Beer Club Thread

This is a good saying - we don’t have one like this in the US. I think I may be German in my heart :laughing:

@professor also makes a good point about a belly being a sign of success and wealth. From now on, I consider myself wealthy and successful!

2 Likes

I made a mistake, the old bottling was teared down.
Seems they brew there but I am not sure what and how much.
Small building, so far.

This brewery (Sandstrasse) was former Spaten and Löwenbräu rented it.
Löwenbräu, Spaten is now a part of INBEV formerly AMBEV and INTERBREW.
Wiki says Löwnbräu, Spaten, Franziskaner and Beck is now brewed there.
I dont believe, fairy tales.
May be Löwnebräu is now brewed by Anheuser Bush and nobody knows. :rofl:

obelix

1 Like

Rural Montana has a strong dutch influence. There are whole autonomous religious communities called Hutterites that speak a highly specialized old German dialect. The sort of thing that happens when people isolate in communities for a hundred years - the language develops its own character and idiosyncrasies. Hutterites, however, exist outside of what I would consider “Montana” English. They actually speak English as second language and sound completely foreign to an American ear.

The other strong influence is Irish, who worked the mines (along with many other marginalized people in the late 1800’s - largely from eastern cities), most notably in Butte. This has led to a large Catholic population in MT to this day. Also St. Patricks day is very very popular here, with lots of Irish heritage groups staging celebrations across the state.

As for the average Montanan, most of them consider themselves to have no accent at all (which of course is not true), but it has the effect of deadening prejudice against those without the local accent. I have listened carefully to the Montana accent and have noticed only a few deviations from what I would consider the most neutral American accent, the one I speak with most often.

The word “root” (like from a tree) is pronounced “rut.” This is not a standard treatment of the “oo” sound, as the word “boot” is not also pronounced “but”. This one has perplexed me from the beginning.

The word “creek” (like a small stream of water) is pronounced “crick”. Again, not a standard treatment of the “ee” sound, since “speak” is not pronounced “spick” etc. Montanans are very particular about this word (as well as “rut”) and use it as a marker for who is “Montanan” and who isn’t.

The word “bag” is sometimes pronounced “ba-eeg”. Even my daughter does this. Not sure why the short a becomes a dipthong there. I even asked my daughter and she said she just likes the way it sounds. :man_shrugging:

Aside from those anomalies, I would call the Montana accent generally neutral with some Canadian flavor. There’s a light dusting of the classic Canadian “oo” in place of the “ou” (about = aboot, etc).

1 Like

The single best crime against humanity is Hell is not available everywhere.

I spent a long time near the train station, and yes we don’t need to mention what is also common there (it was cheap to live hence why).

Yeah I spotted the Catholic influence coming up 15 from Butte.

Although from a distance it looked like an astronaut.

1 Like

Same is with Portugues.
Spoken in Brasil its different from that in Portugal
When I was there I spoke that “Portuguese Portuguese”.
The Brasilians said to me what kind of “ancient” Portuguese I speak.
When I told them this is the the accent spoken in Portugal, they really were astonished.
Nowadays all the brasilian “tele novelas” are broadcasted in Portugal that there is another kind of influence back.
And in the southern part of Southamerica you speak “Portognol”
Mixture between Spanish and Portuguese.

Funny I liked than.
Always being understood somehow.

A very special place is Buenos Aires.
Mixture from Spanish and Italian there.

1 Like

So getting back to beer :beer:
Couldn’t face painting inside today as the weather was amazing.
Up at 6, in the garden by 6.30 staining the fence.
14 panels, 9 both sides and currently my right hand is numb.
Charlie helped later in the morning.
It’s a job well done and deserving of a beer.

2 Likes

Cheers :beer: @paulstevenewing …another IT support shift over, time for a beer…the look on one woman’s face when I picked these up a week or so ago (was that or no beer at the time)…what can I say I like the irony :laughing:

4 Likes

Nice fence! I’ve been meaning to get to this disgrace for some time. Maybe I can hire you? I pay in beer! :grin::beers:

2 Likes

I will call your fence a “Schamwand”

Different meanings in German

“wall of shame”, “paravent” or “privacy screen” :rofl:

1 Like

Hahahah I think “wall of shame” is accurate :laughing:

Sehr schön Paul. :smile:
You can come here as a helping hand, doing paintings etc.
You work and I take care of the beer. (storing in the basement and serving if needed)
Beer and food is free of course.

Although in USA it is usually with lime. I think it’s trying to be Mexican in origin.

For the vitamins, of course.

May be without lemon its not drinkable! :rofl:

When I take a look of the ingredients of portuguese beer I am “convulsing”.
Stabilizers for foam, preservatives and many of those “E” stuff.
And really it tastes like that,
By why drinking beer in that country when the wine is fantastic.
Same in France, Italy and Spain.
There is no need for such a beer.
I know this might sound very special picky and choosy but what shall I do?

Yes, Corona purposrts itself to be a “Mexican Lager” I am not sure what that means exactly, but local breweries have started brewing “Mexican Lager” described thusly at Copper Furrow Brewing:

MEXICAN LAGER
What exactly makes a lager Mexican? Well, when German immigrants moved to Mexico they utilized the what ingredients they could find. Corn, barley, and local yeast were used to make varying degrees of light to darker Vienna styles of beer. Crooked Furrow Mexican Lager uses those same ingredients to brew a crushable beer that has a touch of sweetness but still retains the crisp lager finish. A lime wedge is traditional but not required. Viva Mexican Lager! 4.5% ABV 21 IBU

While in Puerto Peñasco, I was told by a local that the origin of the lime was actually a countermeasure against flies getting in the beer. So, originally, the lime was not about taste, but to keep bugs out. :man_shrugging:

Looks like someone caught a case of Corona.

They are actually closing down because of the virus. Apparently Mexico does not deem beer as essential as Montana or the UK :laughing:

“Corona” is crown in Spanish,
The correct name of the virus is COVID-19 and should be used.

2 Likes

Well shall we make UK folks feel even worse?

The UK beer is weaker, deliberately than US beer.

$3.49 for 6.

I found it too strong so preferred this, same price.

What I observed (so anecdotal so probably incorrect) the Hispanics preferred:

I agree. There are many “coronaviruses” out there. COVID-19 is a new one.