Interesting Wall Street Journal article with shout-outs to Anker

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FAnker.fans%2Fposts%2F1350357158377017&width=500

Yeah I saw that on Anker’s page.

I don’t often drive, a few times a year, as I usually bike. On bike I tend to use Android Wear on my wrist, the Anker IE20 around my neck. For the likes of navigation I program the destination then mostly glance at my wrist. if someone phones then I’ll filter on my wrist then if its urgent then put one earbud in and pull over.

I drove on Monday for a total of about 2 hours and on the freeway I noticed a car meandering and I waited til lanes clear and overtook and the driver was looking down at their waist what looks like texting / reading texts and steering with the odd look up. I certainly appreciate anything which makes drivers look straight ahead. I’d prefer if drivers focused 100% on driving, after all cars predate mobiles so proves you don’t really need to use the mobile at all and with voice navigation (as I do, program it when NOT moving then just let it point you) even navigation has nil need to even look at mobile while driving.

I would agree that Cars predate mobiles and people should not text and maybe should not call either while driving but that is where the predating stops.

Have a look at maps and music as the reason for the article
For the 30 plus years that I have been driving I find for me that today driving is more safe. I was the guy trying to look at a map while driving even though I looked at it when I started my trip you could not remember all the turns in a 6-8 turn destination so my eyes were often off the road. Also I had a pretty fancy car stereo when I was younger and would not let my passengers touch it so the ability to use voice and keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel has to be safer.
I often tell my kid a story of the people that would prop a book between the hands on their steering wheel while on highway trips. It happened more often that I care to remember but the stats where not kept now you can use E-books.

I Thinks the article needs to be read by people that struggle to pull their phone from a pocket or purse while driving just because they NEED to know who is calling or texting. If the phone is right in front of your face and you don’t need to touch it then it is no more harder or distracting than operating a wiper or turn signal.