737 120W teardown A2148

https://www.chongdiantou.com/archives/163609.html

2 Likes

Wild find, @professor!

Guess that reinforcement ring answers your other question about socket-support / plug-in cable!

… I don’t think they’ll be able to follow these directions in reverse to reassemble.

1 Like

Indeed.

It does reinforce (pun) the designer hasn’t spent any time in the cheaper old hotels in USA, nor the beta testers

The thermo sensor and all the thermo compound does hint at an overheating, which a benchmark if the 120W is throttled.

No reviews yet just boilerplates reading out specs “review”.

Video version

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1CV4y1j7zy

1 Like

Really great find. If you look at Amazon reviews there are already people complaining about it falling easily out of outlets and being stuck when they forget the support ring

1 Like

Heavier items using USA 2 prongs should really hug the wall , like this

So Anker knows this already and knows how to solve it. Baffling why they didn’t do it for the 737.

It also seems from this one article to not be 120W.

Look again

https://www.chongdiantou.com/archives/163609.html

So one laptop got 90W , which probably is related to this one laptop not needing more than 90W.

However when you connect two laptops, each wanting 90W, they don’t get 120W / 2 = 60W, they get 56.8W + 55.6W each so 112.5W, not 120W.

Similarly the 90W drops when adding phone , total 103W.

Also note that if you are using PPS you’re limited to 55W, not 100W.

However I’d encourage Anker to place this charger in the hands of more people who actually use and benchmark rather than point a camera at the item and quote what’s written. That’s not asking for myself as I own 1 item supporting 45W.

Via more hands-on evaluation we get a more accurate picture, certainly more accurate than just quoting what Anker said.

1 Like

Even the 511 design is an issue, because the prongs fold the wrong way - if you insert that naturally into the bottom set of two plugs, with the weight of the device below it, the prongs tend to fold up, and can fall out of a bad or old socket easily.

I completely agree with you that this is a poor design shape for practical devices. It ends up needing to be plugged into a horizontally placed power strip - which then tends to tip over if it isn’t double wide, especially if cables are attached and going to the side.

I still like devices that come with a cable and don’t attach directly to the wall best.

1 Like

Agree. You can just put it so gravity works against folding but then it can be lifting off the wall from above.

For travel I also tend to use corded “desk” chargers and use the appropriate cable for the country.

I wish they made with slide on plugs and one being C8.

Aware of these upcoming chargers I just got the 4 port 65W desk charger Prime day sale for half the cost of the 3 port 65W wall and quarter cost of this “120W” (yet to be shown to give more than 113W).

This implies another serious design flaw, the USB-C sockets too deep