[New Release] PowerPort Atom III (Two Ports) | Anker’s First Charger with PowerIQ 3.0!

I’ve actually started do the research for some buying guide options for their various product lines and host them on my website.

Are you doing video guides or to a website?

This looks a better option for me than the Atom PD 1. I generally need to charge one USB-C device and one or two Micro-USB devices.

1 Like

Well @AnkerOfficial I’d love to test that on my massive 4,100 battery in my Galaxy S10 plus.

Anything to bring down the potential 3hr charge.

Do you accept the challenge… Or is this USA only… AGAIN‽

Defo gonna be US only for a month or two. But you knew that :wink:

1 Like

USA is the single largest market, it is typically USA for a while. I agree with Oggyboy probably 4-6 weeks delay til in UK / Europe.

Personally I’d like a slide-off multi-socket type solution, in USA its a slide-off folding pin, and slide on a UK or EU non-folding, for country portability. But then I travel more than most here.

1 Like

This is an upgraded PowerPort PD II. It is the same size and about the same weight. The use of GaN tech allows it to output 45W over USB-C instead of 30W in the same form factor. The plug does fold (took me a while to find that in the listing).

The PowerPort PD II has 30W USB-C Power Delivery on the USB-C port. And PowerIQ 2.0 on the USB-A port. PowerIQ 2.0 is compatible with Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging and Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. If you have a newer Samsung phone or Android with QC support it’ll fast charge on the USB-A port. Phones that support USB Power Delivery (newer iPhones, Google Pixel) fast charge on the USB-C port. The USB-C port can also handle tablets, the Nintendo Switch (handheld), and up to 12-inch laptops.

The new PowerPort+ Atom III has 45W PowerIQ 3.0 on the USB-C port. Anker is listing PowerIQ 3.0 as supporting USB Power Delivery and PowerIQ 2.0. It is essentially USB Power Delivery and Quick Charge 3.0 on the same port. This is not new in the market, though it is for Anker.

The new USB-C port should fast charge more phone models. In addition to iPhone and Google Pixel it’ll also fast charge Samsung and QC using Android phones. Motorola phones might have a problem fast charging. In my experience they don’t do so with Quick Charge 3.0 over USB-C. But as PowerIQ 3.0 is slightly different tech it may work.

The new USB-C port supports higher output. Meaning it can handle up to most 13-inch/14-inch laptops. A 13-inch MacBook Pro would charge fine on this charger, provided you weren’t playing video games or doing resource intense work all day.

The USB-A port is the same on both chargers. This would allow new PowerPort+ Atom III could fast charge two Samsung or Quick Charge using phones.

It is worth noting this charger wouldn’t quality for USB-IF certification. Putting a fast charging standard on the USB-C port is against USB specifications. It hasn’t been a problem in real world use, but would disqualify this charger for certification. The PowerPort PD II is certified.

Look at the PowerPort+ Atom III over Anker’s other USB-C/USB-A chargers if you:

• Have a 13-inch/14-inch USB-C laptop
  • Want to power the Nintendo Switch in its dock
  • Want to charge the 2018 iPad Pro as fast as possible
  • Want to fast charge two Samsung USB-C phones together

For those interested in help identifying the best charger for them I host a quiz and detailed listing of USB-C chargers here. Covers more than just Anker. But once you narrow down your category you can use the search field to limit it to only Anker listings.

1 Like

Apart from king geek, what is your job? … Idiot proof it!

@Oggyboy, yeah, I know, I knew it, but would be nice once in twenty years or so, for something to come out in Europe first.

@AnkerOfficial did originally state, the INFINI would be released in UK/Europe, but as usual, backtracked n released in USA first.

@professor, the idea of sliders, would be great. It’s what they’ve done with a previous wall charger (the lite, I think). Don’t know what’s stopping them swapping plugs on the extension leads… Just like every other company does (even the factory in China makes other stuff for UK market).

I will be waiting for your guide. Even if not buying anything, at least to understand it better way.

1 Like

Thanks, this will make it easier for customers / consumers to decide which charger they need. Anker should have included it on the product description in the first place.

