Top 3 Anker devices for traveling?

Well it is only carry-on knife / tools which have restrictions. I only travel with carry-on so yes I miss having a tool with me. I keep a Leatherman tool in UK for when i visit. Within USA you can carry-on specifically designed products

https://www.leatherman.com/tsa

Mostly for my Chromecast and door sensor. They won’t connect to networks with captive portals easily, so my travel router has a SSID that they always connects to. Also nice having a single SSID for all my devices to connect to instead of having to login to the captive portal every-time.

2 Likes

Ahh, I got ya, make your router be the MAC address to authenticate to the hotel’s network and then all your devices behind the router don’t have to and simply work. Clever!

I can make a cheap battery powered router probably, you given be a reason to! Hint involves a small ARM based motherboard not needing more than USB power.

I moved this to another thread as its about some things Anker doesn’t (yet) make.

1 Like

I use a HooToo TripMate Nano, works pretty well!

3 Likes

I use ravpower file hub plus

2 Likes

I take a my special cooking knife and a sharper with me.
And a tool to remove fish scales when travelling to certain countries.

1 Like

The TSA get made when I try to bring any objects that are longer than 3 inches and are pointy

They even made a twitter to post all the things they find in my bags when I travel

:confused:

Of course I can not take the knife on board.
But to carry it with the normal luggage there is no problems.

Some time ago I forgot my pocket knife.
I had to hand it over to the security and got a confirmation.
When heading home I was given it back! :grin:

Ah, unless I am gone for more then 6 days I only travel with a carry on

I not travelled with more than 40L, carry-on, for over a decade. There simply is not enough things anyone needs which exceeds that. If I am camping, carrying my house on my back, does not exceed 40L, so by definition if I’m not carrying a house, its even less.

If I challenge someone’s needs I get “but I might need it…”, basically just fear manifesting as excuses. Our brains are the most complex structures in the observable universe, but apparently we need a pair of shoes more than are on our feet? Come on…

Wearing:

• Merino wool top, long sleeve in winter, short sleeve in summer + rolldown arm warmers.
  • thin walking trousers
  • general purpose shoes appropriate to the trip
  • phone
  • headphones, e.g. Anker Soundbuds Life.

Carrying:

• another wool top. “but what if its cold?” wear both briefly, the one you’re wearing and the carried one. Merino lasts 4-7 days between washes.
  • another pair of walking trousers. These last 2-3 days between washes and you can wash in a sink in soap and hang, drip dry, in 1-2 days easily so you rotate between them to get to infinite days
  • underwear, about 4-5 in total and wash these every couple of days, to get to infinite days. How to wash? It’s a sink, hot water, a bar of soap, total effort is about 1-2 minutes per day.
  • waterproof or insulating jacket, appropriate to the season,e.g. to travel in winter in subzero is my down parka, in summer in damp its just a thin windproof and carry an umbrella
  • down vest if highly varying weather location
  • waterproof or windproof over-trousers to the weather, at a pinch you wear theses if your 2 trousers end up in the wash around the same time and not quite dry, in winter you wear these over your walking trousers.
  • laptop / tablet appropriate to the trip
  • Anker Powerport, 2 to 5 ports
  • Anker Powercore, I find 2 ports and 13Ah about enough to last 1-2 days
  • Anker Powerline cables.
  • Buff, for sun, cold, block your eyes to sleep on flights

The maximum total volume comes in winter if visiting highly variable conditions, e.g. the physically biggest volume comes from cities like New York who over a period of a couple of weeks varies between 20F freezing windy cold to above zero rain, so it needs a waterproof insulation coat, long sleeved, full length front zip and big pockets, and an insulated hood for the ears. Such a coat is about 10L volume. The minimum total volume is actually consistently subzero as you do not need waterproofs, you need a down parka and they squish smaller than waterproofs, about 2L.

Then when you encounter the person who says “what if…”

• in rare situations you need something, buy it where you are. It’s planet Earth, not the Moon. Shops exist everywhere.
  • Borrow it. Borrow a sweater if you visit somewhere colder. Kindness in humanity exists ubiquitous
  • if its colder than you expected, put all the clothes you have on at the same time, layering, you’re carrying total of 3+ layers. This is rare but means you do not need to over-think the extremes.
  • change your plans, adapt. Intelligence. Use it.
  • if you bought something which exceeds your luggage, use the postal services. This has never happened but its a fall back to never need to worry about exceeding 40L luggage.

