Apple rumoured to hold iPhone 12 event on October 13

Glad to hear it :+1:t2:
Same here mate all is well.
Start a new job Thursday after spending 14 yeas with my current firm, that will be odd but looking forward to it.
Stay safe mate.

1 Like

Ah ok, change of jobs by your own choice?

1 Like

Yes @k_pug2003
My current work wasn’t as flexible as I needed it to be, we are only talking 2hrs per week I needed to move but they couldn’t adapt, plus the place has changed a lot in the last 2 years since we were bought out.
So time for a change and quite excited about it.

1 Like

Happy days, my place before lockdown never had the ability to work from home. So in essence lockdown has forced it to become more flexible/modern.

But saying that I would still love to change jobs - just there’s not too many opportunities going at the min.

1 Like

I think lockdown has forced companies into it, which is good @k_pug2003
We proved to be just as profitable during lockdown as before.
But I’m in telecoms so it was a massive boom time for us.

I didn’t think there would be much out there until I started to look.
Had a few interviews, was offered 2 and took the one that was closest to home and the most flexible.
I think the opportunities are there, it’s more about what type of job you want and if you would take something different to what your used too.

1 Like

There is more good news to Bay area folks (including me :smiley: )

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission approved a long-term vision for the Bay Area that includes a push for certain employers to require many of their employees to work from home. Just need to see how fast this gets implemented though!

1 Like

Working from home for many forward thinking businesses has worked for many years and increased profits and given value to employees.
Obviously not all jobs can allow working from home. But those positions that can, should be offered to the employee.
On top of that think of the pollutions and resources it saves @Shenoy :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have been remote since end of March, and job allows for it… :blush: i always used to wonder, why are all these big buildings and office spaces required… May be covid was required to bring about this change…

1 Like

Logic though may make you regret that wish.

I am personally a big fan of working from home, but the bay area has a vulnerability for many if it became popular. Silicon valley tech companies exist because of the creative vibe of lots of highly intelligent, motivated, educated folks in a dense area.

If everyone works from home, then it would kill silicon valley. The tech companies would see little point in being there, and the area would shrink back to it’s other reasons to exist which are primarily the climate and scenery. It would lower housing costs, so homeowners lose out and those who want to live there but not yet own benefit.

If you can have an HQ in cyberspace and not in a specific place, you’d put your HQ somewhere with lower costs, lower rent, lower property taxes. If you can use people from anywhere and they work remote, you’d pay less to have them from somewhere they can live cheaper. As salaries are taxed and then employees pay for homes from post-tax net income, it’s substantially lower cost to employer to pay less to people who live in lower cost places.

I’m only thinking logically, not inside knowledge or predicting.

This is a very difficult theme.
OK i am a pensioner, out of job.
So I am not really affected
But for me it would have been very hard to do such lonesome a home job.
Though we could have video and phone conferences.

A friend of mine working for “Gockel” (sic) told me its hard for him not to be in personal contact with colleagues.
Frustrating!

1 Like

I worked from home for many years, I find it makes everything easier, childcare, shopping, etc, I’d have a quiet moment between virtual meetings and nip to the shop, or a quiet time and offer to do school run, etc.

I think 100% isolated is too far though. About 80% virtual would be my ideal.

I also chose to stop working, and so work pattern cannot be interrupted, but then there’s a different set of problems, all the places and things I’d do with all this extra spare time, is compromised. Last week for example, I could just not go walk-in to a campsite, I had to book, could not play by ear based on weather and whim.

So many, workers or not, are being negatively impacted.

1 Like

We had SOFI locate an office here in Helena a few years ago for these exact reasons. It’s been great for the SOFI employees I know so far, even a few locals are getting in on the action. They love living cheap in the mountains with access to outdoors, etc.

I think there’s a lot of movement going on in tech/telecoms/SaaS areas right now. We’re reimagining what it means to work and I think it’s going to suit us all better in the long run. Fewer commutes, less traffic, lower housing prices, more family time, less pollution, etc. I think it will actually be a good thing despite some difficulties getting there.

Nodding violently.

The change though will be bad for some.

Managers build careers on their ability to manipulate, spot slackers, spot talent and move people in / out. They will find their job harder and fewer will do it well. The bad managers who only trusted people actually working by spying on them at the office will struggle, the lockdown forced these bad managers to change, possibly permanently.

Office rental space income, and accomodation costs in high density high cost areas. Incumbants, those who own, will lose money.

But yes, agree, the net is positive, money moves into decentralised local, society is improved, the planet is improved. Just bad managers will get career limited.

2 Likes

I must admit i found it tough working from home at times.
I surprised myself how productive i have been.
Before i worked from home i thought i was all coffee, tv, sitting in the sun and checking an odd email.
In reality i would estimate I’ve been 25% more productive than if i was in the office. So that leads to a little more “downtime” nearer the end of the week if you play it clever.

Im looking forward to starting fresh but feel it will take some adjusting to get back into office routines.

1 Like

Had enough of those in my life that they won’t be missed :smile:

2 Likes

Oh ja, depends really on the job Paul.
Great you managed it so good.

My new neighbor Jeff (He is from Arizona)
is in an administration job for MS.
Always at home in the basement!
Unfortunately there is no better place for him in their house
I call him always “Kerkersklave”
But he got used to it, because was never working in a “real” office with others.

Good luck Paul with your new job.
You will make it of course! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words Franz :+1:t2:

1 Like

One times a friend, ever a friend! :grinning:

1 Like

Everybody go vote on my original apple thread about this: Is Apple no longer shipping iPhones with power adapters?! And other Apple iPhone 12 Speculation

Anker PowerPort Nano III 20W is Now Available for order on Amazon. Available for $19.99

In stock on October 7th, fastest delivery on Oct 13th… Same date as iPhone 12 event (I guess so) by Apple