EufyCam E false alarms! :(

I have a EufyCam E in my family room, and twice over the last three months it has falsely notified me of movement, setting off alarms in the camera and the Home Base. Each time this has occurred at about 3 o’clock in the morning, rudely awaking me out of a sound sleep. (Btw: I live alone and have no pets.)

Each time I have quickly viewed my phone’s video, and found no motion in the room and no windows disturbed.

The funny (or scary) thing is, I bought the EufyCam to replace an older security camera made by Mace and mounted it in the same exact spot. The Mace camera also gave me false alarms about every three months … around 3 o’clock in the morning!

How is this possible, that two cameras made by completely different companies would behave the same way? Is my house haunted? If anybody can figure this out I’ll buy you a six-pack of beer.

I’d look for a resonance in the vicinity. Like a sump pump.

Thanks, but there is nothing nearby that would cause any resonance. Certainly not at 3 o’clock in the morning about every 3 months!

Is there no lights flashing from DVD players, Tv’s etc that might flash is there is an update? My Tv updates at 2 AM every couple of months.

That is a possibility that I hadn’t thought of. I have a TV, DVR and stereo receiver all capable of getting firmware updates. I don’t think this would trigger the camera; there’s not that much heat given off my a tiny LED bulb. But I could test it by using a small flashlight in the darkened room.

The funny thing is, the video that was recorded during the event lasted only 0.06 sec.!
And in the past the videos recorded have been a little longer, but usually not more than 1 or 2 secs.

Really an odd issues, hope you can find out what’s wrong

Don;t have young newlywed next door to you if you are in an apartment. :rofl:

Ghostbusters!!

I have posted previously how my EufyCam E in my family room sets off my siren every couple of months for apparently no reason at all. It always happens about 3 a.m.!
Well, this morning it happened again. I quickly grabbed my cell phone to view the video to see if anyone had broken into my house, but it showed nothing! The windows were closed and nothing disturbed in the room.
Luckily, I also have a Wyze Cam V3 in the room, which records video 24/7. So I looked at the Wyze video and saw my family room lit up, as if a car outside was aiming its headlights at my house. But why, I thought?
So I checked the videos of the three Wyze cams I have outside the front of my house, and there were no cars on my street at 3 a.m.
Further inspection of my family room Wyze cam video shows that the light was emanating from my Eufy camera on the wall. But why was the Eufy cam detecting motion and turning on its infrared lights where there was no visible motion in the room? :ghost:
As I also mentioned in my previous post, I got the Eufy camera to replace a motion sensor made by Mace, which also was triggering alarms at 3 a.m. I thought the sensor was broken, but apparently it wasn’t!
Meanwhile, I will have to disable my Eufy family room camera in the future if I ever have any overnight house guests, lest the siren at 3 a.m. scares them out of their wits!

I’ve had similar experiences with infrared motion sensors from a few different manufacturers. After doing some Google-ing, I found that spiders and other small insects can actually trigger the infrared sensor when they crawl directly over it (they’re so quick that the camera usually doesn’t catch them, but one had built a web directly in front of my Arlo camera and set off the infrared sensor a dozen times one night).

Sources: https://www.caldersecurity.co.uk/different-kind-intruder-setting-off-burglar-alarm/
https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/why-do-insects-and-small-animals-set-off-pir-motion-detectors

“Actually, in reality they don’t have to be huge to do this; all it takes is a spider to crawl directly over a sensor to fool it into thinking there’s some kind of intruder. When you consider that a burglar alarm sensor’s job is to detect movement at a distance of several feet, something moving over its direct surface is going to trigger it just the same.”

1 Like

Haha! In my case they must be pretty punctual spiders, with a sadistic sense of humor!

They always trigger my camera’s sensors at 3 a.m.! :spider: