? Anker 3 in 1 magnetic Charging Cables.... Obviously would be the World's best.......Anker..?

Well Anker, you are World class and Obviously Superior, when will we see this? Or inform us as to why not. Please

1 Like

anker is known for effecient chargers, im not sure but dont you lost some of energy through magnetic?

1 Like

Well it is up to Anker obviously but I can think of many good reasons why not.

1. Electrical inefficiency. You are wasting the power you made in the charger and into the cable. A cable is a chemical bond between the copper atoms, through electrons can hop between at low resistance, if you make a magnetic connection those electrons have to jump a larger gap, so more resistance.

Anker does make a 3-in-1, they use a long length of overlap between the connectors to lower the resistance, you can’t do that and be magnetic detachable. Anker’s 3-in-1 is only 10W, and you tried to use the idea in higher Current situations, you’d necessarily get more heat at the connection.

1. Unreliability. It is by definition a moving part, it has to, by definition, be weak so it fails before the connector within the device fails. If it’s so weak it does come off before the USB in device does, then it can fall off when you don’t want it to.
  2. 3-in-1, so how exactly is it both magnetic and 3 in 1. Show me a drawing how you’d make it. It can either be a protruding 3-in-1 then a magnetic connection so it’s a complex set of things, or you’re talking a removeable adapter which can be lost. I’m not seeing how you’d make it.
2 Likes

There’s also some good points to this though.

1. Instant disconnect if you accidentally walk through your cable (protects cable, as well as device being charged).
  2. Make adapters for microUSB, USB-C, and lightning, and then have universal compatibility with your cable (the adapter is usually small, and stays in the given device).
  3. This is a minor point, but it is a little faster to connect with a magnetic charger in my experience.

It’s a worthwhile debate.

I’m well aware of the potential safety advantages, but you have to make magnetic connection sufficiently weak it gives in before anything else (to get the safety) meaning it will struggle with electrical efficiency.

So you can’t use these in higher power situations.

In lower power situations, wireless charging would be even better.

There are reviews, he says he’s measured but as the voltage drop is at the phone end, he’d have to insert inline at the phone end the voltage drop. This video says data doesn’t work reliably.

I think Anker has gone down a totally different path of focusing on the cable being reliable even though it suffering the bends (of not having magnetic connection) it makes a reliable cable, which can do efficient power and reliable data but suffers from cable yank.

Cable yank is often why I prefer a short cable to a Powercore than a long cable to a Powerport.

1 Like

i dont think the convenience is worth the sacrifice in charging power but that is just me

1 Like

Not disagreeing, but counter argument:

• Qi wireless is convenience sacrificing charging power.
1 Like

Personally I think wireless charging is the most I’m willing to sacrifice and even in most situations I still got for a regular charging cable

I love my wireless charger :+1:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spam Links / Accounts - ongoing