Ditch legacy USB for USB-C

Hi,

I really like the Anker products in general! I now have 2 pocket size power banks and will buy the 2000 PD USB-C soon.

What’s super annoying of the power banks is their legacy USB connectors which only allows you to stick that connector in 1 way, leaving 50% error rate, I’m aware that Anker is not the only one keeping them. There are plenty of places where the cables and converter pieces can be bought at reasonable price, so one could still hold a combination of legacy USB and USB-C devices.

Apple, (though they kept their 30+ pins plug way too long), does make radical changes now and then and that’s the only way to keep moving forward for the better.
When does Anker expects to deliver the majority of their top products with USB-C, ditching legacy USB?

Thanks! Jonathan

2 Likes

It is my belief that Anker will not give up traditional USB technologies until the companies that produce the electronics do. I do not believe Anker would have as much business if they suddenly gave up traditional USB. A few years down the road, when everything is being powered with USB-C and legacy USB is deemed obsolete however, it will probably happen.

1 Like

The change will come…later rather than sooner.

I have but one device that charges via USB-C which a Nintendo Switch. Every other device I own is able to charge just fine using standard USB. Legacy or not, it’s what is most common and is what drives the market.

We will see USB-C input universally a whole lot sooner than USB-C output. It’s just reality, USB-C to USB-C is not what ships standard with our USB-C enabled devices. Until the time that USB-C to USB-C is standard, we will continue to see USB-A output on power banks and such.

I believe @AnkerOfficial has mentioned a few times recently that certain newer products will adopt the USB-C standard but I doubt they will kill legacy USB (were you meaning for input or output / micro etc?) any time soon as they would be slicing off a huge portion of the overall consumer market…there are still far more more legacy USB devices out there than USB-C…

3 Likes

I think they should try to sell at least a handful of product with a usb-c only version and one with legacy ports side by side and see how it goes… Like maybe just one or two of their best seller product.

But they already offer so many USB-A / Micro devices that it wouldn’t make a difference.

@jonathan31

Thank you for your questions!
You know we always follow the trend of technology. When USB-C technology becomes more popular among new products in the market, we will gradually produce more and more products with USB-C.

You can gradually see some changes in the next year.:grin:

3 Likes

That’s great, but I’d wish you would try to lead the way sometimes!

About the only one who can “lead the way” is a huge corporation like Apple. When they make a change, pretty much everyone needs to follow their lead or risk getting left behind. :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah I hated the type C until I got devices that only have it. Especially now that I have a Switch, I need to get a new, maybe smaller power bank to carry with my Switch.

…not being able use the items they are purchasing without buying an additional dongle, using a proprietary tech connection or paying their ‘geniuses’ to undertake what most tech savvy people used to do before they firmware’d and glued the hell out of things :grin: (and yes I am an Apple user)

1 Like

This exactly - no point going all USB-C whilst most products on the market haven’t gone that way yet. I have an Anker USB-C battery pack which I can’t charge at home as it’s my only USB-C product.

That reminds me to go buy a USB-C charging cable …

Completely agree with you, 2017, 2018 and probably 2019 will be dongle years, however the way Apple is doing it is the fastest way to bring us to destination: a world where everybody moved to usb c. It is just a few bad years to endure. Same for ditching jack : seriously annoying today, but the fastest way to have a dramatically improved bluetooth market, with higher quality and cheaper products.

So much true, however what can they do about it? It took so long for the USB consortium to get their shit together and release usb c, and lightning is still superior in form factor. Also now the aftermarket for lightning is so huge, people will be so pissed if they have to replace everything they already bought for lightning. I’m not expecting them to ever move to usb c for their phone, rather when everyone is able to charge wirelessly they might just ditch the connector altogether.

So so true… the price to pay for having the most beautiful computers on the market… If they manage to dramatically improve the reliability of their products then I’ll be fine with it.

I just got a OBD reader that uses Mini B USB port for updates. Came out in 2006 (?) and firmware updated in 2017 :expressionless: