Capsule II - broken and defaults to bluetooth and only offered option to pay myself for refurb

Feeling a bit harshly treated by Anker - have always bought loads of Anker products - batteries, chargers, vacuum cleaners etc and have backed Nebula Capsule 1 and 2 on kickstarter. The Capsule 2 is now defaulting straight into Bluetooth mode when powered off with a loud noise every few minutes. They’ve identified it as a hardware issue but it’s less than 2 years old and all I’m being offered is to pay myself for a refurb replacement. One of the reasons I bought from Anker was the great customer support and I’m feeling a bit let down by them. It’s a pretty new product, well looked after with minimal use and I think it should last at least 2 years. Hoping Anker pick up on this and will report any developments. @AnkerOfficial

Sorry to hear of your issues @John_Mckeown1 how old is the Capsule 2 exactly? I’m guessing based on your serial no they have determined the projector is over 12 months old, which is the warranty period offered on the Nebula line.

1 Like

It is unfortunate if it indeed has broken, but if beyond the warranty period, then I would guess you are bound by what Anker offers for repair/replacement when beyond that period.

Perhaps you bought using a Credit Card that provides a benefit where they will extend the manufacturer’s warranty period by 1 year? I used this benefit when my dad’s Nexus 6p died, and filed a claim with my CC, who paid out for the repair cost of fixing it. good luck.

What would you say minimal use is over the 2 year time?

1 Like

Anker usual activity when a little out of warranty is a discount code off new or offering a lower price for refurbed, because of what you said. They don’t do that too long outside of their obligations and its obviously all at their discretion.

Note that if you were in warranty, they have the right to send refurbed replacement anyway, just at their cost.

I think you should work on the assumption of give goodwill get goodwill and work to a discounted refurb unit. Photos showing it’s not worn, evidence you have bought a lot of Anker, etc, all help your case, but it is far better to have that goodwill dialogue privately for reasons I hope obvious.

https://www.seenebula.com/uk/warranty

1 Like

Hi, in terms of use probably less than 50 hours, maybe a lot less - we’ve just started reusing it. It’s left the house once I think and has sat undamaged on a shelf otherwise. In terms of warranty the advice above is great. Anker came back with a harsh and legal sounding email suggesting the burden of proof of a hardware defect lies with me, which as it’s not cost effective for me to produce that essentially means that relating to EU/UK guidance I’ve no path forwards other than goodwill. So the advice above about getting back to them on that is really helpful, I’m just still a bit disappointed and will be a bit more wary of Anker and it’s customer support in the future.

This may be related to either the specific Nebula support individual or they just don’t have much refurb stock in at present.

I’d suggest keep it private and keep discussing there. If you discuss it here too much they risk going even more entrenched “legal”.

I dealt with a Sharon in March about Nebula and was a good experience, so keep calm and press it a little more.

Not helpful, you’ll hate this next bit but I never buy Kickstarter as the first batch out of manufacturing has the most flaws which then warranty replacements progressively find and subsequent batches are better manufactured, so I habitually wait months (year) to allow for that very process to naturally run. Never buy kickstarter basically is one of my rules. Others I know utterly disagree with me.

1 Like

Thanks - good advice again - I’ve got back to them by email covering some of the points above. Thanks for the advice. BW John

1 Like

Just posting to say that Anker came back with a very reasonable compromise and solution considering it’s out of warranty. Happy with the support provided and thanks for the advice here. @AnkerOfficial

2 Likes

Good to hear.

You can edit the thread subject to reflect the conclusion. Reward good outcomes.

I’m glad they helped you @John_Mckeown1 :+1:

This is really interesting… I see from your profile you are from the United Kingdom. And looking at the date, it almost feels like it is too much of a coincidence but…

… A week ago I bought from Amazon a refurbished unit of the Capsule II with exactly the same problem/issue that you are describing. To top it off, no charger or cable included… So I had to wait for almost a week to get a charger and a cable from Anker (kudos to their customer service representatives), but now that I have managed to charge it and use it I can’t turn the bloody thing off and keeps making a noise because of the bluetooth mode.

Needless to say… I have started the process to request a refund. Next time I think twice about getting a refurbished item from Amazon…

I hope they wiped it down clean before sending back out.

You guys should share serial numbers to see if same unit.

I have messaged John in private to ask about the S/N and shared mine with him. Will let people know if we find out is the same one.

Cheers!

Hi, I’ve contacted Anker directly with your details on your behalf to give them a chance to sort this out for you. I’m not going to publicly post whether or not this is the same unit, as issues like that could be just due to an error. My experience of Anker is when given they are given chance to resolve things they do, and generally well. They are aware of the detail of this and hopefully will be in touch with you soon. An email I sent directly to you bounced back for some reason.

No worries, that’s why I wanted to message you separately rather than post about it openly here in this thread.

I agree with you about their customer service… they’ve been great so far when I received the refurbished one without the charger and cable.

I’ve sent them a video of the unit to show the issue so hopefully it can get sorted soon

After getting such a good price deal… and really liking the quality of the image… I’m starting to assume I might have to pay full price for a brand new one… :sweat_smile: