Celebrate Father’s Day with Roav

Meals after school #OnTheRoavWithDad

I don’t remember how old we were but my dad and I along with my best friend and his dad went down to Shreveport, LA for a college football bowl game between Arkansas and Missouri. I’ll never forget this trip because of how my dad drove on the way there. Looking back it was a bit dangerous, but at the time a younger kid it was so exciting. We were stuck in traffic on this two lane road in Louisiana and all of a sudden my dad just starts passing people fitting in where he could. Sometimes 2 or 3 cars at a time, but the most was 8! All the while he was doing this in between on coming traffic on the other side of the road. So he’d pass people until he had to get back over due to a car in the opposite road. Again definitely dangerous, but so exciting as a child. I remember them saying to never tell mom about this! All grown I finally told her about it, but to this day still one of the best memories I have with my dad on a road trip! #OnTheRoavWithDad #donttellmom

1 Like

My dad never owned a new car, until he retired. On the first day of his retirement, he purchased a brand new '08 Honda Ridgeline with only 12 miles on the odometer. In March of this year, just three weeks before he passed away, I purchased the truck from him with 174,000 miles. I can only imagine what would have been captured by a dash cam over those years and miles, and what stories we could have watched unfold. Reach out to your dad and ask him to tell you stories that you haven’t heard. I did, and I plan on sharing many of those stories with my son as he gets older. I probably won’t be passing the Ridgeline on to him (he’s only 6), but I plan to have video of our future trips to help remind him of where we have been. Get a dash cam, for your protection and to save some of the “on the road” memories. #OnTheRoavWithDad

My biggest memory of my dad and myself in the car is when he taught me to drive many, many years ago now! I had no formal lessons much to my friends surprise and instead he taught me in a Citroen 2CV which when I turned up to my test with the examiner in it, I was embarrassed to say the least!

The most memorable drive was an entire day, 2 weeks before my test where he made me drive for up to central London (UK) through all the cities most busiest streets to really challenge my ability and put me through my paces. Hyde Park Corner is a vivid memory with it’s multiple lanes and me being in a 2CV with L plates wedged between numerous taxi’s and buses along with him taking me to every steep hill in the capital upon which he made me do hill starts!! (Car’s were very different back then - I love my little automatic car these days that doesn’t roll back and beeps when I’m too close to a car either side! lol)

But the moral of this story is that he pushed me hard, shared his passion in driving with me and though our joint determination it meant that I passed my test first time, just under 6 months since I got my provisional licence and without any official lessons.

To that I forever thank my dad and am so pleased I learnt to drive at a young age, it cost me nothing but determination and time (albeit a bit tense and stressful at times) but has proved that trust and faith in your dad is valuable and also precious - the memories we had in the car together are treasured and ones that I can never repay my dad for. But worth every time we spent together and the invaluable experience of driving he gave me as an ex police officer has boosted my apprehensive start of getting behind a wheel no end!

#OnTheRoavWithDad

1 Like

Biggest and best memory was from a round of golf we played together. I had not been playing long and had never had a birdie and only a hand full of pars. Well this day I managed to sink a long birdie putt for my 1st ever birdie. To make it even more special my Dad managed to sink a shorter, but tricky putt right after me for a birdie as well. It was the only time he and I both made birdie on the same hole.

1 Like

Got be scolded by my father when I stole him a beer.:grin::grin::grin:

Short but true. We were on vacation in northern Michigan. My son was stung by a bee or wasp or something. He had an allergic reaction. I used my ROAV VIVA, and asked Alexa to get me directions to the nearest hospital. It was 47 minutes away. I then asked for urgent care clinics. ROAV VIVA found one that was 12 minutes away! My son was fine and ROAV VIVA SAVED THE DAY! (and the vacation)

1 Like

We had packed up our tent trailer and traveled. We visited 10 different states. 6 different six flags in 4 different states. We drove 6000 miles in 28 days.

One of my best driving experiences I’ve ever had with my dad was when I was 16 and he was teaching me to drive. To set the scene; I was grilled in the driving manual and he was confident enough to turn the keys over to me for the very first time. We went to the nearest school and did all the driving lessons that you would be taught by drivers ed up to parallel parking. I’d ha e to say I did a very good job, though I “tapped” the invisible car behind me on the final back in. Today my wife gets pissed at how well I parallel park and back into a spot without the aid of that nifty backup cam…but I digress.