Non-Anker example products:

• merino tops , you need 2 of these, 1 on, 1 in the wash, wear both as layers if its unexpectedly cold
  • walking trousers, quantity 2, 1 on, 1 in the wash.
  • over-trousers , wear these over your trousers if cold, windy or damp, or at a pinch as your trousers if your regular ones are not quite out of the wash
  • waterproof trousers, I find these tend to not be required much, but if you’re outdoors a lot in cool damp conditions you have these instead of the above.
  • coat for winter wet conditions (your physically biggest item)
  • parka for winter subzero , this packs smaller than the above
  • coolish dampish jacket
  • down vest
  • winter Buff, or summer Buff

Not all are minimalists like you.
When I took a look at my wife’s luggage I understand you! :grin:

I get it, we’re not equal, some are superior to others. We can either educate or wait for natural selection to filter out non-minimalists. Every decision is either an heirloom or landfill. Life is a journey, not a wardrobe.

When taking a look around I think the minimalists are a minority.
I would like to see more responsibility for our planet from people.
I think the majority the non-minimalists are wasting things we all see this every day.

In my childhood after WWII I was educated to care about things and nature,
poor we were in those days.

Indeed. Anker wants to send me a T-shirt, its cotton, not practical for travel, no thanks. Then they want to send me their next thing, no thanks, have one of them already, its not quite 10 years old and working fine. I’d rather Anker make a better Powercore 10000 which unplugs me from power for a day or two. I go to the supermarket and use my 32 year old bag, or my 15 year old bag, depending how big is the shop.

Future generations will just look at all the plastic in the oceans and wonder what were today’s people thinking… well apparently some people never have enough shoes.

1 Like

I was starting a thread about the plastic wrapping.
A lot of useless plastic wrapping as well is used by ANKER. :rage:
There is NO NEED.

I am not a green, but :

Would have to be anker power core 20100 I love that thing :+1:

I agree Franz

I’m no middle class hippy, chomping on tofu, with white dreads, I’m normal working class.

I do think the “throw-away” attitude we have now, ain’t good. We seem to accept that something breaks, just replace it. Stuff ain’t made to last anymore.

It’s too easy to buy cheap, and keep buying cheap. It was only ??? So just get a new one, not worth fixing it!

Me n you and a few others come from a generation, that fixed it. We didn’t have the money to just bin n replace. The difference was, parts weren’t hyper expensive, and stuff was made to be maintained.

We can’t do much about the micro plastic already in our diets from fish food. We can tho, stop adding to it.

Yes glass jar broke, but glass is endless in being recycled. Plastic only has a certain recycle.lifespan, but glass has infinity lifespan.

Reuse our plastic bags, cotton n organic cotton are actually bad environmentally, and actually worse inmothet ways than a.plastic bag.

1 Like

Make do and mend and make items last long saves money.

For example I hand-wash many of my clothes to reduce the wear on them. Saves electricity, water, so saves money. I don’t spend much time on it in reality, say 2 minutes a day, I just leave them in hot water and stir when I walk past.

There is a common ground of saving money and the planet. Well to be precise, the planet will outlive us, recycle the atoms through plate tectonics and eventually sediment and we’d be a fossil layer to future lifeforms.

Our sun probably makes this planet uninhabitable in about 500M years and complex life is about 600M years old having spend around 3B years as much simpler. Hence so long as humans do not destroy everything above simple life, a future species has time to evolve when we’re gone and wonder WTF we were doing when they see the plastic fossil layer in the rocks.

I dont like the Greens here in Germany
But they made ONLY one thing perfectly in the past.
They installed a deposit system for plastic bottles and beverage cans.
Now all trash boxes are free of those.
And if there are, people catch them (25 Cent for each!)
This was not before this deposit system was becoming law

In France were I have been recently, there is NO such system.
All full of plastic bottles and such cans.
A disaster.

People make an income going around our recycling dustbins, taking out bottles and cans and then selling them by weight at paid-for recycling centres.