Lenovo x270 USB-C and Anker Powerport PD

Hi, I searched and could not find so last resort is post this question.

I got a new work laptop - a Lenovo x270 - and I noticed it has a USB-C port, searching implies it can be charged via USB-C. I have an Anker USB PD charger - the 60W version - and tried a couple of USB-C cables I have and none worked.

Do I need to get a newer better USB-C cable like USB-C to USB-C 3.1 ?

2 Likes

@nigelhealy you can charge that laptop via USB c port. A quick download of the manual shows this:

USB-C connector
The USB-C connector supports the latest USB 3.1 standard. With a proper USB-C adapter connected,
you can:
• Transfer data between your computer and peripheral devices.
• Charge your computer.
• Charge your peripheral devices.
• Connect your computer to external displays for video output.
Lenovo provides various USB-C accessories to help you expand your computer functionality. To discover
Lenovo USB-C accessories, visit Lenovo Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/essentials.

So you need USB 3.1 cable

4 Likes

That sounds excellent as then I can carry just the one charger.

I checked the manual and I do not see a Wattage mentioned. The Anker charger I got has written on it up to 30W. So that implies no benefit from the Thunderbolt more expensive 100W max cable?

So what USB 3.1 cable would you recommend?

Powerline

Or Powerline II

1 Like

I have the Lenovo ideapad 320 with a USB C Port as well. So you can charge the laptop via this method and not just the standard brick in the line? Will a Powerbank be strong enough or will like stated above an Anker Powerport do the job?

The x270 at least does not need a Powercore as its showing about 8 hours use on a charge for me which is ample. My interest is consolidation to physically shrink my traveling luggage, so moving from the supplied power brick to a consolidated one and thinner cables helps in that goal.

I ordered the Powerline II and will be able to report if this all works on Friday. $20 for a cable…

3 Likes

It would definitely help to be able to keep the laptop charged via Powerbank like you said to consolidate

I think that was the right choice especially because it has a lifetime warranty

2 Likes

From my research it shows that the charging Input is 45W USB Type-C. So I’m not sure how low it can be to charge it, but even at 30 watts it can trickle charge I’m sure

1 Like

I’ve got a ThinkPad 13 2nd Gen with USB-C.

I can charge it from my 20100 PD battery pack, using the cable that came with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-mAh-Powerbank-Delivery-Black/dp/B071JWNQ8Y

Don’t know what spec the cable is, just know it works. Pity my Yoga I bought recently doesn’t support USB-C charging…

1 Like

I had a choice of x270 or yoga. Couldn’t see the benefits of the yoga, the hinge folding back made it bigger. But I didn’t notice or know about USBC charging

When I try either of my existing USBC cables the laptop flashes it’s power light then nothing happens no charging.

The laptop is for work and extremely locked down so I’m likely traveling with a small tablet so it’s laptop, phone, tablet, a powercore and some buds to recharge.

The security locked down is new so I got a newer smaller laptop as for years I traveled with Chromebook or tablet with keyboard for lightness

2018 and we’re still not there with USBC everything. :rage:

1 Like

Either would have been lovely. The Think Yogas can be really nice, but the x270 is a great tool, nice and light.

Definitely supports USB-C though, dumb question possibly… Have you charged anything else from the PD port on your charger? Maybe a faulty port on that?

@nigelhealy I don’t know which charger you have, but if I recall certain ones require you to press the power button before plugging it in in order to activate the power delivery, otherwise it would act like its gonna charge but ultimately stop after a few seconds

He has PowerPort.

Glad you got the PowerLine II just to be safe because those two cables you linked are NOT the same spec. The PowerLine is 3.1 Gen 1, which is identical to 3.0. The PowerLine II is 3.1 Gen 2. That explains the bigger difference in price compared to just a typical PowerLine to PowerLine II upgrade.

Hope it works for you!

If @nigelhealy reports that he is successful, then the same should be true for PowerCores, but you’re probably gonna want the big boy PowerCore+ 26800 PD. That or wait and see what Anker has in store because currently it’s the only one with 30W output.

2 Likes

I saw that someone used an adapter from the USB ports to charge a radar detector with the Eufy E1 lamp. Perhaps a adapter from USB to the type of charging port the laptop uses. As for the Powerbank, I know there is two types at that capacity. Singe and dual ports for charging

Your phone and tablet are USB-C, too, right? If so, then your only normal devices that still require micro USB are Anker’s.

From the talks of @AnkerOfficial, you’ll be saying the same thing in 2019 and likely a good part of 2020 about Anker. :cry:

1 Like

Correct, I’d have a USB-C phone (OnePlus 6), a USB-C tablet (Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus), a USB-C laptop (Lenovo x270) and a Micro-USB Anker Slim+, Micro-USB Anker Life, Micro-USB Anker Powercore (probably the Powercore II 6700).

The technology supplier forcing me to carry old-tech cables is Anker.

So the most retarded part of my technology is Anker.

1 Like

Wall charger, not portable battery. It’s the 60W USB-PD charger. Been in a sealed box for >6 months, some of us got it as a pleasant Xmas box of goodies, the Liberty+ and Roav.

I have a wide set of needs and a wide experience and I find those “big boy” batteries are not needed. Big devices have big batteries and last long enough on internal batteries. Small devices last days off small external batteries. I never need more than 10000mAh in anything I ever encounter. I could be obtuse like “just because I can” operate a phone off-grid for a week off a 26800… but why…

There is a firm need for PD chargers, no real need for PD portable chargers. For brief time near wall sockets, you need a high Wattage charger, but portable chargers are with you all the time, they just need to be cheap, not fast.

1 Like

I believe the type c port only puts out 30watts and the other 4 USB ports use the other 30.

Ankers new 60W single type c port would give you a much faster charge on your laptop.

1 Like