USB C cable charging limits?

So I need a USB -C to USB-C cable. I was looking for one and I noticed something odd. Even the USB-C 3.1 cables have these limitations:

Fully Compatible Devices
- Galaxy S8/S8+/S9
- Google Pixel
- Nexus 6P
- Huawei Matebook
- Nintendo Switch
- MacBook (2016)/MacBook Pro 13.3’’

Compatible Devices (limited charging speeds)
- Nexus 5X
- MacBook Pro 15.4’’
- HTC 10
- Lumia 950
- LG V20/G5/G6
- Xiaomi 5

Incompatible Devices
- Huawei Mate 9/P10
- MOTO Z/Z Force
- One Plus 3

Maybe @AnkerTechnical can clarify - why the limitations on the charging speeds, and why are certain phones not compatible with this cable? I am pretty sure a macbook takes more current than a Moto Z, so what’s the limitation? If These can be advertised as PD, why the limitations?

Also, I’m interested if I could charge my 45W Asus Chromebook Flip C302 with this cable. The same chromebook charges from the atom and the Anker USBC cable that came with the Speed 30W PD charger.

It just seems odd to me that there is a limitation on the chraging speed of a cable rather than the adapter.

For anyone wanting a cable like this that can handle high speed charging, this is the one to go for, but it’s super expensive. I just can’t imagine a $30 cable.

4 Likes

In order for a usb-c to c cable to push more than 60 watts, or more than 3 amps of current it requires an E-marker chip that allows it.

1 Like

good article here @gAnkster

more insights into the world of USB-C, at this steep price i would stick to the Micro-USB world, until the price sobers down :smiley:

1 Like

I thought a lot of compatibility issues were because of the devices themselves. So either they require more power than what the cables can pass or they don’t support the higher power input. Could be wrong but that’s what I’ve understood from community members here

2 Likes

Lol I want that cable. I hope it’s on a power draw again soon

The limits are limited by the manufacturer not by Anker.

A lot of those manufacturers have their own cables and charging program.

Even Samsung smart charge is 9v 1.67 to get fast charge… As an example.

1 Like

The charger only have PD can not charge the QC devices as fast, check the example below:

1 Like

The primary factor is how much current a particular USB-C cable can carry. All USB-C cables can handle 3A. That allows up to 60W charger on the device. Some USB-C cables can handle 5A. That allows up to 100W charge. Most devices don’t draw more than 60W. But the ones you saw listed do. Cables that support 5A have an eMarker, which the device and charger use to verify the cable can handle the additional current.

The MacBook Pro 15-inch draws up to 87W. Most other 15-inch laptops draw well over 60W as well. The newer Huawei and One Plus phones use unique fast chargers that increase current and voltage. As such to use Huawei or One Plus fast chargers need a 5A cable.

It is worth noting that USB 2.0 vs USB 3.1 has nothing to do with how much current a cable can handle. That is a separate standard dealing with data transfer. You can have a USB-C 2.0 cable that supports 5A. Or a USB-C 3.1 cable that supports 3A.

Unless you need a universal cable buy based on what your own devices need and don’t worry about the rest.

You can learn more about the different USB-C cables here: https://usbcurrent.com/what-is-usb-c/#cables

2 Likes