GaN Tech

Is it worth investing in and what do you think about other GaN brands like hyperjuice?

1 Like

Yea it’s worth it as long as you have a newer phone

1 Like

Have a s10

1 Like

Yea I’d say the majority of phones that came out before 2019 are not capable of capping the charging speeds

1 Like

Please expand, clarify.

GaN is not directly related to charging speeds. It also indirectly will help phone battery life longevity.

Correct that that most phones are not yet designed to benefit. Ideally the perfect phone would be using PD PPS PDO which Anker has yet to fully embrace. That does in a standard what OPPO and then OnePlus did years ago of externalise the DC-DC conversion so the phone receives what it needs. That places more load on the charger, which in turn then makes the charger larger, but GaN then helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice :grinning::clap:

Good point. OPPO, OnePLus and other Chinese brands do have their own charging standards. GaN tech is still growing and in early development

Interesting discussion.

The issue is the USB consortium for standards is a double-edged sword, it causes the goodness of standards but the slowness of standards.

The underlying lithium technology, particularly in flagships, are very sensitive to temperature meaning the chipset throttle down during charging. The DC-DC buck converter within the phone makes heat so if you externalise that then less heat in the phone. Lithium is less hot charging when emptier.

These two combine to PPS PDO where the phone outsources the DC-DC to the charger, where the voltage is lowered and the Amps increased when emptier.

The likes of oppo gained speed to adopt by proprietary but the standards are evolving.

Any innovation in phones then trickles down into larger devices, tablets, laptops, then finally, years later, into Apple. :expressionless:

1 Like

It’s up to you if you have the money

1 Like

Laptops are getting wireless charging.

I’ve seen Huawei push wireless into everything but for laptops it’s primarily to do reverse charging of small devices.

1 Like

I agree. Samsung just released reverse wirelesss charging laptops. Samsung is leading the fast charging revolution

1 Like

Samsung leading is debatable. But yes agree larger devices getting wireless, trickle down technology from mobiles, and a few years later then in Apple.

1 Like