Feeling that I’m doing well, he then takes me into the neighborhood to test me in real traffic situations. We’re humming along, me nervous and a little overly cautious, when he tellls me to make my way to the only four way stop in our neighborhood. I’m psyched and READY because I GOT THIS! My first four way stop! My dad is coaching me ALL the ways up to the stop sign at this four way stop.

And I quote (you can’t make this up) “ now son, we’re about to come up to this four way stop. (He looks down all three other streets for what looks to be miles down one block…he spots a car coming from the north as I bring our car to a stop. He looks at me, “Son, when that car comes to a stop you need to make eye contact with the driver then pull out and make your turn. “ no sooner than he said this then that tan 1989 caddy full of a bunch of old ladies drives up to the stop sign and drives right through with out stopping. Silence and disbelief set in as the best driving lesson that could be taught to a 16yr old was just given. The second heart beat after, “That Son, is why we come to a complete stop and wait to see what the other driver is going to do”. People are unpredictable and mistakes happen in an instant. One moment you can be driving along safely and the next moment one mistake can change everything.

Those old ladies who to this day who probably have no idea of the life and driving lesson they taught that 16year old me about driving safety.

My dad and I had s good laugh as we watched for the two seconds as those senior citizens drove through that light. Irony is something that is present in life and when you have those moments, capture them, enjoy them, and most importantly, learn what you can from them. The silence, the awe, the ironic laughter took just seconds, but the lesson has lasted a lifetime and will be passed down to my child when it comes her turn to learn.

1 Like

@AnkerTechnical is there anyway I can enter this without social media? I don’t use any social media…

I do love Fathers Day because I get reminded by my kids I’m the best and I also get to give my dad a big cwtch :heart:

My story is not so much the best time #OnTheRoavWithDad but kind of the day he did everything he could to reduce my pain and suffering. This meant breaking the law and racing through several towns :joy:

It all began when I was up a friends house, about 2 miles from home. I was about 14 (47 now) and there were not so many cars about then. Me and my mate were building a go-kart. Similar to this but not as good lol

Being 14 yr old lads and a bit mental we decided to add a flame thrower on the back and make a batman go-kart :fire:
sounds like a sensible thing to do!!

Back then, they had steel 5l cans for oil and petrol (gas) so we put a little bit of petrol in and set out testing it. I dropped a match into the can and nothing happened. Then I tried to see why it wasn’t igniting by looking in the can. I could see and smell the petroleum so tried again. This time looking down the hole as I hovered a match ready to drop :see_no_evil:

Next thing :fire: whooooosh up and burned all my face and hair. I complete shock and pain I ran the whole way home, really scared and worried I’d get into trouble (as I was a bit naughty) and here I am causing my parents more grief :grimacing:

I got home, screaming as I ran through the door with a burning face and hair that smelt so bad. My parents panicked haha and went into emergency mode. My dad had a car but not enough petrol to get to the hospital 10 miles away. My mam ran around the neighbours to borrow some money. Money was tight. Dad had lost his job in the wire factory and the 80’s were a nightmare for getting jobs. But she got it. Dad was waving a big sheet of polystyrene at my face like a giant fan. I was bouncing around in pain.

We got in the car, he told me to put my seatbelt on as I was in the front. You didn’t have to wear seat belts back then so I knew he was up to something hahaha

Seems a bit crazy now and dangerous but he knew what he was doing and began to speed like Colin McRae through the villages to the hospital while I hand my head hanging out of the window in order to get every bit of airflow on my burning face. He did stop at traffic lights etc where my face would begin to start feeling like it was on fire again and we probably weren’t going that fast haha but at the time it’s how it felt.

It was the best drive we ever took together. It was amazing and exciting but also scary and worrying considering what I had done to myself. He looked after me (in my head he saved my life) and didn’t shout at me I made a full recovery in the weeks to follow. Makes us laugh now thankfully :sweat_smile:

Happy Fathers Day Dad xx
Pic from when dad was in hospital for 6 months and it was my turn to look after him :joy:

3 Likes

So Good Storys keep up guys! <3

I’ve had many good memories with my Dad in the car. From driving to sporting events (tailgating, baseball trips) and vacations (driving to wisconsin, michigan, and running out of gas in Oklahoma).

