Battery power declining even when charging

Hello,

I am having a problem with the battery consumption on my Nexus7 even when it is connected into my airplanes power supply. I’ve turned down the brightness a bit to a level I am minimally comfortable with, acquired more robust cables and have a smart 2.4 amp 12v lighter-charger. Yet the power still slowly declines on the tablet when in use with Naviator in the air. I’ve even seen this on my home charger with the adapter plugged into 120 volts. I have a spare battery just in case but I would prefer the tablet stay fully charged for a greater reserve in a power emergency. On a long trip back from Florida it got down to 30% before I landed mid way to home. It would not have made it all the way back to PA that evening but I did not want to continue anyway due to deteriorating weather.Anyone else have this problem or know other ways to conserve power?

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn’t find the right solution from the Internet.

Thank you.

Power is still declining because the tablet is using more power than it is drawing from the charger.

Download the Ampere app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere
This will show you how much power your tablet is using at any given time. Get a base line reading from your tablet without it plugged in to the mains/charger. Then plug it in and see what difference it makes.

Brightness and power hunger apps are normally the cause of most power drains. However old batteries can lose power quicker than they can recharge,

1 Like

As @Arwen stated, it’s likely your tablet is requiring more power than a charger can provide. Most tables can accept 12 watts (5 volts x 2.4 amps) from a charger. If your tablet is using more than 12 watts of power, then it may slowly decline instead of charging.
It sounds like you’re using a navigation app, so the use of the GPS chip will use a good bit of power, unfortunately.

The power supplies in the seats are usually not very powerful.
Planes do have 120/240 plugs but usually not in Economy class.

Saving energy you can only do by shutting down things. WiFi, bluetooth. Minimum amount of apps running.

My solution during flights is fat powerbank.
I use the powerbank to keep my laptop charged and at the same time charge my powerbank with the USB outlet of my seat. That won’t keep my powerbank fully charged but it surely helps a little. I just keep it plugged in all the time also when not using my laptop.
Works great on intercontinental flights.