May be Anker can incorporate the guide you will be building upon :slight_smile:

1 Like

It should charge at 12W like PowerIQ 1.0 ports.

Fast charge for iPhone is 18W.

I plan on posting a few simple guides here on the Power Station.

Interesting… can you help me understand why this won’t charge my phone at 15w?

It’s not the USB-A port that can’t take it, otherwise it wouldn’t output 15w.

It’s not the lightning port, because a USB-C charger can output 18w.

Is the cable just not able to carry 15w due to too much resistance (just learned about this the other day :joy:)?

Or is Apple just putting some sort of cap on it, to force people to buy the PD supplies?

If it’s the former, coudnt anker make a regular lightning cable that could take 15w?

Thanks In advance!

The iPhone 8 and later models can fast charge one of two ways.

The first is via USB-C that supports USB Power Delivery, using a USB-C to Lightning cable. They have a draw limit of 15W (9V/1.67A). That’s built into the phone. In general they don’t actually draw much more than 10W unless the battery is nearly dead and you’re using it with heavy power demands.

The second is via USB-A that supports Apple 2.4A, using a regular Lightning cable. Apple 2.4A is an outdated, but still in play, fast charging standard Apple made before USB-C. That has a max draw rate of 10.5W. In real world practice USB Power Delivery charges faster if the iPhone’s battery is between 0-30%. The gap between the two narrows as you approach 50%. And by 70% both fast charging standards stop and normal charging kicks in.

Most of Anker’s USB-A ports support Apple 2.4A. So this new charger will fast charge the iPhone up to 15W via USB-C (but probably closer to 10W if you measured it at random). And probably up to 10.5W (buy probably closer to 8-9W measured at random) via USB-A. If charging overnight the difference doesn’t matter. If charging for only 30 minutes you’ll probably get more charge via USB-C.

The iPhone charges more slowly than most current Android phones with USB-C. Even with the most ideal charger and cable setup.

@joshuad11 said fast charge is 18w.?.?. I’m even more confused now…

The iPhone is compatible with 18 w Power delivery, a standard provided by the USB-c port. Apple is a little different than most because it will accept the power delivery over USB-c to lightning instead of just c to c.

Quick charge is a proprietary technology by Qualcomm that requires a chip in both the charger and the receiving device to activate. The iPhone does not have this and will only draw 12 w.

All the numbers are maximums though, the iPhone draws slower as the battery reaches full to protect it.

18W = 9V/2A, which is more than enough for the iPhone. It is more common than 15W with 9V/1.66A. Usually when a USB-C charger lists 15W it is 5V/3A, which will not fast charge the iPhone. There’s what the phone will do. Then what common type of charger works well with the phone.

I test a lot of USB-C PD chargers with an iPhone. I rarely see it actually draw more than 10W. And that’s with the iPhone’s battery ~20-30% and active. I’ve never seen anything close to 18W, even with a 0% battery. I have seen close to 15W, but lasted about a minute before it reduced rate.

Bottom line is you can fast charge with USB-C provided it offers USB Power Delivery and 18W or better. Again, the iPhone doesn’t use the full 18W. But that is a common spec and easy to spot in a product listing.

2 Likes

Apple does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge. Apple devices are capped at 12W (5V at 2.4A) via USB-A. With Power Delivery (via USB-C), iPhone can accept up to 18W (9V at 2A).

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @joshuad11. I’ll probably get this along with the PowerPort Atom PD 2. Probably not next weekend but sometime down the road I will. I own the Anker PowerPort II UL Certified 49.5W so this new charger would be a nice ‘upgrade’.

1 Like

[quote=“Isaac_Schloss, post:11, topic:68915”]
I wonder if Usb-C powerbanks will fallow suit
[/quote]“More details on the entire lineup of PowerIQ 3.0 products will be announced in the coming weeks.”

In this case, I would recommend everyone hold off on buying products in other categories until later in the month…

1 Like

Are they really listening to you, though? There are many other things you’ve asked for that we still have yet to see…