Anker 20W USB C Nano charger and non fast charge devices

Hi
I’ve been looking at the Anker 20W USB C Nani charger on Amazon (UK).

In the description is seems the charger can be used with a variety of devices when you have a USB C to lightning cable, which I do.

One person has repeatedly stated not to use the charger with non fast charge devices because it will burn out the wire quicker due to the voltages. No comment from Anker as far as I can see.

Is this right? Various points in the description seem to counter this claim and I’ve always used more powerful chargers with devices without issue. Every Google search seems to suggest this is fine. Is there something different about this charger or USB C which means using this charger with my iPhone 11 will be fine but not the wife’s 6s or our old iPad mini??? Obviously without fast charge!!

Seems a bit odd…

1 Like

Hey sorry for my bad English but I’m from Germany … My mother always uses my charger (Anker Nano 20W) for her Iphone 5 without any problems. The only thing is that you cannot use the fast charge function, but otherwise there are no problems with normal cables either

1 Like

Not true.

No issue.

The socket is IQ3 and presents a list of charging protocols. The device will see these and send a control signal back what it accepts.

If no such control signal is received then the default of 5V will result.

The worst case is the device attached insists on a specific protocol which it doesn’t see and so charger doesn’t work.

So no unexpected voltage will happen, either the agreed volts or 5V or nothing.

In the case of an iPhone, I have the Nano and USB meter and tested with iPhone 11. What happened for me was the voltage was 5V then went it 9V and the phone bleeped twice.

1 Like

I’ve never had issues using Anker chargers that “could” output more that my device needs.
Ive been charging a Nano charger for a while on an old slow charging device and not had issues.
I think you are fine @paulb2005

1 Like

Hi @Fave08

I would not worry about your English. Was perfect. Certainly better than my German. :smiley:

I appreciate your response. Thanks.

Thanks @professor

Great technical answer which I could follow.

Not sure where this chap on Amazon is getting his info from. I wish @Anker would respond to him.

1 Like

Thanks @paulstevenewing. Sets my mind at rest. Cheers

1 Like

The originator of fake news is also making unsafe statement, not just incorrect.

What causes issues in wires is current, not voltage. If you use a charger only capable of 5V then the current will be 2.4A, for 12W assuming you have a 5V 2.4A charger. If you connect the Nano which can do 9V then prior to iPhone 12 the higher 9V causes 2A to deliver 18W. As energy lost in a cable, which causes heat, is to the square of current so the Nano is (1-2*2/2.4/2.4) 30% safer. So not only is the opinion wrong it’s less safe.

A more useful conversation is to have on cables, picking of quality ones, of which an Anker Powerline would be a good choice.

2 Likes

Thanks. In case anyone is interested it’s in the questions part of this page -https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LPCJ1YX

I see it

Utter twaddle. Anker need to do something, us consumers can’t do anything other than report abuse and I’m not doing that as it’s not abuse, it is just wrong. So as I’ve bought this product I’ve done my own answer there.

1 Like

Youre most welcome @paulb2005
Were a friendly bunch here with a broad range of knowledge. Drop in regularly and see whats going :+1:t2:

1 Like