Charging a Asus C302

Hello,

Which portable charger can charge a Asus Chromebook c302ca? Just in case I’m on a trip and just need to keep working and a outlet isn’t around.

I’d say you’d want the biggest possible battery which in Anker is the 26800, given this is a USB-C I’d say you’d want the 26800 PD

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Nintendo-Delivery/dp/B01MZ61PRW

The battery only I cannot find and you’d not really want its bundled charger as your laptop is capable of ingesting 45W and that bundled charge is only 30W.

In UK for example you can buy the battery on its own

But I cannot find it on its own in USA.

Now be aware the 26800 PD is only 30W output and I think its recharging is about 15W, so you’d have to be a potentially a little bit more intelligent about using it. If your laptop is about to turn off and go flat and you are using it heavily then it may need to be given more than 30W to keep up, and so this battery may still cause you to end up with a flat (powered off, slower recharging) laptop. So instead think ahead and before your laptop is flat plug in the battery, chances are then the Powercore 26800 PD will be somewhere between slowly recharging to slowing the discharging of your laptop and so extend the life. The 100Wh of the 26800 is looking like it would do 2 full laptop recharges given 39W internal laptop cells.

What I personally have done is take this to extreme proactive, I have a laptop with a 15W input (yours is 45W) and I have a 10W output Powercore (the Powercore 26800 PD is 30W output) and on long days where I expect to use my laptop for a long time with risk of not being near a wall outlet, I plug in my Powercore at the start of the laptop use to slow the latpop power drain. In my case of a 15W input laptop getting 10W input (so the same ratio as your 45W input receiving 30W input) , my laptop actually stays at fully charged, i.e. 2/3rds max power is enough to keep up with demand. You may therefore be perfectly ok with 30W, particularly if you do it well in advance so peak demands are temporarily dipping the % laptop charge down level but never to 0% flat. In less words, probably you’ll be perfectly fine with the 30W 26800 PD.

Anker has been extremely slow to innovate in the USB-PD space, rather prioritizing Qualcomm QC with the PowerIQ 2 products, but eventually, we hope, there will be some fresh USB-PD innovation and there is no inherently valid reason why with time we cannot get a powerful Powercore which can output 45W. So you could just wait.

2 Likes

I think input is 27 or 30W for PowerCore+ 26800 PD

Still don’t understand why Anker doesn’t sell it separately in US

And this use case is a good example of why we need a multiport 60W USB-PD charger, imagine you’re part-discharged laptop and part-discharged battery and you plug them in at night, chances are the laptop would recharge 1st as smaller internal battery, then more power goes to the battery and you wake charged, all that 60W usefully used. If though you owned one 45W charge you’d have a lot of time when the battery is >85% trickle recharging and energy wasted.

If there was a 4 or 5 port charger (4 port wall mounted, 5 ports with cable) with 60W output, say 2 ports USB-C PD, the rest USB A type for your “legacy” devices (earbuds) then you’d have a 2017/8 good dense system.

1 Like

I have a theory because it failed USB-PD and maximum recharge is only with the supplied charger. Easily wrong as “it makes sense in the market at this time”. The USB-PD wall chargers are only USA plugs currently so you see why non-USA locations unbundled. Why they bundled…

As Nigel mentioned, 45W PD should be coming to PowerCores shortly, but as of right now, we only think we know of the PowerCore+ II 20000 expected to have that, so no 26800+ at that time but expect that to change before too long.

Guessing, as I do as its not that challenging to do, or specific information?

Well 45W is all but confirmed at this point for the PowerCore+ II 20000