Judgemental language

The Eufy Smart Scale app describes weight as either Low, Normal, High or Excessive.

Excessive is quite a judgemental term, and not particularly helpful to someone trying to loose a few pounds. Can I suggest replacing the term with something less judgemental and sole destroying.

3 Likes

I can see what youā€™re saying, but what would you suggest it be replaced with?

Low | Normal | Above Average | High

• | 0 | + | ++
    Low | Normal | Quite High | High
    Low | Normal | A bit High | High
2 Likes

The devil is in the details, great suggestion.

1 Like

Remember when McDonaldā€™s had ā€œSuper Sizeā€?

It may be seen that way but my last physical said excessive on it. Using terms like this may be words they pulled from official ratings.

When I see these terms I would take it more seriously than seeing wording like Above Average or High.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing NORMAL is when youā€™re within the weight recommend for.your your height.

High/Low is being slightly over/under your recommended weight

EXCESSIVE can mean your FAT, or well over the recommendation. However, tell a power lifter or some of these

According to my BMI Iā€™m morbidly obese. Morbidly, nope! Obese, yes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™m beyond morbidly obese according to the stupid BMI scale that hasnā€™t been updated since it was introduced. And yes a body builder who can have 2% body fat can be considered morbidly obese based on his weight even though they are perfectly healthy.

Me on the other hand, Iā€™m fat but at the same time Iā€™m solidā€¦

This day an age people are way to sensitive to things like this, imo the wording is perfectly fine

2 Likes

A few options would be best. Personally I donā€™t have a problem with the current phrasing but some might.

Perhaps remove the ā€œexcessiveā€ label, and just make it part of ā€œhighā€.

how about, Under/normal/over/out of control

How aboutā€¦ Skinny, ok, podgy, fat, big fat fker!

Iā€™m not sure fat, honest! I am genuinely big boned, so much so, that people can never believe me when I say.my weight and my clothing sizes. People think Iā€™m an XL, and about 15st, where as Iā€™m XXXL AND 19 STONES :joy:

Due to not being able to exercise I canā€™t slim down n trim, but I have lost 40 odd LB since last may (2017) strangely due to diabetes! lol I used to be a contractor and did lots of heavy lifting (I could easily carry a 14ft RSJ by myself). Iā€™d work 12-14 hrs a day labouring, until I badly damaged my back (a static mobile home (trailer if American) fell on my back while working underneath it, as the jack supporting.it slipped).

At the time, I was 15st n looked slim.

I got no probs being called fat/obese, cos I am.

How many people will feel uncomfortable for the ā€˜excessiveā€™ word?

The reason. They feel uncomfortable is because itā€™s TRUE! lol

Just get over your fat arse, and accept it, now do something about it if youā€™re that bothered by the truth.

1 Like

Is it really proper for a consumer electronics device to dispense health assessments?

The scale should confine itself to data, not analysis. Collect the data, show a trend line for all collected data points, pass the data to a health data collector program. Concepts like BMI have many nuances to use correctly, if at all.

Leave the analysis to professionals whoā€™s assessments are solicited.

The language isnā€™t helpful, but Iā€™m not touchy about it. I think the greater problem is performing the assessment at all.