Review: Anker 5-in-1 USB-C Hub

Anker have developed a great USB-C Hub, perfect for those with new laptops/macbooks that are lacking in ports! The world is not quite ready for solely USB-C so until then this is a perfect hub for connecting your existing accessories.

I have been using the latest MacBook Pro with Touch Bar since September 2017, as a photographer it has forever bugged me that Apple removed the SD Card slot for importing images, HDMI port for plugging into an external monitor and USB ports for plugging in external hard drives with this latest model. Up until now I have been using 3 different dongles to solve these issues, leaving all 4 ports full up and often having to switch between a power cable and another dongle.

The Anker 5-in-1 USB-C Hub solves these issues - I have all the connectors I require with this one connection meaning I can plug in my monitor, hard drives, SD Cards and Micro SD cards without any further dongles. For days out in the field or on the go this means far less to bring with me, invaluable!

The hub comes well packaged like all Anker products I’ve received, the hub is made of solid aluminium and feels like it will survive being in the bottom of a camera bag, it even comes in a nice fabric case if you are particularly precious about scratches. It has a nice polished look and goes well with my space grey MacBook Pro.

Importing images using the SD and Micro SD Card readers is blazing fast (Card Dependent) - I have not noticed it to be any slower than using separate dongles even when exporting files to an external USB hard drive and connected to a HDMI monitor simultaneously. I expected the transfer times to suffer when using all 5 ports on the hub but there is no sign of that here. The 2 USB ports are spaced out nicely which is great as I have previously had issues with USB Hub ports being too close together and being able to use them simultaneously.

To sum up this is a perfect device fulfilling in keeping you connected and will remain with my laptop wherever I go!

Connections:
2 x USB 3.0 Ports
HDMI
SD Card Reader
Micro SD Card Reader

Using the Anker USB-C 5-in-1 Hub to connect my Sony A7ii memory card and GoPro to my MacBook Pro to import a set of images to Adobe Lightroom from a recent client shoot in the French Alps. Great to be able to simultaneously import images from both slots at the same time.

2 Likes

Nice review! I hope you enjoy your product!

1 Like

Nice review. Good to see how a lot of photographers and video editors are finding this hub useful

2 Likes

Brilliant product, fulfils all my needs in a USB-C Hub!

1 Like

Nice review! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Awesome review!

2 Likes

Nice review, thanks

1 Like

Great review @jack_gunter ! Glad this is working out for you. Especially if it reduces all the clutter of additional dongles.

1 Like