my local devices in their storage limits.

I kept an old Lenovo laptop and it is Ubuntu 19.10 for when I want a better keyboard, but its not getting used as much as my Huawei due to battery and luggability.

So I am pretty much Android, mobile, with a little local Linux for command line apps and a Linux server.

I have not touched Windows now for 6 months. Don’t see any point of Apple when Android+Linux does everything at half the cost.

I plug in an Anker Powercore 10000 PD to my tablet to make it last all day then recharge it overnight and so I am awake unplugged and mobile. What I do with that mobility is hike, bike, family, friends. I am catching up with some areas in my science I not quit fully understand. I got General Relativity good, cosmology good, and filling out my quantum mechanics.

1 Like