Nebula computer

it would be awesome if nebula makes a small projector with windows software on it so you have every thing in one

if that existed i would for sure want one

Not sure why a seasoned member replied to their own thread… but I’ll bite.

You can do this now, already.

When you mean Windoze you’re primarily meaning an ecosystem of applications available exclusively for, or tuned for, Windoze platform. Those applications are rare, as many applications now are on Android, Linux, ChromeOS, IOS and MacOS. Anker makes projectors with Android, which would cover most things already, but not everything.

Also implied by Windoze is you mean a high performance system, Intel chipset, lots of RAM, a big fast harddrive, etc. Well those in projectors would be challenging, the volume of sales of such is low , the unit price so expecting to be high, you’d not be able to get the pixel density or brightness of a Windows PC in a tower or power laptop.

So what I think you need is:

Where you plug in to a Windows system, that system has all the apps and oomph and the projector only projects.

Or:

• An RDP client for Android, you take existing Android on existing Anker projectors and use an RDP client to access it remotely, so desktop sharing. BT keyboard / mouse and you got what you asked for.

I use this myself from time to time, where I remotely access a Windoze system from Android like off my phone or tablet for a specific niche Windoze-only app. Not done this for … months…

Or:

• Windows on an HDMI stick
    You can then move it around between hi-res monitors, into TVs, a projector, etc. The downside of this is while you get Windoze, you do not get performance. But if you need is for low performance Windoze, you got it.

Are you asking to merge the idea of a low performance Windoze device within a projector? That all you need is going to be a tall ask (as in I doubt its what you’d buy) because it lacks the traditional reasons now why someone wants Windows (rather than a phone or tablet) of lots of performance.

I suspect most here will separate their OS needs from their projector needs, they will use any built-in OS inside their projector for popular media streaming (Android does this now well enough) or will just use HDMI to project off their preferred OS. Eventually USB-C becomes the cable standard and power standard but not there yet in 2019.

6 Likes

If you design something it should be usable with ALL OS, not Windoofs only. :relaxed:
And never forget Android is free as LINUX as well.

1 Like

would something like a chrome book be practical since it has almost nothing to run

So what does the projector give you and take away from you?

A projector gives:

• potential for a large viewing area, which would make sense for sharing, e.g. a business presentation.
  • portability of the viewing area, you just need a light-ish flat-ish surface (e.g. wall)

A projector removes:

• brightness
  • resolution
  • quietness, anything you do to improve brightness or resolution causes heat which needs a fan to extract.
  • a fan will make it less portable, and anything you do to make bright or higher resolution can end up non-portable, not battery operated and arguably worthless.

So given all of these physics technology constraints, what Windoze application do you need which requires a portable projector which is not work business application specific?

This comes down to not talking the platform, but the applications. Name an application uniquely on Windows you need which needs a projector.

1 Like

i just wanted a computer with a screen that is small.
thanks

How small?

I am still waiting on postie for bone conducting glasses, which combined with my LTE smartwatch means I got a mini computer with me (for not watching media but e.g. to look up information, notifications, read email, navigating).

1 Like

that just looks awesome!!
and something that would work well for what i had in mind

SO with the every growing phones now and we got huge TV screens, I have been exploring the smaller end.

The physically smallest is just an LTE capable smartwatch, but these only last about 4 hours or so fully independent on its own, the battery life vs electronics needs still a number of improvements, which I am sure will happen within say 5 years.

You can go very small phone, such as this one:

You do get a small screen but obviously typing on it is painful so it may work better with voice recognition.

There are various head-up display options, these are very expensive currently. e.g.

I suspect the current sweetspot of technology, usability with cost are just using sound in sunglasses for summer, as on the basis in winter you’re wearing enough clothes to store a high-end phone and you can talk to it through Google Assistant / etc. These are now in the $100 - $200 range.

The ones I got coming (very slowly from China) are these

I am also waiting to see some hands-on reviews of these which are shipping

Anyhow, it is pouring with rain here, I’m out for a walk now with my $26 Soundcore Spirit and my $179 LG Watch Urbane 2 to the supermarket where I’ll pay off my wrist. I want to move to bone conduction to keep my ears clear for safety of hearing vehicles, currently I often just put 1 bud in one ear when not crossing traffic and clear both ears when crossing traffic. Imperfect but its about as good a system I found so far.