Linux?

Are there any LINUX-fans around? If so, what distributions are you using, and why?

3 Likes

Debian on my raspberry pi , Ubuntu on my laptop and GNU Root Debian on Android tablet.

I was on Slackware in '93

1 Like

Welcome to “The Club”. I was using UBUNTU since many years, but now I prefer LINUX MINT (like the user interface), Sometimes I have to install programs from UBUNTU, as those are not working properly under LINUX MINT. eg. Bluetooth from “Unity control center”.

1 Like

I’m rockin’ Xubuntu on an old laptop!

3 Likes

Ditto on a 12 year old PC. My oldest working system is a laptop from 1999.

Computers don’t die. They run Linux.

Newest:

3 Likes

What is that? Is it a new raspberry pi? Because I never saw one with this shape.

For me I’m using Linux, windows and macOS.

1 Like

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=196

1 Like

That’s it! With LINUX computers don’t die. I never understand why everybody need newest and fastest processors. The Laptop I have here is a LENOVO T410S Thinkpad from 2010. I found it in the garbage of our company I was working for. Before I had a SAMSUNG X10 in use from 2003. I still have this SAMSUNG and it works fine. Computers never die!
The raspberry is funny!

1 Like

Me to! I have an old Macbook where I run Itunes to feed my old Ipad and Ipod. And my wife uses windoofs (sic) and when she got problems with this “/$%$%$”§%" OS I have to repair and help. That’s the life of a pensioner, who was working with computers for 45 years. :wink:

1 Like

windoofs

Windoze

Window$

fdisk
d
n
p
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

2 Likes

fdisk
rmdir * . *
:grin:
Those were the old days!

1 Like

With more apps being web based, such as now MS Office is 365 for web word excel ppt, the browser can do most tasks, under the hood of ChromeOS is Linux.

I do rarely need Windoze, for which I rdp to a Windoze VM console. A couple of sites only seem to work with IE.

1 Like

I like Libreoffice.
I think there are really so many programs existing under LINUX,
so there is no need of Windoofs (Windoze)
( But shhht!!! B.G, will not like to hear this! :wink: )
Yes, Mac_OS and Android are of course UNIX-based.

1 Like

1 Like

Should have run Linux!

Screenshot_20190701_015745|339x500

1 Like

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I’m giddy that my 2008 MacBook is running so great now after installing Peppermint OS (a lightweight Ubuntu-based distro)! Definitely try out Peppermint if you have an old computer laying around.

If anyone else is looking to revive an old MacBook, I detailed the process for my 2008 model here:

https://technicallywell.com/installing-linux-ubuntu-18-04-on-a-2008-macbook-41/

4 Likes

There are many LINUX-Distributions you can use.
They all use the same Kernel but with different user interfaces.
The less graphic there the smaller is the system.
X-Ubuntu for example.
I like LINUX MINT on my old LENOVO T410S

2 Likes

I’m trying Ubuntu on my xTablet to test and running great, barely using the memory and harddisk. Only issue with audio drivers, no sound output. Tried few scripts to fix it but no luck, will re-install and see if that resolves it.
Also on T420, upgraded to latest win 10 and no issues so far with what I need it for.
Not buying a computer for next few years :grinning:

3 Likes

I run Zorin OS on one computer.

We were talking about LINUX and tablets.
I never tried, I am not sure this will lead to satisfying results.
You have read the opinions from others?
I am glad my T410s is stable with that LINUX MINT.
I am not a big lover of Microsoft. :thinking:
But there are many for them an OS is like religion.
“My OS is the best, there should be no others.”
Not me!
Everybody should use and like what he wants and needs. :grinning:
(Think most of us here in “our family” got the same attitude)

1 Like