Anker devices fail to charge the PS5's DualSense controller

Tonight, I went to charge my DualSense for the first time, and was a bit concerned when it didn’t charge using my Anker PowerPort PD 2 with a USB-C to USB-C cable. I then tried it on my Anker PowerPort III Nano and had the same experience. It also didn’t charge using my Apple 61W USB-C Power Adapter. Finally, it failed to charge on my Anker PowerCore 10000 PD+.

However, I did find a few devices the DualSense did charge with. It worked via USB-C to USB-C on my Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD, my Anker PowerCore 13400 Nintendo Switch Edition, my Anker PowerPort Speed PD 30, my Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger, and my Nintendo Switch AC Adapter. However, I noticed one big flaw with all these chargers: they only charged the DualSense at half the speed of the PS5. The PS5 charges the DualSense from its front USB ports (both Type-C and Type-A) at approximately 5V, 1A. These chargers were only able to charge the DualSense at 5V, 0.5A. Devices like my PC and my MacBook Pro would only charge the DualSense at 5V, 0.25A.

I was unable to find a single device in my house (and as you can probably tell, I have quite the collection) that was able to charge the DualSense at the same speed as the PS5. I was quite disappointed as I come to expect Anker to have the widest compatibility with devices.

Anker devices that fail to charge DualSense controller:

• PowerPort PD 2
  • PowerPort III Nano
  • PowerCore 10000 PD+

Anker devices that charge DualSense controller at half-speed:

• PowerCore Speed 20000 PD
  • PowerCore 13400 Nintendo Switch Edition
  • PowerPort Speed PD 30
4 Likes

Perhaps this is down to Sony restricting use of 3rd party chargers, just as Samsung do with their flagship range of phones @dstaley

1 Like

I don’t think so, because it charges on devices without PowerIQ. Things like Qualcomm QuickCharge aren’t spec-compliant, and my guess is the DualSense is doing something that tricks the Anker chargers but not those that solely use the USB C spec.

1 Like

Oh man that’s so disappointing!

1 Like

Weird. I can use anker usb cable to charge my ps4 controller.

2 Likes

Yeah microUSB was a much more simple interface. USB-C is far more complicated, even more so once you add in protocols like Qualcomm QuickCharge.

1 Like

That’s really unfortunate

1 Like

Congrats on securing the 5 btw :+1:t2:

1 Like

Good point. That’s somewhat true

1 Like

I really like your style. Nice post, keep posting and sharing!

I wonder if they will release something exclusive to charge ps5 controllers

So did the Anker USB-C to USB-C charge the PS5 controller fine when it was plugged into the PS5?

It’s weird that it won’t charge it, I think it should

I can say that I have had 0 issues charging mine with another cable. HOWEVER, other cables have failed to allow it to update its firmware.

2 Likes

anyone have any input on the PowerPort Atom PD 4 or the PowerPort Atom III Slim? I’m trying to get a wall charger that’ll USB C > C my PS5 controller & macbook air, but also USB A my PS4 controller.

I know some of those listed will presumably USB A > C the PS5 controller but limited ports, limited cables etc etc.

I cant believe its this hard to find something workable.

I just found out this problem today - Weird thing is if I switch the Anker charger off from mains switch it back on / put plug back in - It will charge PS5 controller.

This is the only work around as it wont charge normally by just plugging the usb c directly into the controller.

That’s not a good sign, implies the charger overload protection kicked in.

Has anyone tried to see if powerbanks in trickle mode will charge the controllers? Some low power accessories are not able to be fast charged, and PD chargers are all about power and fast charging.

No there was no overload

By the way the Anker charger I have is called the Anker PowerPort Atom III 63w Slim

The charger doesn’t recognise the any PS5 controller unless it is initially from a cold state - ie off then switched on/plugged in

It recognises everything else I could throw at it without this work around

Thought it was a fault initially but it is by design - most probably from Sony’s side.

I finally got my anker powercore slim 10000 to charge my PS5 dual sense controller. It only works if I turn the controller off… then connect the power bank to the controller… wait a second for the yellow charging indicator to glow on the controller… turn the controller on. This should keep it charging until you pull the cord out. Then you have to repeat the process. Hope this helps those who cannot charge their PS5 controller from an anker power bank.

1 Like