Soundcore Liberty Air - Huge bug found?

Just made an account to post about this, I just had this happen too. Not good if the battery dies and your headphones just turn on and drain what’s left of the battery.

1 Like

Exactly.

The huge problem here is that if the case runs out of battery, there’s no way to turn the headphones off, so they will drain out too.

@AnkerOfficial any comments on this? It seems like a major bug on the device. It would be good to at least confirm it.

What do you mean there is no way to turn the headphones off? All you have to do is tap and hold the touchpad until it shuts off.

1 Like

@rtena

What @tank said

Totally useless comment, but thanks tho

I meant while inside the case. What if this happens overnight or while I have them in my pocket? It will run out of battery while inside the case because they didn’t turn off.

Anyway, it seems @AnkerOfficial doesn’t really care about this.

Listen, I use mine while at work every night and I only charge my case once a week if that. Yes I have had the case run out of battery and my headphones have Never turned on by themselves while inside the case. Sure the case battery died but my headphones still had their charge…

And if your that worried, keep the case charged

First of all, no need to be rude, this is a friendly community forum. Provide solutions, not problems.

Second, you’re*.

Third, I’m so glad you are not experiencing this issue. I do. And I’m not the only one, so it is not a one-time case. If it doesn’t happen to you, I’m happy for you, no need to keep commenting if it’s not going to provide value.

Enjoy your flawless headphones.

1 Like

@rtena My apologies I didn’t mean to come off as being rude. I ran my case down last night to try and mimic the same issue you were experiencing. First two times before I didn’t experience this, but last night I did… my right earbud had no charge and couldn’t charge because the case was dead and thus did not turn off, my left earbud which was already in the case and had a full charge did not turn on. Since there was still a charge on the right earbud and not quite dead placing it in the case didn’t turn it off as you have found. I ended up manually turning it off my holding down the button and then placing it in the case.

what gets me is the left earbud never turned on, it was only when i placed my right earbud which was already on that it didn’t turn off when placed inside the case. they need to make it a magnetic switch and not rely on power being applied, this way it will always remain off when in the case regardless of its state of charge.

NOW I get what you were experiencing and I agree it is a problem they need to address, again sorry for before as I never meant to be rude so please forgive me

1 Like

No worries. I see you reproduced the issue yourself so we can all agree it is design defect.

I’m still amazed that @AnkerOfficial has not yet commented here.

1 Like

Still no comments…

I guess that’s the proximity sensors job on the airpods … since the battery is dead in the case, they automatically “assume” they’re out of the box because there is no voltage on the charging pins and i bet anker forgot to implement when the pins get shorted they should stay off because they’re in the case or some trick with the magnet and a hall sensor, come on “we” landed on the moon 50 years ago … (hence the no response, someone forgot something in the r&d department).
I guess the only workaround is to turn off the bt on each disconnect (ifttt can do it i guess) then they’ll get “bored” and turn off. The only drawback is that you have to turn them back on manually if you want to use up the last set of juice in them.

This kinda blows. I just assumed that the earphones would shut off (or go on standby) if I removed it from my ears. So you’re telling me that if I remove the Liberty Air earbuds from my ear and just leave them on my desk, that they will run out of battery within hours?

:rage:

There is ZERO chance that I’d be turning them on/off manually after each use. I guess I’ll just have to make sure that the charger always has plenty of power.

Just send them back if you have the chance. I would, but none of my issues are eligible for a 100% return at the shop if you know what i mean. They just check it and send the same product back …
But as I said in the post above yers, turn off the bt on device disconnect, then they’ll go off …

I agree with both, but I still kept mine. The issue bothers me a lot but is not a dealbreaker. It’s still the best replacement to airpods you can get, better noise isolation, better sound quality, similar case size, etc.

This is a minor bug however has all the potential to cause a havoc.

Scenario: Liberty Air case is low on battery and finally goes OFF. You are on an important phone call or emergency call. Earbuds now automatically pair to you phone ( BT is always operational on smartphone unless you turn it off) you lose 5-10 second of precious time on the emergency call before you wear the earbuds or turn off BT on your phone.

@AnkerOfficial should take note of this bug and mitigate it.

Haven’t run into the issue yet personally but I’ll see if i can recreate it as well. Though if its affecting you weekly, might as well just take note and turn off bluetooth when your battery case is low if you haven’t already. Hope things work out !

Anker Support Team responded to my email:

SoundCore Support Team
5:18 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

Dear XXXX,

So sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been caught up by the work recently.

Please know if you put the earbuds into the charging case when the case had only one dot out of three of the battery, the earbuds will be off, then its rest battery won’t be drained. But if the battery is totally used, then the earbuds will be triggered to power on, and it will try to pair to the last device it was connected to. I am afraid it is designed this way and currently, we have no way to change this for the SoundCore Liberty Air headphone. So sorry for the inconvenience!

As far as I know, some competitors are able to make their earbuds shut off all the time in the charging case, however, they also need to turn on the earbuds manually. I have forwarded your forum link to our product manager to consider. I am sure they will consider this feature for newer models in the future.

Meanwhile, except for this feature, may I know if this headphone still works fine for you? Please be assured we always stand by our products and provide an 18-month warranty for all quality issues.

Looking forward to your reply.

It looks to me it depends whether you put them back in the case when the case has or has not battery on it.

On my side, I have verified that even when the case has no charge, they turn off when I put the battery back in, so there must be some load applied to it. But if you leave it overnight, it will discharge.

2 Likes

thanks for posting this!!!

The earbuds should be turned off - period… when in the case. Turning on manually should not be a problem, simple tap on the earphone while wearing should be good

1 Like

now that’s what i call a customer support, admitting the flaw and improving products based on feedback.
not some wishy washy explanation that you as a user can’t use the product and they need to teach you what do you like and what do you want, at random company with an apple shaped logo.
keep up the good work, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like