Beer Club Thread

Yes, but we are co-experimenting.

Plastic?

I can see the argument against glass, we do not need any people in A&E from glass. But plastic…

I didn’t even think of the concept til you pointed it out. I got this, I know how to shorten the path and make online systems. I’ll handle that locally.

The challenge is how to stop pubs happening in gardens. Distancing has to occur for months.

Ha there are lots of those…

enrol / enroll

customise / customize

colour / color

etc

I am a Moodle admin, and there are even different language packs for the whole system based on American and British english. The system treats them as two different languages. :laughing:

1 Like

I did see some neighbors yesterday having friends on their porch for drinks. Technically, they were all 6 ft apart, but I nearly said something to them. I don’t want us to get complacent and screw this thing up more than we already have (Americans in particular - our response has left a lot to be desired).

I have been using glass growlers for >10 years, and they are really quite hardy. I have broken one by dropping it on the pavement from my bike. Not such a fan of plastic, we don’t need to make more of it and certainly don’t need to dispose of it. I think this is the ideal solution, honestly:

Until the pandemic, my brewery would fill anything you brought in and charge you by the oz. I’ve had all sorts of things filled - nalgene, steel tumblers, etc. They had to restrict to brewery-branded growlers for delivery for some reason, apparently state regulations?

1 Like

Where did you find this picture of me???!?!?!

1 Like

I almost always stick with the European spelling because I think it looks nicer (more elegant spelling) but somehow I’ve never heard of tyre.

1 Like

I, too, am from the south. Moonshining runs in my family. Interestingly, moonshiners invented NASCAR.

The local distillery in Helena has started producing hand sanitizer, actually. I’ve heard that some are doing the same thing in the Appalachian (pronounced Appa-LATCH-in) hollers where I grew up. It’s a long tradition in that culture, and they have a deep sense of responsibility to community. Fascinating stuff when you start digging on southern American moonshining…

Oh cool. Where did you live?

I grew up in several different parts of the country. I lived in Tennessee- which is where my grandpa was and made moonshine.

I also lived in the UP of Michigan (my grandpa lived there for a few years, and so did I).

Then eventually we moved to SC and I’ve been here ever since.

Lenoir, NC for the first 18 years of my life. School in Chapel Hill. Then MT.

The whole Lenoir/Boone/Linville/JohnsonCity/Bristol area is like a state unto itself. I always thought Appalachia should be its own state :laughing:

My mom’s people are from Shenandoah (southwestern VA) and my dad’s people are from GA (The family plantation was near Athens). Moonshiners on both sides though :laughing:

1 Like

@chiquinho I think we may be at risk for “kummerspeck” from all this beer. Am I using that word right?

Right!

Kummerspeck -> belly fat from greif

If so I would call it “belly fat of joy”
We have a saying.
“Ein Mann ohne Bauch ist ein Krüppel”
“A man without belly is s criple”

Two dictionaries can be used with LINUX English (UK) and English (US).
Same is with German : German (DE) and German (AT) and German (CH)
There are many words totally different in Austria.
I know those (1/2 Austrian) but the Germans normally dont.
Our Bavarian slang is a little bit similar to that in Austrian.

I like that steel tumbler. The little manometer makes it look “scientific”!

Plastic bottles and beer. A “no go” for me.
Creating more plastic garbage.
The reuse cycle is much shorter than those of glass.
And I suppose the plastic dissolves into the beer… :confounded:

1 Like

You lost your accent.

Wow… great discussions going here… took my morning 15 mins :man_facepalming:

Belly fat is nature’s way of storing food others cannot loot.

The very narrow diversity in our genes relative to the fossil record implies our species spent a very long time almost extinct. No doubt during that period there were many famine / feast / famine cycles and the genes for storing belly fat got naturally selected.

So the fatter people are genetically superior!

(you see what I just did there?)

Erased it, actually. Outside of the south (and in certain contexts within the south) a southern accent is a cultural liability. People don’t take you seriously. I first learned to control it when participating in theater, then chose to standardize my vowel pronunciation (the place where the southern accent lives - all southern vowels are dipthongs) in every day life.

When I speak with southerners (especially my grandmother) I allow it to take over again. I .not sure she would understand me orherwise.

1 Like

So within UK, a southern accent is an advantage, to be precise a Sussex accent, but in USA a UK northern accent is an advantage. I can move my accent and tried different ones to find good matches.

I worked in Alabama for a while and I found I got more success by adopting that accent, but I then worked in Texas and I found a UK northern accent best.

I semi-consciously control it, people hear me on the phone and notice I use different accents based on who I am talking to.

I know what you mean about a southern US accent being a disadvantage, it implies lower intellect, less educated, but it has the advantage, like in UK of a northern accent, of appearing more genuine, more honest. In USA my most enjoyable accent is New York.

In UK, for example if I go to north Wales, if I speak with other than a welsh accent I found I’m treated inferior, in northern Scotland I have to be also similarly perfectly highlander. But if say I want to be left alone in most places in England, speaking as a lowlands, e.g. Glaswegian, is a success.

I made the effort to learn French when I worked in Paris, then used it in Canada and they laughed at my Parisian accent. I’m not fluent, basically just ordering food+drinks. I learned German when working in Munich and tried it on another German who said I spoke with a Bavaria dialect. I cannot change my French or German accent, only my English.

In Montana I tried a few accents, they best understood my UK northern accent, so I stuck with that. UK northern is similar to Dutch accent, extended vowels, so I figured Montana was seeded by the Dutch. I never bothered to look up the history so I’m easily incorrect.

If you want a bit of fun…

I appreciate the logic here :sunglasses:

In those times of Neandertalers it was difficult to store fat.
When we caught a mammoth we totally eat it.
Then we were starving for a while.
No three meals a day. :wink:

Do we really need those 3 meals a day.
We are not so “far away” from stone age.
May be we use a lot of technical stuff but the evolution is more slower.

May be it would be better to act like hedgehogs and bears.
Eat a lot in autumn and rest in winter.

Bar is open here!
Prost

I would like to hear you speaking bavarian!

“Oan’s Zwoa, G’suffa” :joy:

Something about I was I was rolling my Rs?

I don’t know enough German to move the accent. But extended Rs is a typical American trend. In fact, it is the biggest single easiest way to sound American.

I wonder if German was common in USA.

My nickname last time I was in Munich was Alkoholfrei as I could not keep up with the locals. I was across the street from Lowenbrau, we had to close our windows due to the smell.

There are two kinds of “r” in German

The “rolled” one using tongue and gum. in front of the mouth
The other r is spoken more “at the end” of the mouth.
I would call it “cawing”
(The dict has more expressions, I dont know the right one)

But lets try :

“Freibier”
Please use (Bavarian rolled r) :grin:

There is no more brewery in the city of München
All went out.
But I know the “smell” you talk about
When I was a student I lived near “Paulaner Bräu” in Giesing.
I didnt about care the the smell. :smiley:

I was opposite this for a week

It’s closed now?