Soundcore Icon Mini, a Review

Updating as per @ndalby recommendation.

OK, just got my hands on the new Soundcore Icon Mini.

Some pics…

Wait, what??? A plastic box??? Where’s my cardboard??

First thought was quickly sorted though - there is a recycle symbol on the bottom, so we can recycle the plastic…

At least my Happy? is in there…

It is small! But it is weighty. Not heavy, not too light either - feels sturdy, weighty. Absolutely not a criticism, a few of my colleagues said it felt like it was quality.

Haven’t had much of a chance to test audio quality yet. But this thing is pretty loud! Enough that you can feel the desk vibrating with the bass.

One thing that makes me sad… The power on and off noise has changed - I liked the old one, I knew where I was with the old one!

Apart from that, loving it so far. Will update after I’ve had chance to test properly against some of the other speakers at home. And after explaining to the boss why we needed another Anker speaker!!!

OK, quick update on this as I’ve been playing with it for a few days.

Some more pics - including the obligatory water shots!

Next to my Soundcore Mini 2

I do love getting these things wet!!

I’ve had a listen to a few different genres over the last few days with this, from dance to heavy rock - handles everything well - usual caveat that I’m not an audiophile, but I know what I like…

I’ve compared this to my Mini 2 as per the pics, as I got the Icon Mini to replace the Mini 2 for travelling… The smaller form factor, especially the flatter shape is easier for packing/travelling.

Side by side, the Mini 2 has more bass - a given because of the size, but it also sounds a bit ‘trebly’. The Icon is lovely and warm in comparison, it’s a really nice sound and I still can’t get over how much sound there is from such a small unit.

Battery life so far is amazing, but who would be surprised at an Anker product having a good battery! Played a couple of hours on this and the battery is showing 75% on my phone, hasn’t been near a charger yet…

Great job again, Anker - love it!

11 Likes

A very good start for a detailed review. Continue to explore the features and options, quality of the product and update as you go.
:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Wow, that was fast delivery…still waiting on mine :cold_sweat:

Does seem bigger than I thought it would be (using the swiss army knife for ref)

3 Likes

Nice review. The pictures were definitely helpful. I absolutely HATE the plastics box. It should be cardboard. If anker starts moving this way into cheaper products I will be very disappointed. This is the first product I haven’t seen the quality I expected from anker.

5 Likes

Can’t say I was too overjoyed at the plastic box - I can see some of the reasoning behind the design, makes it easier to hang in a shop etc. and the clear plastic is nice to be able to see the product - but I do prefer the nice white and blue cardboard.

3 Likes

nice review!

2 Likes

Nice review!!! :clap:

Great job! :slight_smile:

I LOVE the form factor on that thing. Thanks for the photos - I had no idea about the scale. it’s tiny, but has the look of the original soundcore sport xl, which I loved.

Good made.
I suppose you own other speakers as well, so a “sound contest”
would be nice.
The speaker is really tiny, so I wondering what “kind of sound” is coming out from this small thing.

Always too much plastic with the packing. :angry:

Nice pics for size comparison

Nice, I love the size and look of it. Can’t wait to see how well it holds up to your standards for sound quality.
As far as the packaging goes, I’m not a fan of it but at least it’s recyclables and no worse for harm than the boxes were. I get where Anker was coming from by using plastic, in that they can be placed in retail stores and can be easily seen. Now they can compete directly with the higher end speakers which also comes in similar packaging

Thanks for the review!

OK, quick update on this as I’ve been playing with it for a few days.

Some more pics - including the obligatory water shots!

Next to my Soundcore Mini 2

I do love getting these things wet!!

I’ve had a listen to a few different genres over the last few days with this, from dance to heavy rock - handles everything well - usual caveat that I’m not an audiophile, but I know what I like…

I’ve compared this to my Mini 2 as per the pics, as I got the Icon Mini to replace the Mini 2 for travelling… The smaller form factor, especially the flatter shape is easier for packing/travelling.

Side by side, the Mini 2 has more bass - a given because of the size, but it also sounds a bit ‘trebly’. The Icon is lovely and warm in comparison, it’s a really nice sound and I still can’t get over how much sound there is from such a small unit.

Battery life so far is amazing, but who would be surprised at an Anker product having a good battery! Played a couple of hours on this and the battery is showing 75% on my phone, hasn’t been near a charger yet…

Great job again, Anker - love it!

Question for the mods though - and I really couldn’t care less about “farming” bucks, which seems to be an annoying topic on here at the moment. I really couldn’t care about them either, only time I’ve won anything on a Power Draw, got sent the wrong item as my prize as was told tough. Not that I’m bitter :smiley:

Question is, as this is an update, and the point of the review forum is for people to see about products, should I have done a new thread for a slightly longer review?

3 Likes

Nice job you did.

Good you closed the drain.
The little one would have got lost! :grin:

1 Like

I would suggest you add your updates to the first post and just change the thread title…

…just waiting on Amazon UK to ratify my review to get a link for the PU completion form…couldn’t fit in a video review at the moment…perhaps in a week or so :frowning2:

When I get back on my laptop I will make the changes.

I’ve submitted my Amazon review too. Did a few other items on there at the same time, hoping maybe that will not raise any flags…

None have been ratified just yet. Taking a bit longer than usual too…

Same here, did a review last Saturday for another item I purchased and they did not accept the review until Thursday…

It takes always a while.
Hope they will accept it.
Otherwise the usual procedure!

Is that still a micro USB port? I got the email and ordered it then canceled when I saw it… It is 2019… USB C would be appropriate, also I do not like the plastic box it comes in…