HANGOVER, What do you do about it

I also usually drink a beer the next day. Most times I don’t get hangovers since I only drink tequila. I can actually wake up and function as normal.

3 Likes

pedialyte and a bloody mary with 2 tylenol, but a glass of water before bed does wonders too

I used to work with a few individuals who would start their own IVs to flush themselves out within 30 minutes they would be back to normal and ready to work! :joy: Banana bags is what they would use.

2 Likes

I used to know a trainee doctor who would drink a lot then find a quiet bed and give themselves an IV to put back in what the booze took out which is mostly water and I guess certain minerals. You don’t need vitamins to cure hangover but you need them long term for general overall health which helps with hangover.

So for example if I go a long workout burning lots of calorie output before a large alcohol intake, the emptying of all calories, technically I ensuring no fat is inside the liver, from my liver into my muscles then means the liver is able to handle the booze better. So I can prepare to minimize hangover.

I am not an athlete but I am in the % of top fitness people, I can do 700 miles and 60,000 feet of bike hill climbing in a week and its easy for me. A by-product is my body easily handles booze because all the muscle gives more places for booze to hide. The problem is subtle that if I drink then my workout performance drops, usually about 10% the next day. If I go tee-total for say 2 months my performance increases 25%. So its a trade-off of what ultimately is body weight. Booze is calories and slows your performance, no-booze is less calories and increased performance. Given I can easily burn 4000-5000 calories per day you’re talking about 10Lbs difference in body mass over a few weeks of the booze vs no-booze choice. You’d think one would pick no-booze but it gets boring after a few weeks. Then you’re trouser belt is tight so then repeat…

Today, did a quick 40 mile ride in 3 hours with 3000ft hill climb in it. Climbed a 2000ft section in 40 mins, my personal best is 36m so about 10% slower than best and that’s because I had a no-booze Xmas NY, if I kept say a couple of weeks no booze then I’d get back to personal best and if kept at that for months then be stronger than ever in my life.

I’d certainly advocate to anyone who wants to lose weight to swap alcohol for water, its one of the single biggest performance and weight improvement choices you can make. Just a bit boring.

1 Like

If you are burning 4-5K calories per day how much do you consume in a day in order to prevent disappearing? :joy:

Capability vs capacity. My strength and endurance can sustain an output of 4-5KC / day. If I happen to sustain it then I lose about .7Lb/day so e.g. over 9 days would lose 7Lbs. On a few occasions i sustained it for weeks and lost 20Lbs like when on holiday and bike camping.

The issue is having to work, so time sat still, and some days weather’s bad so what usually happens is say a week of no exercise and put on 4-5Lbs then a week of exercise every day and lose 5-9Lbs, and so through the year vary say 30Lbs.

To actually consume 4-5K cals/day is impossible in my experience. Eating is its own kind of exhausting.

LOL, New years eve, lol
Booze 2500 cal
Lasagna 750 cal
nibbling for 8 hours approx 3-4000 cal
6000-7000 no problem
Came home lighter than when I left but I think it is because my skull was still at the party looking for my brain

3 Likes

I can consume easily 5-8K its just very hungry and eat a large deep pan pizza. The issue is the night after the ingestion of food is hard work, feel hot, rough night and so then tired the next day.

1 Like

Look up “red eye” hangover cocktail. :grin: hard to believe but it works for me.

1 Like

Carbs in the tomato juice, protein from the egg and vodka/beer (hair of the dog) to give a balance of alcohol and food :smile:

3 Likes

Used the beer red eye method many times and it works great but it often leads to another,repeat. I think I am just getting old 'cause I just experienced my first two day hangover. Today I feel so much better

2 Likes

You have three age effects here.

One is that the brain gets used to alcohol so for a given intoxication you have to drink more.

2nd is the older the person the heavier they tend to be (typical male gets >1Lb/year heavier, e.g. 50 year old is often >30Lbs heavier than a 20 year old) so that causes lower blood alcohol density the brain sees for a given total amount of alcohol so your organs have to work harder to get rid of the total amount for a given level of intoxication. e.g. double the body mass is double the effort on the body for a given level of being drunk. Now then the brain will not be any worse for it but the other organs will be.

3rd is your organs are wearing out so take longer and are themselves tired to serve other functions.

The “perfect storm” is when you combine lots of drinking with being heavy.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I broke it down!

Solid advice :joy::joy: