Is the power house to big to bring on a plane?

So I was thinking of purchasing a Anker power house but I am a little nervous about bringing it on a plane (I travel a lot) I was curios if I would have issues with the TSA if I brought it in hand luggage.

Hi @chernalevilego, the current PowerHouse models are indeed too large to carry on most planes. However, Anker is planning to release PowerHouse 100 later this month, which will be legal for most flights.

3 Likes

There is a degree of latitude flexibility to take larger, upon prior flying request to the airline, they may put in a fireproof place designed for medical equipment.

If you don’t want special measures then stick within 100Wh.

Example from one country which is typical.

If you do go for a physically obviously large Powerhouse which looks like it may be over 100Wh, while the capacity is written in small print on the item, good idea to print out the product page showing its within 100Wh to save a few minutes at security while they dig out the magnifying glass. Also a good idea to take out of carry-on and put in separate tray volunteer to have it inspected.

The Powerhouse 100 being new will suffer extra time at security while it is checked it is within 100Wh, or go for a Powercore 26800 which is an older and more often seen product for the agents to recognise.

In challenges we have had in this forum why you’d want a Powerhouse, as it’s expensive and you’d be better to carry on USB charged devices as they also tend to be smaller for travel, we often hear of CPAP which means medical devices so you’d be declaring health issues and other medical equipment needs.

3 Likes

I handled the PowerHouse 100 at the Anker Onboard 2019 event in NYC. Very well made and thank you for including USB-C.

Just wish it had two Type C PD ports and subtract one Type A :wink:

3 Likes

If they have not changed the requirements, planes usually capped battery pack systems at 26,800 mAH. Its the reason you typically see this as the maximum “handheld” power pack. Powerhouse would probably only work as a luggage stored item, although based on the size they may cut off your lock to inspect the item (have had something similar before, if it looks like it could be dangerous they look at it).

1 Like

Electronics, with larger batteries, are required in carry-on.

It’s because a fire can be handled by crew in carry-on. If you put in check-in , probably confiscated.

1 Like

Dont think a powerhouse gets thru carry on either. Isnt tsa limit still 26800?

1 Like

Correct as in 100Wh. 26800 @ 3.6V = 96Wh.

The challenge you also have is if the product looks so physically big it simply calls for attention, delay, magnifying glass on the specs.

Just buy a Powercore 26800 and take items which are USB. If you need other then it is probably a medical need which has associated other needs to take care of.

The initial issue with the Powerhouse 100 is it’s lack of familiarity, it will look like > 100Wh items. All the other Powerhouse are not permitted.

1 Like

Oh, interesting, will the new powerhouse include a regular ac outlet?

1 Like

Yes

Think very carefully if you need AC or any Powerhouse for flying with. The physically larger portable chargers will tend to cause more often to be pulled by security and checked, more so when it’s relatively new and they get familiar with the product.

DC-DC conversion is more efficient than DC-AC-DC conversion so the net useful energy using the method is less. It is also physically in total larger as the Powerhouse is larger than the Powercore 26800 and your AC-DC brick.

Consider instead travel just with USB devices, they don’t need the AC-DC converter just for themselves, they also will give more net energy of DC-DC. The money saved can help justify the newer devices, e.g. laptop, which are USB.

The only consistent reason I heard needing AC is CPAP devices to which you’re probably needing other medical devices and so accustomed to broader travel restrictions and luggage handling.

Yeah, basically an upgraded version of PowerCore AC.