PowerPort+ and iPad Pro: allegedly charging, but battery percentage is decreasing

Basically as subject. I bought a PP+ from Amazon and plugged my iPad Pro into the USB-C port about 30 minutes ago. When I plugged it in, the battery was at 67%, it then dropped to 65%, then 62, then 60. It has now gone back up to 63, and has been stuck on 63 for around 10 minutes.

Now, obviously this falls into the category of Things That Are Not Supposed To Happen - so what’s going on here, then…? The cable isn’t Anker, but it is labelled as being able to support PD, and I understood that iPad Pros also support PD, am I wrong in that assumption…?

Is it the charger - or my iPad…? This is the first USB-C device I’ve had (with the exception of a shared 2016 MBP); sometimes the battery percentage will be replaced with ‘not charging’, which is why I bought the PP+ (it’s just ticked over to 64%, if iPad Pros DO support PD, this is hardly what I’d call fast charging! 15 minutes per % = 25hrs charge time).

It’s running a beta version of iOS (11.4.6 I think) but I don’t think that’s anything to do with it - is it…? I’d run it down to <5% if I had any faith it’d actually function again! It’s still under warranty, but the nearest Apple Store is a 200 mile round trip away and I’m in no fit state to make the trip.

It’s still stuck on 64%. And now it’s dropped to 63 again! ARRGHHH! :angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:

Sorry, I couldn’t find a way to edit the body, just the subject, but what I meant to say was is there any way I can determine what’s a fault (changer or iPad)…?

Try another cable that is the most common culprit for problems like the one you described. Also the USB-c port on the powerport+ is the only port capable of power delivery so make sure to use a Apple certified Type-C to lightning cable only available from Apple.

Also check to see if the USB-c port on the charger and
lightning port on the tablet are not obstructed with Lint. If they are first try to blow out lint that doesn’t work very gently use a wood toothpick to remove the lint. The ports are very sensitive so don’t stick anything metal in there. I also forgot to mention when messing with the ports the charger should be unplugged and tablet off.

The little pencil at the bottom of your first post is how you edit.

Best of luck and do not hesitate to ask any other questions you might have. Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

You can also download a battery charging info App. I know of Ampere and Accubattery on the Android side, but I’m not sure if they are also on Apple’s Platform. I’m sure there are other options however. This will tell you how much power the iPad is drawing unplugged and how much of a charge it’s getting plugged in. You can also get a USB multi-meter (Drok or Eversame are good ones) that will show you real time how many Amps the charger is supplying to the iPad. This will help you narrow down the issue.

Best guess without those would be either the cable or you have a rogue app running in the background that’s killing the battery.

2 Likes

Why would he use a type c to type c to charge an iPad? You need lightning at one end, unless you use a dongle.

@revolutionsystem you are 100% correct. I misread that and thought @sarah.j.balfour was using a s3 tablet. Whoops. Thanks for catching that.

1 Like