PowerPort Atom PD 2 Goes on Sale on April 29!

My initial reactions:

• Price seems high

Look at it this way… The regular price for PowerPort Atom PD 1 is just $4 more expensive than PowerPort Speed 1 USB-C 30W. At $54.99, PowerPort Atom PD 2 will cost $18 more than PowerPort Speed 1 USB-C 60W. :confused:

• Still appears large and heavy

Although the specs may have changed since this was initially unveiled in January 2018 or re-announced in October 2018, it doesn’t look much different in the picture. This means the device is not so small/light… It’s somewhat difficult to believe that this is using GaN.

• Why did this take so long to release?

It has been over 15 months since the initial unveiling at CES 2018.

• Future versions

We already know this is coming soon, which appears to be much more compact.

I suspect we’ll eventually see a version with 60W PD and PowerIQ 2.0 to make for a more ideal solution for those with a combination of high-power PD laptops and QC phones.

• Still a step in the right direction

The more PD solutions Anker offers, the better. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Anjou1888, post:2, topic:68362”]
We actually already knew that this would begin selling next week.
[/quote]How? We were told April, but that could have meant this week.

If this truly is using GaN, I think it’s becoming clear that it doesn’t benefit higher-power devices as much as lower-powered devices.

3 Likes

Basic deduction. Since there’s only one week left in April, it had to be this week. :male_detective:‍♂

thanks @queuebitt for sharing this and @joshuad11 for in-depth details

2 Likes

Which one, though? We didn’t know. This is what I’m talking about…

2 Likes

This is what I meant. Including today, there are 7 days left in April. It does cross over the path of two weeks (weeks resetting at Sunday). So it’s sort of this week, sort of next week, but we knew it had to be in this time period.

I think I’m beginning to confuse both of us :joy:

My Atom PD 1 gets pretty warm when charging my 45w chromebook.

Warm but too warm?

What I’m getting at is that compared to Atom PD 1, Atom PD 2 does not seem so small, even after accounting for the fact that it is twice as powerful.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah if you keep trying to pin it down to details and facts…

This week,next week.

1 Like

Heisenberg uncertainty principal. The more you try to pin down location the less precise you are.

I’d take a statement sent a long time ago a not so precise.

There’s shipping and customs then warehousing to happen before actual selling so can’t be accurate til the last few days before selling.

1 Like

I’m glad it’s finally getting released. I’ll probably wait to see some reviews before actually buying it. I’ve been wanting for a while so I don’t know of I’ll be able to wait :joy:

1 Like

I’m uncertain about life at this point…

So will it have another smaller version (GaN ?) later ?

:disappointed_relieved: I need to stop ordering stuff, I don’t have nothing to charge any more. So many great deals and no much money

The Atom PD 1 gets as warm as many other USB-C PD chargers. While GaN tech makes the power transfer cooler, reducing the size does not. The two end up canceling each other out.

Instead of thinking of GaN as cooler think of it as smaller, but same temperature. If you tried the same thing with silicon you’d get more heat at a smaller size.

I only wish of a future where everything is USB-C. Like, wall chargers with 4 USB-C ports and you can carry USB-C cables for everything. I can only hope.

1 Like

It is gallium nitride… the size if it is what is throwing some of us off… it seems to large for a GaN Charger…

That’s the answer I was looking for. Well put as always @queuebitt

@joshuad11 - Not too warm, just warm. unexpectedly so. But the size/heat ratio makes sense as an explanation for this.

2 Likes

Will, for a two port 60w PD charger it is pretty small compared to other chargers of the same spec

Ohhh… thanks for the info, because I saw a photo of smaller version in some website, so that’s why I’m not sure if it’s the same product or has another version soon. It seem to say that it be lunch on April too lol