If Apple does has not Qualcomm QuickCharge 3/4,Do all Anker chargers/cables charge iPads at same speed?

If Apple does has not Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 / 4.0, Do all Anker chargers and Anker Powerline / II / Nylon braided lightning cables charge iPads at the same speed?

1 Like

Significantly but not fully in all cases.

The example is an iPad which is not of the USB-C PD type but is USB to Lightning, if you connect an Anker product non-QC capable of output upto 2.4A, the iPad could draw about 2.3A, so if you connected an Anker product with a 2A output it will be little less than fastest possible at 2A (not 2.3A).

So the default fallback for QC is 2A. So if say you have a non-QC 2.4A port and a QC port, in some situations the non-QC port would be faster.

However:

• recharge is generating heat which competes with the device gpu and cpu so often what you find is if the tablet is on and particularly being used, the Amps drops dramatically often to <1A. This is why the fastest recharge comes from turning off the device.
  • the fastest charge is when the battery is <80% so if device nearly full you’d be drawing <2A anyway.

So this is a half full / half empty point. 2A is nearly 2.3A so you’re not losing much, or its not 2.3A so its not the fastest possible charge.

Some Anker products (non-QC ports) output 2A, some 2.4A, some 3A per port. But QC is only fallback to 2A so in some cases QC is slower than non-QC.

Reminder: there is a fixed overall power budget so in multi-port chargers you might get some congestion so lots of ipads could end up charging slower, this is charger dependent. Powerport 2 has no congestion but as you go up the sum of the maximum per port is less than the total available.

Thanks Nigel, I always prefer to charge my devices in their OFF state as it is meant to be better for the batteries, but my one gripe with the iPad charging when powered off is that it gives no indication of the Percentage charged or even an LED light to say that it is charging, obviously I opt for turning the screen off into standby then i check the percentage periodically. Even my iPod Classic has an awesome battery charge display, that is 8 years old . This is where I do like [Android] Battery Doctor app as it has a nice and easy UI for displaying the charging time for Android devices, I am a little hesitant to believe all the data it spews out relating to performance and calibration. One thing I always avoid it to just leave a device plugged in for 24 to 48 hours as I am sure that kills the battery life. I am also guilty of constantly topping up my devices with charges throughout the day and not letting them drop to 25% and below, but I just can’t help it !

Also, as @nigelhealy mentioned, the iPad Pros (all except 9.7” model), can charge quite a bit faster using USB-C PD.

Buy a meter. Then you know:

• detect dud cables
  • what is the actual amps
  • better or worse chargers
  • when a device approaches full its input amps drops so can unplug nearly full

I dont think modern devices batteries last longer if charging while powered off, it might have been the case years ago but thermal throttling solves it.

The way to extend device life is horses for courses, use one at home and one on the move. The latter you store 60% charged in a cool location and then it out and fully charge before moving. The device at home is either static PC or self replacement battery like laptop or something with screws and a replacement guide. Then devices which need the best battery life are only used for that purpose.

1 Like

The faster you recharge, the earlier the battery dies. Pick your priority, cost or speed.

2 Likes

Really? I have heard that isn’t the case, and that it’s a myth.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep12967

Temperature accelerates aging, faster charging makes it hotter.

What I can’t find is a study to determine that direct correlation, I can only infer it indirectly.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/242158-does-fast-charger-hurt-your-phone-battery.html

Not the case if you charge it via your phone tablet etc

Thermal throttling means that the act of using a phone, to keep the temperature the battery is exposed to (from the other parts in the phone) is kept well below the 60C level where the battery ages much faster. So often your charger isn’t the limiting factor.