(DE) 31.01.2022 Anbegot des Tages : Nano : 28 Euros

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I don’t see what is the point of these small chargers outside of a USA folding pins form factor. The whole unit with the EU or UK pins are nearly doubled in size and having the port facing out instead of up/down means you can’t benefit from the small size behind things (furniture, kitchen, etc).

I think the way they did it in UK they nailed the form factor with the UK 20W Nano and all they should do is make a little deeper 30W version.

I’d like to see more chargers specific to the EU and UK markets, and not these USA designs with an attached EU/ UK plug. For example a folding pin version for travel.

1 Like

Great little chargers @Chiquinho
Mine gets used a fair bit at work but have to agree with @professor
The dual port version would make more use of a mains outlet.
Or ideally a 4 port USBC version of this would be perfect.

Anker USB C Fast Charger, PowerPort Atom III Slim 63W 4 Port PIQ 3.0 GaN Wall Charger with Dual USB C Ports for USB C Laptops, iPad Pro, iPhone, Galaxy, and More

3 Likes

It can be done better!

If this part is deleted!

This part is needed for such sockets

index

But without it it would fit in such one

Schuko

This is the normal EU socket.
The Nano would fit there totally without that part I removed.

2 Likes

I am finding for a day / overnight I travel just with my 18/20W single port Nano as it’s physically the smallest, with my 10000 or 20000 PD Powercore and use the Powercore’s dual ports to charge two things at once and recharge the Powercore. So in effect I have 3 ports. I have gifted the older chunkier chargers to friends and family so I have chargers to borrow all over. The 20000 is days worth of power so if the Nano were to fail I’m still covered.

If I’m spending a long time in one place then I bring the 63W 4 port charger as the above method is a longer way to keep things charged (recharging of the Powercore) and bring the Nano so I have redundancy. Example of 4 port + Nano is a B&B multiday event as most B&B have one remote power socket and the 63W has the cord.

The obvious gap in the UK / EU are folding pin chargers and compact dual-port and three-port. Say a dual-port 30W where if you used both ports it became a 18+12 split, then that would cover larger tablets, and a 3-port 45W which split becomes 30W+15W or 30W+10W+5W. I’d like to see Anker think about real-world UK / EU users and not be an after-thought of the USA market.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification of the two types of EU sockets. I fail to see why a flat folding pin can’t become a round folding pin.

It is more complex to make a folding UK pins as it’s 3 pins but you can make them folding with some engineering skill.

I am getting around this via only using the 20W Nano + Powercore but see other brands with folding pins show it can be done.

2 Likes

Yes the UK got 3 pins, so its different.
Normally the Schuko-sockets (round ones are wall sockets.
This flat ones can be found in adapters and extension cables,
Which are often used.
So my proposal would not work with those of course.

US sockets are different I have seen.
I suppose such one is a normal US wall socket.

index

So the plug can fall out very easy.

Such ones had been installed here in the 50-ies.

uZVxNdcaajMYXMDVKjNJXg

No neutral wire!
I remember those of course . :smile:

1 Like

The USA 3-pin sockets can be used by 2-pin devices, the 3rd pin is optional. So a USA 2 pin Powerport will work in both type of USA sockets.

The UK can only use 3 pins as the 3rd pin is longer and activates the power to the other 2 ports.

So the latter flush 2 round socket you mentioned is probably easy engineering to make folding pins for EU. UK trickier as must do 3rd pin folding.

UK folding pin examples from Anker competitors.

2 Likes

Nice saving for a great charger!

1 Like

I am sure those creations can be done easily for EU by the engineers.
BUT, we are not important.