Anker Cable Flicker

I recently noticed my lightning canle (Anker Brand) stopped charging my phone and today I noticed that it made my Anker powerport light flicker and if left plugged in the usb side of the cable would become very hot. This cable seems to be the culprit as any other cable including another Anker cable I own will not cause the flicker and will charge my phone. What do you guys think may have happened? Has anyone else experienced this?

The light flicker can be from many causes, I find that light of dubious benefit away (aside)

The fact you cable doesnt work and the cable becomes hot near the charger tells me the cable has nearly failed, the metal inside is breaking, so the energy coming out of the charger is being lost as heat as the cable is acting as a resistor. The charger will also be trying to push through a damaged cable via VoltageBoost.

I’d say you are in warranty replacement territory with the cable.

Might be good to eliminate other items like try that cable in other chargers, or try another cable in the same charger, to be sure its not something else. Doing that and saying you tried that might eliminate an iteration email exchange, save you a day or two, in the warranty claim.

1 Like

I think the usb cable has become defective as I had the same problem with a micro usb powerline which had its fair share of wear and tear over a year of heavy usage. Unfortunately it was out of warranty since I had got it from ebay and not from ankerdirect. However my powerport works with new cables. The poweport light flicker is also a giveaway would suggest testing with different outlets too.Lightning cables seem to not last very long, I know that I have burned my way through several already.

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial?? Any suggestions? I have already tried another cable as I stated above and that cable does charge my phone and will NOT cause my Anker PowerPort to flicker.

This is the first time I had a lightning cable go kapoot on me. And of all brands it had to be Anker… :joy: I have used $1 gas station cables for many years and they never failed, until I lost them. :expressionless:

Yeah I figured it was the cable but I just wonder what may have caused it. As I never let water near my cables and even go so far as to not use my phone when it is recharging solely for the sake of not putting undue stress on them. And of all cables I have owned this is the first time this has happened and as I told @neildutta it just had to be my beloved Anker cable. So now I as resorted to charging my iPhone and iPad with a piece of crap OEM cable.

So the failure rate of Anker cables in my experience is low, and it is cables, above everything which fails on me most.

Is it within warranty? You know how…

Also Warranty means two things, it means a general confidence the cable will last longer, as well as if in warranty you get a free replacement. It does not the cable won’t fail.

I bought a meter to let my test cables, chances are it was failing over time, and VoltageBoost was just shoving past it, the wire gets hotter that makes it softer, the aging accelerates til you eventually notice it. I found one of my Anker cables in such a pre-failure state the Amps were low but the voltage higher (voltageboost) but a lot more non-Anker cables were just as bad. Three conclusion are to Anker cables are good, still recommended, periodically check your cables with a meter, and when traveling leave home with 2 cables of each key variety.

1 Like

I want to test Ankers customer service and let them contact me. As I do have a backup in the meantime. :wink:

I read your request and my colleague will contact you ASAP!!!:heart:

1 Like