💡 Let there be Light! Review of the Eufy stick-on lights 2nd generation

com-add-text%20(14)

I’ve been a big fan of the original Eufy lights to help with a gentle light in places without electricity to avoid stumbling or fumbling.

When the new version came out I got a box (set of 3) and placed them where I had the greatest need, and then with winter coming got another set to help in a couple of other spots

As delivered

There’s instructions (who needs them?) and the three lights.

Front view before fitting

Comes with 4 stick-on pads, peel off the plastic to reveal the stick on, then press hard and hold for 30 seconds on your prepared clean surface. I used them on tiles, glass worked fine, but nervous on paint, so on paint I propped on a surface below and pressed to use the stickiness purely to stop it falling forward but not to hold against gravity. So far I’ve never needed to screw fix.

There are 2 holes in the back for screwing on the back plate, the box includes screws and rawplugs.

The back panel slides up/down.

Install 3 AAA (not supplied) batteries. I’d not go overboard on expensive batteries, chances are the batteries would die from old age before discharged, so have been happy to use the lowest cost ones which have a long shelf life.

The main difference to the earlier version is you can set light brightness high or low, so you can tune them to be not too bright if they happen to be near your eyes. Last winter I had them in a hallway and found the high brightness perfect, I’ve just today fitted some more and will see if too bright, if so I’ll set to low brightness. I’ve just now fitted them in a bathroom near ground so that may be too bright. We’ll see (pun).

Placed in spots where you have to walk a while before you can turn on a light.

At night once eyes dark adjusted the light comes on within a second of motion, so you’re best placing them to be able to “see” you before you need them, so not too far into a corner, so central to a wall in this example. You want the motion detection at night to see you as soon as you approach the area, for this reason you may need to use a couple of them, one to illuminate you then it triggers itself it’s sister light on the opposite wall, so you get a cascade effect where you can light up a whole area just be walking near one edge.

Here’s example video shot in daylight conditions entering the dark place from daylight see how little time the Eufy stick-on light takes from the door opening until it’s on. Factor this small delay into deciding the placement, and reinforces you need to prop it up first to tune the location, before sticking on and definitely before screwing in.

vidt

Overall I recommend them for:

• complementing existing lighting
  • dark corners where either there is no electricity or you have to walk in a dark room to reach a switch.
  • make “corridors” of light between bedrooms and bathrooms to not stub toes and still keep night vision. Good to place them on alternating walls to be more central over light to the ground.
  • complements flashlights you’d have hung up, these light up the path to where you kept them.
  • good idea where power outages are more common, they run off batteries. If you place them in rooms normally lit by regular lighting, these will spend most of their existence off, so you may be better placing them for best value where you also move around at night at normal lighting has been turned off. I reckon the perfect places are a few along the path between bedroom and bathroom so someone can feet on ground and walk illuminated having to do nothing.
  • complements Eufy smartbulbs you’d normally schedule them to come at regular dusk time and go off at regular bedtime, these them kick in for the other times in the night before any regular scheduled smartbulb on time.

Drawbacks.

• I not found any yet, I’ve run the version 1 for a few years, and ran these version 2 through one winter and worked perfectly fine, they round out perfectly your other lighting solutions.

I ordered these in UK, cost me £13, when you compare with the cost of electrical work to be put in places or other comparable options, these are an absolute no-brainer, you can solve lighting issues for nighttime moving for a whole house very simply. In my last home which was having frequent power outages, I ended up buying 3 boxes of these and made a whole house be able to moved around in the dark without flashlights and no stubbing toes. I put a UPS on the Internet and some Bolder LC40 flashlights in key places and had a complete solution.

Most here are in USA so the USA link:

Now in August when days get short from October, is a no-rush good time to wait for a deal and get a box or two and fit them. Initially I’d consider not sticking them on the surface but prop them up on a ledge / surface initially until you are sure where you want them and know the height and placement, then stick them on.

They do come with screw fittings if its a surface the stick-on fails (I’d say probably wallpaper) so if after placing on a surface, and them sticking them on, and the sticking then falls off, then you can move to screwing in place when very confident on location.

9 Likes

Nice review, don’t know how you can go wrong with stick on lights but dang 3 AAAs? That is a ton of batteries for a little light.

1 Like

Nice review and pics! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Nice Crisp review there and great pics @professor :+1:

1 Like

Great review and photos @professor.

I’ve got the 1st gen version that I won from a PowerDraw a few years ago and they are still working just fine. The batteries last a surprisingly long time.

2 Likes

I got a pack of 16 AAA batteries for £1 at Poundland, they lasted last winter and still working now. So a box of these consume 9 AA so that’s 56 pennies for batteries per box of lights.

I’d not spend much money on batteries. Shelf life, their ability to work for years mostly idle, matters most, not how much energy they store. These lights in winter might be on for say 2 minutes a day.

1 Like

Oh that isn’t horrible, I guess with my kiddos around their toys eat a ton of batteries so it seems I am always out. Maybe that is highlighted by your review. Great photos!

The only question remaining is did they light up your life?? :rofl:

1 Like

I am not familiar with this “out” concept. The future is highly predictable in that is predictably unpredictable, what can happen will happen, and so we keep most stocks up. We all do that right? I mean it’s August now and I’m thinking of winter. Winter I’m thinking of summer, etc. Today is the tomorrow we had all yesterday to think about.

1 Like

There are people like you who plan for the future and people like me who seem to be putting out fires as they come. I just blame my shortfalls on the young children. :slight_smile:

I got those since a while. (1. generation)
Now mounted all around the house
Such useful little lamps. (basement, loo in the night etc.)
I played around a little bit to find perfect places (height of mounting, perfect angle etc)
I suggest not to thrill holes :smile: before you found the perfect place.

3 Likes

Thanks Franz, I’ve edited to include that and photo of the screws.

1 Like

You should mention that it even sticks on super glossy surfaces. It looks like you have some very glossy paint.

2 Likes

Great review and photos @professor
As usual, a well written point of view from someone who’s put them to good use and tested over time :+1:t2:

1 Like

That’s a nice quote professor :clap:

1 Like

I got a three pack of these and it’s definitely a difference when not having to fumble for the light switch no matter how many times you repeat a trip. I open a door and these are one before I step through the threshold. I’m curious to see how they do in winter where the daylight is much less.

1 Like

Great review @professor

I appreciate the video showing them in action,as well as the tip to try before fixing them in place.

I would not have thought of that, and would have found myself having to order more.

TS1

1 Like