One of my fondest memories is when I was 15 and my Dad was teaching me how to drive stick/standard/manual on his:

Now, I know you don’t know my father. He is a hilarious, straight shooter and was never known for his patience. We went around our neighborhood as I rode on the clutch, smelt a lot of burning metal. But we had so much fun. He yelled, he swore, but he laughed and taught me well.

In case you can’t smell the burning metal now, we were listening to some AC/DC while we cruised the town. Hope that sets the mood for ya :wink:

I’m glad that I can drive stick, and I’ll never forget that day or smell…

1 Like

I’m loving all these stories :innocent::clap::grin:

I had an awesome childhood. I had all the opportunity I could ever want. He made sure that I got a good education. He made sure that I knew what responsibility was. He took us camping and hiking and fishing. I love all of those things. I could tell you some stories but there’s not any one that eclipses the most significant lesson from my father. My father taught me commitment. My parents were married when they were 18 and 19. My mother passed away four years ago after 55 years of marriage to my father. I always give credit to my long-lasting marriage to the example that my parents set for me. Your challenge to tell stories is a good reminder for me to tell my father again how big of an influence he has been. Thank you!

1 Like

I apologize for what I write. as everytime I try to write a story in remembrance of my father I start thinking of all the things that he has done. I end up breaking down in tears because i really miss my father, he passed away when i was 16, i was the one who got my grandmother up so we could get him to the hospital. I remember losing my mind because here my father is lying in this bed and all he kept saying was he didn’t want me to see him like this. I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t want me near him, he gave me a hug and a kiss and told them to take me out of the room. My Aunt came and got me and I stayed at her ghb house for the weekend, all the while no one said anything about my father. I kept asking and they said hes getting better but it was hard on him. A week later I called the hospital and they said he was no longer there, I didn’t realize at the time what they had meant and thought he had gone home. I called my grandmother and she told me to come over, when I got there she waited for my aunt and they both told me he passed away. I broke down into tears and fell to the floor, my aunt pulled me up and handed me a note from my father.

The note read: Son, I am sorry for sending you away but I couldn’t deal with anymore pain. Seeing your reaction to me just being in the hospital broke my heart, I knew I was dying and wanted to shield you from my death. Do not worry and do not be scared because I will be in a better place. Just know that I will always love you and your sister. Love your father

That’s all, sorry for being so sad :cry:

1 Like

Gosh so many! But I think my favourite is when we used to go and visit my cousins in the Forest of Dean. Dad always made journeys fun. Firstly on the motorway he would read out the numbers on registration numbers and get us to add them up. Then when we got to the Forest he would get us to count all the sheep, he said if we ever got to seeing 100 sheep he would get out the car and run through the forest. We never thought we would get to 100 but one day we did and he stuck to his word and got out and ran around lol. Then he would tell us all the stories about what he got up to in Lydbrook and about this house on the top of the hill we had to spot which we called the ghost house because he told stories of seeing a ghost there. We had such fun on those journeys.

@Webkinny on twitter

1 Like

Thinking of you buddy. Must of been really tough to deal with and sounds like it still is. As a parent yourself now I’m sure you understand why he sent you out. Parents will do anything to protect their children and save them any suffering and he was trying to do that.

Big hugs fella xxxx

Tha is bud, and yeah it is hard still. Not a day goes by that I don’t wish he was still here. And I do get it now why he didn’t want me there, took me growing up and having my own son to really understand his reason.

1 Like

So many great memories on vacations with my dad. One of the more interesting ones was the yearly trip to upstate New York when I was 21. A little background for this is to understand the area above Albany New York gets sparsely populated due to the mountains. We were heading north up above Fort Ticondaroga area when a deer ran onto the highway. Came out so fast we really didnt have time to do much. This happened on a main highway, yet took 4 hours of just sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck to arrive. As bad as it was, it came at a nice time for my old man and I to bury the hatchet, we hadnt been seeing eye to eye recently. Looking back, it was a memory I will remember as it forced me to move on and grow up, so something good came outta bad.