Apple iOS 13 Warning Issued For iPhone Users

Apple iOS 13 has had a disastrous launch. Not only is it full of bugs and security concerns but after three rushed updates in two weeks, it is still a no-go area. And now iPhone users running iOS 13 have a new problem they need to know about.

Every wireless charging-compatible iPhone is affected by the new speed restrictions in iOS 13, including Apple’s new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro MaxAPPLE

Ad

ChargerLab has revealed that Apple is quietly slashing the performance of third-party wireless chargers for iPhones running iOS 13. Moreover, there’s currently no guidance for manufacturers to avoid this so owners who have paid for expensive fast wireless chargers may find their money has been wasted.

What ChargerLab found specifically was that with the launch of iOS 13.1 many third-party wireless chargers rated at Apple’s 7.5W maximum wireless charging speeds were now operating at 5W. As you might expect, this lengthened wireless charging times substantially. For example, an iPhone 11 running iOS 13 would wirelessly charge to 80% in two hours but after installing iOS 13.1 it only achieved a charge of 55% in the same time period. That’s woefully slow.

The downgrade still exists in iOS 13.1.2 and, despite no official explanation from Apple, AppleInsider learned from a source within the company that the change is deliberate. “Any vendors who are fully compliant with the Qi charging spec and all of our guidance will see 7.5W charging,” said their source.

As an attempt to protect customers, that would seem reasonable but AppleInsider discovered: “the issue is more complicated. Manufacturers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Apple has yet to give them any specific direction. Also, that they have discovered being fully compliant with Qi certification requirements does not appear to guarantee their products will avoid the 5W cap.”

All iPhone fast chargers sold through Apple Stores still operate at 7.5WAPPLE

And here’s where it gets worrying. ChargerLab’s tests found that all wireless charging pads sold by Apple Stores still worked at 7.5W. Apple calls this rate ‘Apple Fast Charging’ but it is actually just part of the Qi wireless charging standard (which goes up to 15W in rival products) so Apple shouldn’t be enforcing any sort of certification under its Apple MFi Program. If that has changed, fast wireless charger prices look set to increase for iPhone customers.

I have asked Apple for a statement and will update this article if one is received.

In the meantime, the company’s silence is concerning. Especially coming just a week after Apple decided to show lockscreen warnings to any iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max owner who damages their screen and doesn’t get it repaired at an official Apple partner. The company similarly locked down iPhone battery replacements in August in a move described as “user-hostile”. So it certainly seems like a pattern.

So no, iPhone owners didn’t need yet another reason to avoid iOS 13. But here it is.

I have seen at least one member post issues about charging speed with iOS 13 here

Reference

2 Likes

Weird. Haven’t had any bugs since the very first beta…

2 Likes

I will test mine today… have not realized if it was slower

1 Like

Not better than Windows so far.
Why not a joined venture Apple and Microsoft creating bugs. :rofl:

2 Likes

They are creating a lobby of bloated prices and driving customers to “upgrade” to get the best of unfavorable experience

2 Likes

Perfect said.
Not even better than others.

1 Like

I haven’t run into any issues with iOS 13 either. But the media would never blow anything out of proportion… especially Forbes. :joy:

2 Likes

This is one post which mentions of similar issue

1 Like

To my knowledge, me, friends, family, and the 1000+ other medical professionals that I work with (our hospital issues us iPhone XS’s) have not reported any of these problems. We are all running iOS 13.1.2. I will keep you guys posted if any of these issues come to light.

1 Like

sounds good, thank you @C4RB1N3

1 Like

Wow. Definitely something to look into. I haven’t really paid attention to my wireless charging speeds.

1 Like

I can confirm I am seeing this with an Anker PowerPort 4. It is very frustrating.

For one thing, I have my set of Anker chargers that were working great until Apple disabled their fast charging functionality via the iOS 13.1 update.

I also have too many gadgets to charge simultaneously (i.e. iPad, Watch, headsets, etc). For this reason, I heavily rely on a 4-port travel Anker charger. I don’t want to buy another fast charger that’s specific to my iPhone because Apple decides to limit non-Apple chargers. I have enough chargers to carry in my bag already (plus the laptop chargers).

Yet another reason I start considering to avoid this lock-in and switch to Android for future purchases.