Eufy Doorbell can't connect to hidden network

Hi all - just installed my Eufy Doorbell today, but when I went to connect to WiFi it only showed broadcasting networks. There was no option to manually add a network. My networks are all hidden / not broadcasting. Is there a solution besides making my network visible?

3 Likes

Can you set your network to broadcast for the setup portion and then disable broadcast?

I tried that. As soon as I disabled broadcast it could no longer connect.

1 Like

Same issue! Hidden SSIDs are a very basic security measure that is widely implemented by more advanced home networking users. We need the option to manually add the SSID / passphrase of the wifi network to ensure connectivity.

Please respond!

2 Likes

I hope that Anker fixes this rather quickly. Even my cheap homekit enabled smoke detector was able to stay connected to the hidden SSID after setup. Hoping to see this resolved soon because the Eufy cameras have no problem connecting to a hidden SSID also. Just seems like the doorbell cannot.

This issue has been viewed over 300 times.
As a Convergent Technology Integration consultant, engineer (and Security Technologies); here’s my 2 cents (and a freebie at that).
I’ve been looking into the Eufy Doorbell Cam (as with RING) BUT, if this issue isn’t resolved soon I can not use or recommend this product (s) period. This issue is a deal-breaker (for the reasons stated by @Home820 ).

How RING implements this; you select Other Network then manually configure settings (simple). The problem many have with RING is on the big Privacy issues of allowing 3rd parties access to stored video content without homeowners consent.

1 Like

Let me present a reality check for you in a scenario; I’ve often preached that one can drive into most any community and at curb-side, commit a felony over someone’s home WiFi and just drive away. − See US Data Breach Reports, ‘its most revealing’ at: idtheftcenter dot org

1 Like

Just like everyone else, I was shocked to find that the Eufy Doorbell does not support hidden SSID. I will be leaving a review on Amazon to save more people to trouble of finding this shortcoming after the fact!

1 Like

Yup - I also left a review on Amazon. This is very basic stuff. My cheap little smart plugs can connect to a hidden network and work just fine as well. This is THE ONLY ITEM in my smart home that CANNOT connect to a hidden network.

In my case, Eufy app show NO WIFI AROUND :frowning:
How can install it? Many many wifi around me

1 Like

As soon as you hide the SSID, the dumb doorbell wont connect to router.
This is a really bad security set back for this doorbell

2 Likes

any update on this? i got a firmware update 6/16 but haven’t tested. i hate getting auto updates not knowing any details.

1 Like

I just bought this doorbell and updated the Firmware after I set it up. I had to turn on my SSID broadcasting as well, very reluctantly. Once I got connected, I turned it off, and now my doorbell won’t reconnect.
This is THE most basic security step you can take. This is the first WiFi device I’ve had that can’t connect to a hidden network, nor can it manage to connect to my public network, because that’s got a log in page.
I’ve used a lot of Anker products, and been thrilled with them. With this one, I’m really pissed off. I already removed my old doorbell, patched and painted my siding, to mount this one, only to find it won’t work w/o an SSID broadcast. I’m actually quite temped to remove it and return it… :rage:

1 Like

As the original thread creator, I figured I’d post what I’ve done as a workaround. My router has 2 guest networks available, so I basically took one of those and made it dedicated to the Eufy doorbell and kept it visible. It’s fenced off from my main home network so no one can access it if they hacked the password of my guest network.

Yeah it’s a horrible thing to have to do, but Eufy obviously doesn’t care about this issue.

2 Likes

My guest network has a login page, did you work around that some how, or is yours different?

Mine is different, it is set up just like a regular network - as long as you have the SSID and password it works without having to go through a login page. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R6700.

1 Like

For an update 20 November 2020, I am trying to setup my wired doorbell and it does NOT allow setting of a SSID, network security or security key. Last comment to this forum was 11 July 2020? What’s up? It should be a simple firmware fix unless the WIFI chip cannot be updated - as in 3rd party firmware which is not secure.

Is it the 2.5ghz or the 5 ghz connection? Unless I already missed that question.